How formal is formal?

mimigirl54

Thanks for the link! It was very interesting to see what other people have actually worn to formal nights on different cruises.

I don't have anything Oscar worthy for pete's sake! It's good knowing that a pretty dress will work as long as it isn't capable of doubling as a cover up. And you know, no flip flops with it either. :)

Odd you should say that, we once cruised, (Barge cruising), with one guy who was an avid cyclist. Every day he was off on a bicycle.... ...anyway, as you can imagine, we always saw him in some cycling gear. At the end of the cruise, on the "formal night", he shows up in a suit & tie wearing sandles. it was quite funny and fit his personality well. So maybe the moral to the story is that whatever fits your personality, whithin the dress code,(moore or less), would be appropriate :)

and Mrs Banjo, sometimes swaps gowns and dresses with our adult nieces just to change things up, at little or no cost.

• 1 month later...
I would have to add Silversea and Crystal to this, both lines also have compliance with formal night.

I must express my disappointment with HAL on the matter of formal night, as there was little adherance to the dress code and shorts were allowed in the mdr on formal night which kinda defeats the object. I certainly felt overdressed, although I did get tons of nice comments, it was a real shame there were not more people joining us. We had travelled over 12 hours to get to the US and managed to take formal wear,so i am at a loss as to why many from the US use luggage space as a formal night excuse???

Just curious, was it intentional that you didn't add Seabourn to this list?

My husband and I love to cruise because it gives us an opportunity to dress up, however, I have never worn a long gown for formal night, and he now wears a dark suit. Why anyone would be so imperious as to critique another's wardrobe is beyond me. I like knee length dressy dresses, and they have served me well on our many HAL cruises even at the black and white ball.

minigirl,

What you plan to bring is perfect. I used agonize over what to wear on formal night. Then I realized that I couldn't describe one outfit that the ladies at my table wore. :p Guess I'm not a fashionista but I suspect that most folks are like me. I do enjoy people watching on formal night. Everyone does try to look their best, or almost everyone. On my last cruise we had nine formal nights and I can't imagine anyone packing nine full length gowns with shoes etc. and meeting the airline weight restrictions. I would have had to wear them 24/7!:D Wear what you love and wear a big smile and don't worry over it.

Carole

I'm sorry, sorry, sorry for posting another formal night question. :o

But I can't find an answer to my rather specific question, so here goes.....

How formal are formal nights? We are going on a 20 night Trans Canal cruise on the Statendam in about four weeks. I am planning on bringing one long dress (the one I wore to my daughter's wedding) and two short ones (about knee length or a little longer). The long one is pretty "fancy". The short ones are less so. Rather light material, sleeveless, with some understated bling-bling. Will the short ones look out of place? I really hope not, because they're easy to pack, don't wrinkle, and don't take up as much room as a fancy-schmancy dress. ;)

Comments? Advice? Thanks!

You'll be fine! :)

My DH and I are going to Alaska and I am looking forward to the formal nights and fully intend to get dressed up in my 'posh frocks' I think it's all part of my idea of what cruising is all about. I just hope we are not outnumbered by the ones who don't dress up!

Archived