Valuables at the beach

tomculb

Well, thats a good question. Some beaches have lockers. I wouldnt bring your passport, its not necessary. If I were you, I would get a waterproof safe you can keep on your person. Its usually will have a strong rope on it, where you can wrap it around your body. It will fit cash and credit cards but probably not your camera, which could pose a dilemma. I still havent solved that problem, but when I was in Korea, I saw people with water proof cases that held all that stuff, including your camera. They needed them for a festival called mudfest, so it was messy and people seemed satisfied with the quality of protections, I am just not sure they can be submerged.

I have purchased from the Waterproof store the ALOKSAC package of several sizes of waterproof bags which I use on excursions. Never know when your bag is going overboard. Use them for passports, iPods, blackberry, etc. I also use an Aquapac for my camera because I like to take pictures while I snorkel and swim. It takes ok pictures - more cost effective than those underwater throwaway film cameras. It is basically a waterproof bag on a string. If I have security issues I just pop everything in there. It is quite roomy. Best investment.

What do people do with wallets, passports, cameras and the like while swimming at the MexRiv beaches?

I do the same thing I do when I'm on the beach here in Chicago: I leave at home anything I cannot afford to lose/have stolen - particularly so if I'm on the beach by myself (with no friends or family). Persons with concessions to provide food/beverage along the beaches will oftentimes take care of small valuables, such as cameras - and when I ask them to do that I leave an extra gratuity at the end of the day.

I don't usually take my passports....just good pdf scans. You never know. Plus I usually take the Amex card and a small amount of cash and DH takes a different credit card and a small amount of cash. The camera and the iPod shuffles can all go in the waterproof pouch.

DO you think its a completely bad idea to leave your passport on the ship while your on your excursion?

I've NEVER taken my passport with me, though I carry a copy of it. There are many different opinions of this, so do what you're comfortable with.

I'm never usually that busy in the water not to pay attention to my "stuff" and if necessary, I've also asked the person sitting next to me it they wouldn't mind keeping a quick eye out. As always, especially when traveling, be aware of your sourroundings and movements of others.

Where can I buy a waterproof pouch? Basically the only stores I have in town are Canadian Tire and Wal-mart, would they carry something like that?

I don't know if Walmart would have them and I have no idea what Canadian Tire is. I bought mine at REI and I know you can get them online from Amazon.

Archived