Increased security processing

roger001

Getting off the Spirit in New Orleans this past Sunday was a very lengthy event. With apparent increased security, for now I recommend you do not plan early flights back home. With a 9:30 proposed exit from the Spirit, we did not exit until 11 am and didn't clear customs until noon. Each passenger had their passport scanned by customs and had to wait for a computer check. Poor NCL employees were being abused by some rude agressive passengers although their was nothing NCL could do about the delays. NCL would have loved to get us off the ship. To the credit of customs officers, they did have all of the stations working and all the employees were understanding, friendly, and professional. It was just a very slow process.

There is no "norm". Whenever there is something going on somewhere in the world -- like the subway terrorist attack in Russia -- security increases, changes, becomes more or less an issue. You have to be prepared for delays, and be prepared for arbitrary rulings. Stuff that was "OK" yesterday might not be OK today..or tomorrow..then be OK again.

When we flew to Miami a few weeks back the security checks at London Heathrow were immense. When flying Miami to Heathrow 2 weeks later they were minimal.

I think these things are luck of the draw as well as reactionary to whatever is going on in the world. These days I always arrive 3 hours before I am due to fly and I am always prepared for that time to be eaten up by security. It is the times we live in. To have freedom your freedom needs to be reduced.

Nowadays one must allow extra time for traveling and to be prepared to go with the flow. Flying in the day before and flying out the day after a cruise may not be a bad idea for planning purposes. As many have said an incident on the other side of the world will have an effect on security on the side of the world you are on. Right now my family drives because it's a lot cheaper than flying all 7 of us but I might continue to drive after the kids leave just to avoid the hassle of flying:rolleyes: (of course by then we'll be able to afford the 7 day cruises out of NY or Boston:D).

Getting off the Spirit in New Orleans this past Sunday was a very lengthy event. With apparent increased security, for now I recommend you do not plan early flights back home. With a 9:30 proposed exit from the Spirit, we did not exit until 11 am and didn't clear customs until noon. Each passenger had their passport scanned by customs and had to wait for a computer check. Poor NCL employees were being abused by some rude agressive passengers although their was nothing NCL could do about the delays. NCL would have loved to get us off the ship. To the credit of customs officers, they did have all of the stations working and all the employees were understanding, friendly, and professional. It was just a very slow process.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I am sure NCL appreciates people like you being understanding as well.

Nita

Archived