Pools and Toddlers

I will be sailing on the Jewel in Oct. with my 20 month old twins. The NCL rep said my children will be able to swim in the pools (without a swim diaper which is kinda gross but ok...) but I have been hearing from friends that they will not allow a child to swim in the pool if they are not potty trained. Would anyone be able to clarify? Have you seen toddlers swimming or have un-potty trained children who have used the pools? It would be a disspointment to get to the ship and first be told they can't swim.

I will be sailing on the Jewel in Oct. with my 20 month old twins. The NCL rep said my children will be able to swim in the pools (without a swim diaper which is kinda gross but ok...) but I have been hearing from friends that they will not allow a child to swim in the pool if they are not potty trained. Would anyone be able to clarify? Have you seen toddlers swimming or have un-potty trained children who have used the pools? It would be a disspointment to get to the ship and first be told they can't swim.

Get ready to be disappointed! Children that are not potty trained ARE NOT allowed in the pools on any NCL ship.

Sorry but the rules are very clear and enforced to protect everyone on the ship. Swim diapers do a good job containing solids but do very little to contain bacteria that leaches out when submerged. There are studies that indicate a direct correlation between norovirus outbreaks and baby swimming classes at public pools. Hopefully, the pools are hyperchlorinated, shocked, regularly by NCL crew to protect pax from the occasional non-complying parent.

Hopefully, the pools are hyperchlorinated, shocked, regularly by NCL crew to protect pax from the occasional non-complying parent.

There should NEVER be a "non-complying parent" in regards to this. It is disgusting to put a child in a pool with "swimmie" diapers. And no, they do not do a good job of containing the bacteria. If any parent is seen bringing their child into a pool who is not potty trained, even if they are in a swimmie diaper, they should be banned from the pool area for the rest of the cruise. And fined. Sorry to be so adamant about this, but if you read one of my previous posts, I was on a vacation where 2-days in a row the main (and only) pool was shut down because of a mother who brought her child into the pool in "swimmie" diapers. It leaked the first day. Pool had to be drained & sterilized. 94-degrees out and no one could use the pool. (Thank God the ocean was 20 feet away). Day two, "non-compliant mom" brought her toddler in the pool again. Swimmie diaper leaked again. Pool shut down again. No one could swim again.

It is so gross. A child who is not potty trained does not belong in a pool, swimmie diapers or not. Does a small child really, really need to be in a pool? Really? Yuck. I am so glad NCL has such strict rules for non-potty trained toddlers not being allowed in pools.

There should NEVER be a "non-complying parent" in regards to this. It is disgusting to put a child in a pool with "swimmie" diapers. And no, they do not do a good job of containing the bacteria. If any parent is seen bringing their child into a pool who is not potty trained, even if they are in a swimmie diaper, they should be banned from the pool area for the rest of the cruise. And fined. Sorry to be so adamant about this, but if you read one of my previous posts, I was on a vacation where 2-days in a row the main (and only) pool was shut down because of a mother who brought her child into the pool in "swimmie" diapers. It leaked the first day. Pool had to be drained & sterilized. 94-degrees out and no one could use the pool. (Thank God the ocean was 20 feet away). Day two, "non-compliant mom" brought her toddler in the pool again. Swimmie diaper leaked again. Pool shut down again. No one could swim again.

It is so gross. A child who is not potty trained does not belong in a pool, swimmie diapers or not. Does a small child really, really need to be in a pool? Really? Yuck. I am so glad NCL has such strict rules for non-potty trained toddlers not being allowed in pools.

Wow! Same mom did the same thing again the second day?!?!? :eek: Talk about thoughtless. First day, she can plead ignorance. Second day, she's just selfish.

The NCL rep said my children will be able to swim in the pools (without a swim diaper which is kinda gross but ok...)

If that NCL rep is telling parents of non-potty trained kids they should simply remove the swimmie diaper or regular diaper as to go unnoticed in the pool, that is terrifying. The threat of norovirus and contamination of bacteria to others is flat out a serious, serious health hazard to everyone.

Wow! Same mom did the same thing again the second day?!?!? :eek: Talk about thoughtless. First day, she can plead ignorance. Second day, she's just selfish.

YES!!!!!!!!!!! Two days in a row. :mad:

I cannot even begin to tell you the horrific words and threats that were thrown her way when on day 3, she showed up to the pool area again with her toddler. She left about two minutes later, with an incredibly loud applause from those lounging around the pool. As she pushed her child away in the stroller, she also turned to all of us and flipped us the bird, so that shows you what kind of person she was. :rolleyes:

YES!!!!!!!!!!! Two days in a row. :mad:

I cannot even begin to tell you the horrific words and threats that were thrown her way when on day 3, she showed up to the pool area again with her toddler. She left about two minutes later, with an incredibly loud applause from those lounging around the pool. As she pushed her child away in the stroller, she also turned to all of us and flipped us the bird, so that shows you what kind of person she was. :rolleyes:

Unbelievable! Talk about chutzpah and self-involved. :mad:

don't know why the rep told you that, absolutely not true. NCL and other lines are very strict about this, not potty trained, swimmy diapers or not, not swim...

Nita

Well thanks for all of your replies. I would never bring my kids in the pool if the diapers were not allowed. The rep said they were allowed in the pool with a bathing suit and no diaper so I guess I was asking if there are babies in the pool without swim diapers and just a simple bathing suit. There is supposed to be a separate kiddie pool anyway right?

As far as the response to if it is necessary to bring your child in a pool, is it necessary to take a vacation at all? Of course not but is it a fun activity for a child, absolutely.

Well thanks for all of your replies. I would never bring my kids in the pool if the diapers were not allowed. The rep said they were allowed in the pool with a bathing suit and no diaper so I guess I was asking if there are babies in the pool without swim diapers and just a simple bathing suit. There is supposed to be a separate kiddie pool anyway right?

As far as the response to if it is necessary to bring your child in a pool, is it necessary to take a vacation at all? Of course not but is it a fun activity for a child, absolutely.

Bottlenose, I don't think the kiddie pool will allow the unpotty-trained in either. I have read about parents bringing small inflatable pools for the little ones. Not being a parent, I don't know a lot about it so I would suggest you check out the family cruising threads (here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49) for more information from parents like yourself. I just did a quick search for the word inflatable over there and found a number of threads about the topic. One person highly recommended bringing something like this:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3417460&CAWELAID=401709195

By they way, I read over there that the only cruiseline that has a pool for the unpotty-trained is Disney.

Good luck and enjoy!

If you think it is gross, how could you think is it ok?:confused:

Did the rep tell you that kids without swim diapers could use the pool meaning ones that didn't NEED one? Is it possible that you misunderstood what they were saying?

Yes, it will be disappointing for your children but consideration for the rest of the pax as far as inconvenience and, more importantly, the possibility of becoming ill is paramount.

I see that you have clarified what the rep told you and it does seem to be a misunderstanding or mis-communication.

BTW, whoever came up with the idea of swim diapers should be shot. They do nothing but contain solids

Just as a follow up question, if I can't take my kids in the main pool (which just to make clear, I would never do if I was not allowed) would my children be allowed in the Sapphire Kids Pool?

What some like to do is bring along a small, inflatable pool for the little ones. They can splash, have a good time and feel like part of the crowd. As to your question? No, kids are not allowed in any pool if they are not potty trained, regardless. This is for the health safety of all of us..

Nita

Mooder- thanks for the link to the family forum! I will do some research there but I am pretty certain I won't be bringing my own inflatable pool! With twins, I have enough stuff to bring on the boat!

I can imagine!

By they way, I read over there that the only cruiseline that has a pool for the unpotty-trained is Disney.

Actually this is not true. Disney has a splash pad for non potty trained children - they cannot go in any of the pools with swimdiapers/if they are not potty trained. When we were there last the crew we very strict on this. One day there was a child that pooped in the pool, they closed the pool until we left the port, then drained it and scrubbed it out.

Actually this is not true. Disney has a splash pad for non potty trained children - they cannot go in any of the pools with swimdiapers/if they are not potty trained. When we were there last the crew we very strict on this. One day there was a child that pooped in the pool, they closed the pool until we left the port, then drained it and scrubbed it out.

Thanks for the clarification, Roxy. The post I read must have been referring to the splash pad - a good idea!

I thought that's what Mooder was referring to, not just any of their pools.

Nita

I'm quite curious why cruises ships don't allow swim diaper babies or toddlers in their pools but public pools do? Children swim in public pools from practically the day they're born. And before I get flamed, I'm not advocating breaking any rules and I'm aware poop can be gross but if Public pools allow babies into them, why not cruise pools?

I'm quite curious why cruises ships don't allow swim diaper babies or toddlers in their pools but public pools do? Children swim in public pools from practically the day they're born. And before I get flamed, I'm not advocating breaking any rules and I'm aware poop can be gross but if Public pools allow babies into them, why not cruise pools?

IMO, communities are simply afraid to upset the parents. Parents of young children control a lot of things (some understandably, some not) and are likely the primary users of public parks and recreational areas. But some towns and states are imposing stricter rules very recently. And, as for private pools, I read of one country club that required all kids up to the age of 15 to wear some sort of swim diaper! Imagine how the kids felt about that!! :eek:

Because they don't have strong chemicals in them, and can't be shocked. They have to be drained and refilled, after being cleaned. In public pools, they clean out the poop, add chemicals, and soon it is safe again (after they test it).

In a public pool if someone gets sick from bacteria they are at home where they'd contaminate only their families or a few neighbors or co-workers. They are not living side by side with thousands of other people they could also contaminate, with just one doctor, limited meds, and no hospital.

That's one reason I can think of.

The rule doesn't come from the cruise ships, it's a united states public health rule. I imagine they are so strict because of illness outbreaks (specifically norwalk) on the ship. Not that illness cannot be spread through land based pools, just ships are a contained space - so its harder to control these outbreaks.

Archived