Which ports have SHUTTLE BUSES and Where do they go?

ski and cruise

Can someone clue me in where to find this information? I phoned Azamara

reservations and got nowhere.They couldn't even tell me which ports offer

shuttle buses, much less where they drop you off.I am particularly interested in the Best Of Italy May15,2010 ports.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

It seems to me even the wording in the announcement was vague - my guess is as the new season unfolds we will discover which ports have this amenity. Hopefully you can get some information as earlier cruisers return and post altho obviously you are also traveling early in the season.

We docked at Livorno on one cruise with Celebrity - had to pay several E's to take us out of the port as it was a huge industrial area. Now this is an example of where I am hoping Azamara provides a free shuttle, at least out of the port to where we can connect with the local buses. I think the port of Rome, well Civit. is a similar set up but there I think the port actually provided free shuttles. I thnk Venice has several docking areas, some are very convenient, a few are further out and we had about a 20 minute trek. In Naples you can pretty much walk off and find the ferries or public transportation into the city.

I think if the port is walking distance then no busses will be provided,if it isnt then a bus to the LOCAL town will be provided, as Azamara tends to dock close to towns it will be a case of wait and see,the main thing will be whos walking distance :):)

I believe I read they will offer the free shuttle where they have had it for a fee in the past.

I believe they had one in Sorrento from the dock into the town. I did not take it as we were picked up by our private tour van.

I know there was a shuttle in Antalya which would be great for people just needing to get into the main part of the city.

From Civitavecchia into Rome is more than a shuttle. I believe Azamara has a bus into the city, or for much less you can easily take the train.

If your Best of Italy includes Taormina, Sicily, you will have a free shuttle. We had to pay 20 euros for a roundtrip ticket (you could preorder tickets on the excursions form). The town is actually about 20 -30 minutes from the dock. There was really nothing at the dock and if you wanted to get to Taormina, your options were the shuttle bus or taxis.

I believe that we also had the opportunity to purchase shuttle tickets for Sorrento but opted not too. It was not a bad walk into the main square of Sorrento.

Hope that helps.

Sue

Sorry - did not mean to say there might be a shuttle to Rome! just out of the port area (as it is huge and industrial). I'm sure Azamara will sell a pricey bus option going from Civit. to Rome - the shuttle would only take you out of the Civit port to where you could take a train to Rome if you want to go in on your own.

Sue: So, let me get this straight. You can buy a shuttle ticket from the shore excursion desk for a transfer from the Port into Taormina for 20E pp? We will be there in June and makes much more sense than purchasing an "On Your Own" excursion for $47pp. Let me know if I am reading your post correctly. Thanks Barb

We were in Sorrento last summer on AZ and purchased a ticket on a local shuttle up the hill. Think it was about 2E. Walked back down.

IF it is a tender port then you will dock near gardina anoxis which is a largest tourist resort so i cant see a free shuttle to Tarmino i might be wrong,we walked about 20 min along the sea front and caught the local bus(got the info from the tourist shop) this cost 2 euros each and drops you just outside Tarmino

Yes - on the shore excursions order form that was in the cabin you could preorder shuttle tickets. You could also purchase them at the dock when you got off of the tender. I'm assuming that the new benefit concerning shuttles would include Taormina. Other than a taxi there is no way to get to the town. It is definitely not walkable. There was one other port where you could preorder shuttle tickets and I thought that it was Sorrento but might have been another. I know that Azamara took a lot of flak for this and may be why they are now offering this as an inclusion.

Hope that helps.

Sue

Btw- Taormina was fabulous. We enjoyed walking around the town - lots of shops, street performers, etc. Had lunch in a wonderful restaurant outside looking down at our ship. Really a very nice day.

Thanks all for your help in jogging my memory.I actually took this same cruise in Apr2008.The current itinerary is slightly different in that Dubrovnik and Trieste have replaced Split, Bari, and Olbia.Does anyone know if shuttle buses will be provided in these two cities?

Linda

Let me disagree with vi1234 about the need for a shuttle.

Last year we docked about 2 miles from the City and in 90 degree heat I would not have fancied the walk.

The previous year we tendered right into the city.

I guess it just depends where they are allowed to park the boat !!

Brian

A Shuttle was provided into Livorno but nobody told us that there was NO RETURN bus between about 12.30 and 2.30.

It was blisteringly hot and there were no taxis to be found anywhere.

We ended up walking in the wrong direction (long story) and eventually went into a cafe and asked them to call a taxi which arrived within 20 minutes.

We were glad to get back to the Ship. The frustrating thing was that other Cruise Lines were providing a 15 minute service.

Oh well we had a great cruise anyway

Brian

Sorry about the shuttle info. We were there only once and were tendered right into the middle of the city.

However, my understanding of the new azamara club change is that they will shuttle you into the any port that is not an easy walk. Silver Sea always does that.

Vivian

Archived