Pacific jewel mini suites - I need your thoughts

Hi we had mini suit 11150 pacific jewel in feb the noise was constant morning noon and night that was port side tho apparently the other side isnt to bad, the room itself is really nice and spacious the perks to me arnt worth it canapes salmon, and another night prawns we didnt touch as we had ate enough in the resteraunts, didnt get the shoe shine or pillow concerage thing, and a couple of other things but didnt miss them anyway, we regret that we paid as much as we did for a little bit bigger room as the balconies were tiny just two small chairs and a table only just enough room for two people smallest balcony we have had actually, I would really think twice before booking but thats your choice read a few of the reviews about the jewel and some other people have posted about the suits

Jacquie

Hi we had mini suit 11150 pacific jewel in feb the noise was constant morning noon and night that was port side tho apparently the other side isnt to bad, the room itself is really nice and spacious the perks to me arnt worth it canapes salmon, and another night prawns we didnt touch as we had ate enough in the resteraunts, didnt get the shoe shine or pillow concerage thing, and a couple of other things but didnt miss them anyway, we regret that we paid as much as we did for a little bit bigger room as the balconies were tiny just two small chairs and a table only just enough room for two people smallest balcony we have had actually, I would really think twice before booking but thats your choice read a few of the reviews about the jewel and some other people have posted about the suits

Jacquie

Hi Jacquie,

thank you for your response... We've actually already booked....well before the ship came to Australia... now im hearing not so good reports and am worried.... we are in 11140.... which is on the same side as you were.... might see if we can be moved to the starboard side.

thanks for your help.

Catherine.

Hi again also just to let you know on Island night you get a letter in your cabin explaining that you might here some noise and that it will go on till 12:30am as its a party basicly right above you and believe me its deafening, yes you will be up on deck also but if you want to go to your cabin before its finished you will need ear plugs:oif you can change your cabin I would definatly recommend doing so hope that helps

Jacquie

Hi lovely people

we would like to hear from anyone that has been in a mini suite on the jewel, worth the money, noise? Perks? Location?

Thank you

regards

cruising at dawn

Hi, We sailed on the NYE cruise on the Jewel and we had a mini-suite 11164 port side, the noise didn't bother us (maybe we were up top making the noise :p ) no seriously, heard a little now and then but nothing to concern us, eg with our balcony door open I recall hearing the music at night which I didn't mind as it seemed like it was bouncing off the ocean, for me it just added to the festive holiday feeling and I enjoyed it but having said that it is easy to close your door! Although we loved having the extra space in our cabin I couldn't justify the $8000-00 plus it cost us!!! overall it didn't meet our expectations particulary when this is suppose to be the best cabins on board :( we have already booked for 9th Jan'11 and have gone back to a balcony cabin and feel this is way better value for us , however if I could have got a better price or if P&O had of looked after us being past cruisers (2 Cruises in 12 mths) I would most likely have booked a mini-suite again. (But we are cruising peak time) Yes, I agree the balconys are small, our friends were very disappointed as they didn't look like the brochure. Had awonderful cruise :) Nett.

Hi,

My fiance and i will be on the jewel over christmas this year. I think, like any other balcony room on that floor you'd experience the same noise? Perhaps going down a floor would be good? We'll be in room 11138, so same floor & same side as everyone else. But we'll most likely be up past midnight anyway, so noise wouldnt be too much of an issue for us.

Does anyone have any photo's of the suites to share? my fiance and i are very interested in seeing some of the ones NOT posted by P&O? and any other photo's of the ship?

we're so excited to go on this cruise. it's our second cruise, last one was in a balcony room on Dawn Princess and we absolutely LOVED it. (the only downside to the balcony is the light comes in VERY early and it's hard to block it out properly) Everyone i speak to doesnt seem to be keen for cruises, but i just tell them it's a luxurious and relaxing means of transport to several destinations. :):)

The only concern i have with this one is the food, i've heard P&O dont usually have good quality food? anybody have any opinions on the food?

Hi,

My fiance and i will be on the jewel over christmas this year. I think, like any other balcony room on that floor you'd experience the same noise? Perhaps going down a floor would be good? We'll be in room 11138, so same floor & same side as everyone else. But we'll most likely be up past midnight anyway, so noise wouldnt be too much of an issue for us.

Does anyone have any photo's of the suites to share? my fiance and i are very interested in seeing some of the ones NOT posted by P&O? and any other photo's of the ship?

we're so excited to go on this cruise. it's our second cruise, last one was in a balcony room on Dawn Princess and we absolutely LOVED it. (the only downside to the balcony is the light comes in VERY early and it's hard to block it out properly) Everyone i speak to doesnt seem to be keen for cruises, but i just tell them it's a luxurious and relaxing means of transport to several destinations. :):)

The only concern i have with this one is the food, i've heard P&O dont usually have good quality food? anybody have any opinions on the food?

We think the good is excellent. If you don't like something, the waiters will immediately take it away and bring you something else.

The disadvantage of balcony cabins on deck 10 is that the railing is solid from the floor up to the rail that is about chest height so you have to be standing up to see the sea. On deck 11 there are a few metal railings between the solid timber rail at the top and the floor meaning you can see through even when you are in bed.

We think the good is excellent. If you don't like something, the waiters will immediately take it away and bring you something else.

The disadvantage of balcony cabins on deck 10 is that the railing is solid from the floor up to the rail that is about chest height so you have to be standing up to see the sea. On deck 11 there are a few metal railings between the solid timber rail at the top and the floor meaning you can see through even when you are in bed.

Deck 11 does sound perfect and I'm not sure if I mentioned this but we changed or cabin to a fixed 11164 and hopefully won't be moved our TA called P&O and had them remove the upgrade option, don't know whaat else there could be to be upgraded too but there you go. So 11164 is at the rear and the last of the mini suites on port side so hopefully the noise will be minimal. The floor plan suggests nothing above us so it could only come from people who are heavy footed when the walk or runners using the track. Does anyone know if the stop the runners from running early in the morning? I know the do ask them not too on the dawn.???

Deck 11 does sound perfect and I'm not sure if I mentioned this but we changed or cabin to a fixed 11164 and hopefully won't be moved our TA called P&O and had them remove the upgrade option, don't know whaat else there could be to be upgraded too but there you go. So 11164 is at the rear and the last of the mini suites on port side so hopefully the noise will be minimal. The floor plan suggests nothing above us so it could only come from people who are heavy footed when the walk or runners using the track. Does anyone know if the stop the runners from running early in the morning? I know the do ask them not too on the dawn.???

You are on deck 11, below the entrance to the Plantation buffet restaurant. The running track is the next deck up (14).

Ooooooooo it can't be, I studied the floor plan. Oh I'm going to cry now.

Hi again, Well you've booked our past cabin 11164! deck 11, one good thing is when you sit on bacony facing the ocean the left side wall is fully enclosed, not visible to your neighbours from that side! and it is the last mini-suite at that end, then the balcony cabins start, am I making any sense to you? a little more private. Oh and if you get the same cabin steward 'Roger' lucky you as he was lovely and so attentive, so thats a couple of positives :) as other poster mentioned its a handy position with plantation buffet down a little further and above you on deck 12, remember there is no deck 13!!! and deck 14 is where the walkers/joggers are so no noise from them...it was a great position for us, also handy when I needed the bathroom and helped me avoid the public toilets! hope I 've made you feel better, so don't cry ;) it will be great :D Nett.

hello Nett.

That makes me feel better... it will be great... we are very excited. Yes i get what you are saying about the Balcony wall... so that will be nice... Ah good... because when we were on deck 4.... it was a long way down to get back to the cabin to use the bathroom. I will look forward to not having that big walk back.

Thanks for your help

So will anybody else be on this christmas cruise? I'm so excited! We'll be on our honeymoon. :rolleyes: We'll be in Hong Kong for 10 nights just before. Our flight from Hong Kong gets in about 9am on the 16th! :eek: So we only have 2 days to come home, wash our clothes, re-pack, open our wedding gifts, exchange christmas gifts then go! It's all going to be hectic but well worth it!:)

We've done the cruise of the pacific islands once before in January 2009. It was just so relaxing and fantastic. I remember i was really worried there wouldnt be enough shopping for me, but i didnt end up needing to shop. Just excited to chill on the beaches & take beautiful photo's. :):)

I'd love to chat with some other people who'll be on this cruise with us.

:D

• 8 months later...

Hi, we r in 11162 on PJ 29/1/11 and this is our first time i am starting to get excited after having booked way back in Feb last year - does any one have any photos of mini-suites and any advice on shore tours for NZ ?? Cheers.

Edited by cruise4anniv

We had a Mini Suite on the Pacific Dawn which should be similar to the Jewel in many ways.

I thought it was ok, not too noisy or anything.

I am not sure if I would pay the extra unless it was a special occasion but that is just me and my budget.

Here are a couple more but like Thied they are Minis on the Pacific Dawn, I can not imagine there being much difference.

2385470420106193210HcIXzn_th.jpg

2365326320106193210cTSBFJ_th.jpg

2822447870106193210zVDnyb_th.jpg

2777892030106193210OKnUIp_th.jpg

2968500800106193210qnwdpy_th.jpg

2895473510106193210aOILLU_th.jpg

Click on the pic to enlarge and then you can make them bigger again if you wish.

Edited by macca46

Not sure if the mini suites on the Jewell are similar but the Dawn mini suites but they are a waste of money,,,,we were on the feb 2010 to nz in mini suite and would never never do it again,,,the noise form the deck chairs directly above and the running track above that were terrible,,,,,we complained everyday about the noise and it didn't make any difference,,,,,save yourself some money and go for deck 10,,,much quieter.The mini suite cost difference is not much more than a normal balcony cabin and there's the reason.

yes the mini suits on the jewel are like the ones on the dawn we had one last feb for husbands birthday, as last poster said noise was a real problem:mad: and to be honest the front desk didnt want to know:eek:I think they must have had meetings on stratergies to appease the disgruntled suit passengers:D

Are cabin was 11150 never again we would just book a balcony which is what we have done for are pacific dawn cruise next saturday.

Saying that are agency who we booked through were great in handling are complaint when we got back, hope they sort the noise problem out soon as its been going on long enough for them to realise that eventually they will be sailing with empty suits, we looked at 3am one night to see why all the noise from the chairs well we were under the smokers area every time some one left a table horrid noises the answer is simple make the chairs imobile like screwing them to the floor hey presto problem solved.

Mind you dos't solve the problem of Island night.

I would definatly study the deck plan and make sure you are not under the smoking area hope that helps

Jacquie

we have stayed in cabins A160, A150 and A110 with very little if any sound.

A115 yes bad for sound but that was when the pizza rear was above it now its lukes.

on the Pacific Dawn if that is any help and they are the nearly the same ship

Love Thied

Edited by thied

We might be bumping into you as we too have a mini suite.. as there is three of us, even with us booking rather early the only 3-berth option with a balcony was the mini suite. Otherwise we'd have gone with the BA category (outside with balcony).

Having not ever been on a cruise before I can't answer your question but I hope the noise factors won't be an issue for us.

Is the noise more of a problem on any particular side?

Is the noise more of a problem on any particular side?

It is worse on the Port side. The smoking areas are on the Lido Deck Port side and Promenade Deck, Port side. Apparently most of the noise comes from the scraping of chairs on the Lido Deck as smokers tend to gather there at all hours of the day and night.

There is also a small smoking area on the jogging track, on the Pac Dawn at least - so even the joggers have to get a lungful as they are taking their exercise.

I think it would solve a lot of problems if they had fake grass under the chairs there, or made a smoking area... say... at the back of Deck 8.

Just got back from NYE on the Jewel. While we were in a dungeon on Deck 6 portside forward and can not comment on deck 11, we were not too far from the Atrium, the alternative inside NYE space. This became very popular when it rained. :D

We turned in at about 00:15 and while we could hear the noise, we didn't find it offensive nor did it interfere with going to sleep. The next day we heard that events were curtailed due to noise complaints.

That said, the Jewel isn't the smoothest ship, quite noticeable vibration portside aft in Plantation if the ship was doing 18 kt or so.

Still had a great time!:)