No ID needed disembarking in San Diego?

ddgleason

We just returned from our Carnival Elation cruise yesterday out of San Diego. We were surprised that we did not have to show any photo ID upon return. We disembarked, found our luggage, handed our customs form to the lone agent at the lone table outside of the luggage tent, and headed to our car across the street. No one asked for passports or anything. Is this the norm in San Diego?

It made us a little nervous, to be honest. Yes, our documents were checked when we boarded, but that was by cruise staff, not border patrol. How come no one was checking docs for returning passengers? How did they know we were supposed to be allowed in the country?

Well, it obviously happens. I imagine that lone agent knew they'd be in for a long day if they were completely diligent... Maybe the cruise roster had no red flags raised so they pretty much just let everyone go. :confused::)

What WILL be funny though is someone will read your post and decide they need no ID to get off the ship and will come back here in a month to whine about how horrible Carnival is for requiring THEM to have an ID when they've let others off before without....somehow their ignorance will equate to Carnival being an evil corporation that is out only to get your money and cares nothing for the passengers.... :rolleyes:

Long Beach and San Diego terminals both seem a little "lax" on their policies and checking bags and such on the way off the boat. Both LB and SD terminals seem to be BY FAR the fastest I have ever been through when it comes time to debark. Miami on the other hand....holy crap you better have packed a lunch!

Well, it obviously happens. I imagine that lone agent knew they'd be in for a long day if they were completely diligent... Maybe the cruise roster had no red flags raised so they pretty much just let everyone go. :confused::)

What WILL be funny though is someone will read your post and decide they need no ID to get off the ship and will come back here in a month to whine about how horrible Carnival is for requiring THEM to have an ID when they've let others off before without....somehow their ignorance will equate to Carnival being an evil corporation that is out only to get your money and cares nothing for the passengers.... :rolleyes:

But you need an ID to board in the first place so it is not like you don't have it with you and the cruiseline will advise what is needed to debark at the end of the cruise. If the authorities don't ask for it when you are getting off the ship, who cares ? How will someone complain if they had it ready to provide (based on the debarkation info provided to all pax in advance) ?

But you need an ID to board in the first place so it is not like you don't have it with you and the cruiseline will advise what is needed to debark at the end of the cruise. If the authorities don't ask for it when you are getting off the ship, who cares ? How will someone complain if they had it ready to provide (based on the debarkation info provided to all pax in advance) ?

Oh I know, but I'm sure they'll find a way, put it in their luggage or some mess that keeps them from getting to it...The complainers seem to find a way is all I'm sayin! ;);)

Oh I know, but I'm sure they'll find a way, put it in their luggage or some mess that keeps them from getting to it...The complainers seem to find a way is all I'm sayin! ;);)

There is always a pax or several that are not prepared and delay the people behind them !

Yes that is the norm.......before you left the ship they put your S&S card in the machine and know that it is you.......

I am not talking about Carnival checking ID's. I am talking about our US Customs and Border Patrol checking ID's. I know how Carnival verifies our identity. Not sure how the government verified it this time. We have cruised many times out of San Pedro and always upon return, we have had to wait while a customs agent asks us questions and examines our passports. I expected something similar in San Deigo and was surprised when it didn't happen.

Consider your self LUCKY and got to leave the chaotic mess of debarkation quicker !

Well, no! LOL. We were one of the last groups called to disembark! But that was ok. Kids got 3 "last" ice cream cones and we got to lay out on the Lido deck in the sun and read/relax. So nice! We felt like we had a bonus day on the ship!

Well, no! LOL. We were one of the last groups called to disembark! But that was ok. Kids got 3 "last" ice cream cones and we got to lay out on the Lido deck in the sun and read/relax. So nice! We felt like we had a bonus day on the ship!

Ahhhh I C.... well the other pax probably wore out the officials and they just said "Go on thru".... due to exhaustion ! LOL

Carnival provides a list to cutoms of who is on the ship when returning to port. They know who boarded in San Diego and if anyone joined in Mexico. I'm sure that Carnival has to prove that security measures are up par.

I am not talking about Carnival checking ID's. I am talking about our US Customs and Border Patrol checking ID's. I know how Carnival verifies our identity. Not sure how the government verified it this time. We have cruised many times out of San Pedro and always upon return, we have had to wait while a customs agent asks us questions and examines our passports. I expected something similar in San Deigo and was surprised when it didn't happen.

We have sailed out of Long Beach, San Pedro and San Diego many times and only once in San Pedro getting off RCCL were we asked for our passports.......so it is the norm here......

And they never had border patrol checking id's lol.....it was immigration.......:D

Its weird why doesnt San Diego and Long Beach do it yet Miami does it? Took us almost 2 hours to get through customs when we were in Miami last time on Carnival yet everytime out of Long Beach or San Diego we walked right off the ship in 10 mins tops! And whats weird is all cruises out of CA we have been on they went to Mexico...yet customs doesnt check us out. How do they know someone didnt get on the boat somehow or stole someones S&S card. Anything is possible.

Its weird why doesnt San Diego and Long Beach do it yet Miami does it? Took us almost 2 hours to get through customs when we were in Miami last time on Carnival yet everytime out of Long Beach or San Diego we walked right off the ship in 10 mins tops! And whats weird is all cruises out of CA we have been on they went to Mexico...yet customs doesnt check us out. How do they know someone didnt get on the boat somehow or stole someones S&S card. Anything is possible.

Your sail and sign card has your picture on it......

So? Your telling me no one else in the world could look like me? or that the guys looking at the ID even pays that much attention to the photos. I handed them my wifes card on the way out one day and they didnt even notice..or didnt care. Granted my wife was behind me but still. And its not even Carnival that concerns me, its CBP that concerns me. I work for a County agency and we deal with people entering the US daily into AZ from Mexico...its a real PITA to deal with. Wish others who are being paid to protect our borders would go through the added hassle to check everyone getting off the ship...not that time consuming to at least look at their government ID when in port.

In March I don't even think we had an agent at the bucket, just port personnel in San Diego.

What we did have was two dogs, one checking incoming bundles and one checking the debarking passengers. There might have been more dogs, I heard lots of barking.

One dog did alert on a woman and she had to tear apart her suitcase.

On the asphalt, no tables in San Diego. Do not know if it was a drug dog or a Agriculture dog.

In January they were checking passports/bc & ID in Long Beach, but not putting anything thru the system. The ones with passports went thru much quicker. At the second checkpoint they were making sure the form was filled out correctly.

So? Your telling me no one else in the world could look like me? or that the guys looking at the ID even pays that much attention to the photos. I handed them my wifes card on the way out one day and they didnt even notice..or didnt care. Granted my wife was behind me but still. And its not even Carnival that concerns me, its CBP that concerns me. I work for a County agency and we deal with people entering the US daily into AZ from Mexico...its a real PITA to deal with. Wish others who are being paid to protect our borders would go through the added hassle to check everyone getting off the ship...not that time consuming to at least look at their government ID when in port.

ROFLMAO!!! I'm pretty confident that they know what to look for......and yes they do look closely at our pics or why would they have us remove our hats and sunglasses upon entering the ship.....Ever notice the immigration officer standing next to the machine when you enter from port:confused:;)

I live in San Diego, and while it may not appear that they are checking, trust me, THEY CHECK !!! :eek: (Maybe just not the way you think)

Also, I have waited many times to get off a ship while everyone waits for 'someone' to report to immigration onboard. I can practically see our house. So close, yet so far.

Pat

We sailed out of San Diego twice. Once on a long cruise to Mexico. They checked upon debarkation then. The last time on a quick cruise to Ensenada, no one checked, just dropped your form in the bucket.

Weirdly, the Mexican customs in Ensenada checked us thoroughly before boarding the ship. Not the cruise folks on the ship, but in the terminal in Ensenada.

Like others said, they check your documents during embarkation, and the custom folks probably feel that is enough. Really though, what do you think they think we may be smuggling? Illegals in our luggage? Terrorists in our suitcases? A few pounds of pot? Nothing to worry about.

I guess since I am on the front lines of the immigrantion BS I feel more should be done. The average person on vacation doesnt see what I see. Guess it makes it tough to understand my concerns.

It's BS? What is to be concerned about with a bunch of overweight geriatrics?

We did a repo on HAL from Vancouver to San Diego last October and we were surprised at the lack of Customs presence in San Diego. We are not US citizens and we arrived from a foreign country. We picked up our bags, handed in the customs form and next thing you know we are standing in the parking lot, we both commented on the lack of customs.

We did the Mexican Riviera on Carnival in 07 and the line ups for Customs when we returned to LA were long and slow. Luckily being non residents we got the short line.

Archived