Rome on Sunday in 2011

nrunnion

We are booked for May 19 on Brillance of the Seas. I see that our cruise is in Rome on Sunday. How is it that the folks on this cruise can see the Sistine Chapel as I understand it is closed. Is it open for RCCL tours? Thanks

Parts of the museums are open in the evenings, after hours, for private tours. I have never heard of them being open on a Sunday, however. What makes you think that there is such a tour? Check the fine print ... it may be "subject to availability", or something like that.

Other posters have said this in other years. However, the Vatican does not open specially for cruise ship tours; they are not like the Hermitage in St. Petersburg. They answer to a higher authority.

(Unless, perhaps, it's a free Sunday -- the last Sunday of the month -- in which case, good luck as it will be wall-to-wall people.)

As Cynthia has pointed out, if you are in Civitavecchia/Rome on May 22nd, you'll probably be out of luck as far as the Vatican Museums are concerned. If you'll be there on May 29th, the last Sunday of the month, they will be open but the crowds will be oppressive.

The Vatican and Rome could care less about a mere cruise that is docked Rome over an hour from the city. Rome has a population of over 2.7 million which probably swells to nearly 3 million in the summer months when the place is full of tourists. We have long been disturbed by the fact that cruise lines give little consideration for their passengers when they schedule their cruises. In Europe, particular attention needs to be paid to Sundays (and Mondays in Italy) not to mention holidays. Rather then vary an itinerary the cruise lines just keep marching on with their normal schedule no matter what day of the week they happen to be in a port. The last time we were in Civitavecchia on a Sunday (last year) we planned to spend the day on the ship but finally decided to go into Rome and visit the Borghese Gallery (this place is open on Sundays). Sundays and Mondays do demand careful planning.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...

This thread got me thinking about how we book cruises. Since the OP is talking about a 2011 cruise (we seldom book cruises more then a few months in advance) they have time to think about their itinerary. Days of the week matter, and cruisers should take that into consideration when planning a trip. When looking at Italian ports you need to be very concerned about Sundays, Mondays and Holidays. In France, Sundays can be an issue. We have actually chosen cruises based on the days (and times) in ports. If you want to see the Vatican do not take a cruise that is in Civitavecchia on a Sunday (unless its the last Sunday of the month). If you want to see museums in Florence do not go to Livorno on a Monday! If you want to see the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, do not go there on a Sunday and if you want to see Topkapi Palace do not try to go on Tuesdays. My point is that cruisers should look at these things before they choose their cruise. We got in a discussion on a recent cruise and some folks were surprised when we said we had been on 12 different cruise lines. Many of them would only travel with one line and were curious as to why we tried many lines. We explained that we often chose cruises for their itinerary and several folks were really surprised. This is one of the reasons.

Hank

Hi nrunnion,

We are booked on the May 19, 2011 Brilliance of the Seas as well. Since we've seen all of the major attractions in Rome, we are thinking about a private tour of the country side, etc. I check with the tour company to see what they recommend on a Sunday.

Hi nrunnion,

We are booked on the May 19, 2011 Brilliance of the Seas as well. Since we've seen all of the major attractions in Rome, we are thinking about a private tour of the country side, etc. I check with the tour company to see what they recommend on a Sunday.

Keep in mind that Rome is far more than just the Vatican and the Colosseum. Rome is so rich in history and culture and has so many things to offer that what would rank as a "minor" attraction in Rome (if there was such a thing...) would probably be considered a major attraction in just about any other city.

Hi cruisemom42,

Thanks for the information, perhaps we will take another look at Rome beyond the Vatican and the Colosseum. Do you have any recommendations?

What sort of things do you enjoy?

For art lovers, I highly recommend the Borghese Gallery. The sculpture and paintings are wonderful and housed in a beautiful villa (with grounds that are good for a walk). You should plan to reserve in advance if you want to do this.

For history lovers, a more in-depth visit to the Forum, Colosseum and Palatine Hill with a guide is great. I also recommend the nearby Capitoline museum for some terrific pieces, including a room of busts of the Roman emperors (love this!) and the beautiful bronze equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius will knock your socks off.

For an unusual experience: Nearby the Colosseum is San Clemente basilica, which I find fascinating. It has 3 levels -- the NEWEST (top) level is from the 12th century! You then descend the steps to see the somewhat spooky remains and frescoes of the 4th century basilica that was sacked by the Normans. Go down one more level and you are wandering the remains of a 1st century Roman apartment building (insula), complete with a temple to Mithras in the enclosed courtyard. Very interesting trip back through history and gives you an idea of how almost the whole city of Rome is built on the ruins of earlier centuries (or millenia..)

For people watching and just enjoying the day: Piazza Navona is great -- just grab a coffee and sit as long as you want to people watch. Or if you get there early, walk through the nearby Campo de Fiori, the flower and food market.

These are just a few ideas -- I have dozens more, again depends how you want to spend the day. :D

Archived