Passports?

wannago30

Hi I will be sailing on the Zuiderdam in April. I have been on two previous cruises and have used my Birth Certificate and Marriage license. We are going on an Eastern Carribean. Do I need a passport or will the above do?

Thanks in advance for your help!

While a passport is the best i.d., it is not necessary, right now, for your cruise above. Just take your birth certificate and a government issued picture i.d., like your license and you should be all set. Just be aware, these rules can change at any time, so for future travel, you may want to think about a passport, makes life so much easier while traveling.

BTW, the cancelled passports have all of those neat stamps of the places you have visited. Like the Falkland Islands. I wonder how many people have walked among the penguins on the Falklands, or visited "Devils Island"? :cool:

Ruffin

P.S. - I wish I knew how to set up one of those counters. It would be interesting to list about 20 places and have CC'ers give us a count of how many have been visited. A kind of popularity count as it were. I'll bet that "Vegas Jim" knows how (no pun intended of course ;) )

If so, enter your text as normal for a new thread. Toward the bottom of the screen there is a box to check if you want a poll attached to the post. Check it, note the number of choices you want the poll to have. There is a maximum of 10. Then click on "Submit reply" and you'll be shown a screen to list the poll choices.

I just renewed my passport - it had expired and had my maiden name on it. (I'm embarrassed to admit that I've been married 17 years, and my passport was 18 years old). I was shocked that they turned the expedited passport around in LESS than a week. Expedite fees work on occasion I guess. This was done through our Clerk of Court - not a passport office. We are not sophisticated enough for that in this backwater town.

I was even more surprised that the old passport I surrendered was returned to me in the mail. I seem to remember the last time they KEPT the old passport.

All I could think about was HAL's suggestion that IF!!! something happened and I had to leave the cruise - how secure would I feel in a foreign county without a passport? Answer: Not very.

Besides - I want to go to Verden, Germany in March...:D

I just wanted to let you know I sent for passport renewals for my three children 4 weeks ago and we have not received them yet. Give yourself plenty of time. We cruise in three weeks and passport office is quoting 6 weeks processing time. Hopefully we will have them in time.

Karen

I just wanted to let you know I sent for passport renewals for my three children 4 weeks ago and we have not received them yet. Give yourself plenty of time. We cruise in three weeks and passport office is quoting 6 weeks processing time. Hopefully we will have them in time.Karen

Hi Karen,

Find out when your checks cleared your financial institution. If they haven't you need to get back to the passport office immediately. I send mine in by mail on Dec. 6th last and the issue date was Dec 23rd. Your office might be a little slow. Your check clearing date will give you some useful information.

Ruffin

RuffinReady,

Thanks for the advise. My checks have cleared. I have been in contact with the passport agency. They are the ones that told me 6 weeks. I still have 2 weeks to go. Hopefully they will be here before then.

Karen

RuffinReady,

I have birth certificates. I can always go to the RMV and get photo id's if I need to. My two oldest have school id's but I don't think these will suffice. Do you have any ideas? Thanks,

Karen

Karen,

Sorry, I didn't pay attention to the name of your ship at the bottom of your posting. You don't need passports for the Caribbean of course. Sorry, I am tuned to places that require passports. I believe that government photo ID's are all that is required, I am not sure about birth certificates being adequate. We took our teenage granddaughters on a Caribbean cruise in 2003, one had a passport and the other went and got a MV photo ID. I expect that your MV will provide photo ID's for anyone. I guess that I would check with HAL directly and confirm what is required if the passports dont' arrive in time.

Happy cruising :)

Ruffin :confused:

Thanks for bringing up this topic. My husband and I are getting my 5-year-old son a passport for future travel, but we've talked about taking a last-minute cruise soon. Do I understand correctly that my son would not need a passport for an Eastern Caribbean cruise? What about Western or Southern areas? I have a birth certificate and can get a photo ID but doubt I could get a passport in time. Can someone clarify for me--I've gotten different answers from HAL in the past, and I'm confused. (We are in the process of adopting our daughter from China, so I've got all kinds of international rules floating through my meager brain!)

Your son will be fine anywhere in the Caribbean with just a certified (raised seal, not a copy) birth certificate and a photo ID at this time.

However, you are so smart to be getting him a passport for future travel. Eventually everyone will need a passport to travel anywhere and it's so much better to have it ready if you need it.

Archived