Is my cabin high enough - please help a nervous cruiser!!!

The Londoners

I feel quite embarrassed asking this - but figure I'm among friends on the CC boards so hope someone will be able to help!

We are booked on 3 trips from Southampton on Solstice (hate flying so save like mad to cruise from UK and avoid the need!) - for the first two we have been able to afford fairly 'high' cabins (9219 in May and 1231 in October thanks to booking really early) - given the price increases in the past year, we decided to put a deposit down on a trip next summer,2011; however as the prices are so much higher than this year, the 'best' cabin we could afford was a 2c, and chose 6240 as it is a larger than average balcony - we need the balcony for the air, not the view, so not worried about lifeboats below - however, and here comes the bit where I become red faced - looking at photos/videos, this deck seems relatively near the water, and I am in terror of large waves reaching our balcony - does anyone have any experience of this? We will be in the Mediterranean late September/early October, if this makes any difference.

We have the option of going for a regular size cabin 2b grade, on 7th deck - would welcome thoughts/experiences on this one!!!

Many thanks in anticipation!

Celebrity Century Mediterranean September 2007

RCI Independence of the Seas July 2009

We have occupied 6131 on both the Mille and the Connie. Deck six is going to be approximately the same height above the water regardless of which =X= ship you're on. You are VERY unlikely to encounter any waves that come close to the height of your balcony.:)

If water makes it anywhere near your balcony, everyone on board will at least be uncomfortable regardless of location. That would imply a rogue wave and the chances are probably below that of being hit by lightening (and equally unpredictable).

Thank you all for your reassurances - Alicam, did you peek into my cabin on the Indy? How did you know I sleep in my lifejacket? Just joking of course, but if the sea is rough......I have a very tolerant DH, but even he would draw the line at sharing a bed with a lifejacket clad wife, tho' he could always kip on the balcony I guess!

Something that is FAR more important than deck height above the waterline (assuming it's motion you're minimizing as opposed to a fear of the water itself) is fore/aft location.

The centre of the ship is just like the middle part of a teeter-totter; the ends go up and down but the middle is almost motionless.

Having a stateroom on an upper deck i.e. Penthouse deck will excacerbate the side-to-side (rolling) motion; it will be like sitting way up on a tree branch as the tree sways in the wind.

In summary, mid-ships and mid-height sounds like the ideal combo for you...unless there's something else of concern that you haven't shared with us yet ;-)

Happy Cruising,

Alan

PS...our first 2 cruises were midship location. Yawn. Too boring. No action. So the last one (a transatlantic) was all the way forward, and the next TA is just a touch farther back (about 14 staterooms from the bow) and on the highest deck on Equinox. I love feeling the ship move; magic.

Honey, I completely understand you, I love the ocean, love ships & sailing (we used to take our own boat to Catalina all the time) but I am claustrophobic & don't like being on the inside areas of the ship. That's why we have to get a balcony..I need an 'escape route':D You will be fine on deck 6, plenty high above the waves, the ship is huge, so even a very big wave shouldn't endanger you. Have a good time, & remember, champagne handles fears well!

Many thanks to all who have been kind enough to reassure me - there are various reasons whyt we cruise, but this is the first occasion we haven't been able to afford a cabin 'high enough' to avoid worrying me - however, if popular opinion had been that there was a likliehood of this cabin being 'too low', we would have saved harder and booked a higher cabin.

Teajack, one of the reasons we take this kind of holiday is that DH is in remission from cancer and at high risk of dvt if we fly - he has to have extra legroom, which I have always arranged way in advance, but on a couple of occasions, notwithstanding my confirming everythying is in place, paying extra etc etc, there have been last minute problems with airlines - and I simply will not jeopardise his health - additionally, and the reason for our having to have a balcony, is the feeling of claustrophobia I get when in a small enclosed space with no access to fresh air - and unfortunately, as anyone who knows the UK will understand, to have a holiday anywhere near comparable to the standards of a Celebrity cruise in the UK, and therefore not involving a flight, would cost an absolute fortune! So we shall continue to cruise, and to be very grateful to fellow cc members who are such wonderful sources of information and, usually, understanding and tolerance to the foibles of their fellow members!!!

Many thanks to all who have been kind enough to reassure me - there are various reasons whyt we cruise, but this is the first occasion we haven't been able to afford a cabin 'high enough' to avoid worrying me - however, if popular opinion had been that there was a likliehood of this cabin being 'too low', we would have saved harder and booked a higher cabin.

Teajack, one of the reasons we take this kind of holiday is that DH is in remission from cancer and at high risk of dvt if we fly - he has to have extra legroom, which I have always arranged way in advance, but on a couple of occasions, notwithstanding my confirming everythying is in place, paying extra etc etc, there have been last minute problems with airlines - and I simply will not jeopardise his health - additionally, and the reason for our having to have a balcony, is the feeling of claustrophobia I get when in a small enclosed space with no access to fresh air - and unfortunately, as anyone who knows the UK will understand, to have a holiday anywhere near comparable to the standards of a Celebrity cruise in the UK, and therefore not involving a flight, would cost an absolute fortune! So we shall continue to cruise, and to be very grateful to fellow cc members who are such wonderful sources of information and, usually, understanding and tolerance to the foibles of their fellow members!!!

Thank you for answering.I hope you know I wasn't being critical just curious.Being handicapped myself I do understand all of your reasoning. I have been criticized on this board by one person because I must wear sneakers with my formal clothes to accomadate a leg brace and I just laugh it off.Hope it all works out for you as I am sure it will and you will have a great cruise.Best of luck to you and you DH.

Thank you for answering.I hope you know I wasn't being critical just curious.Being handicapped myself I do understand all of your reasoning. I have been criticized on this board by one person because I must wear sneakers with my formal clothes to accomadate a leg brace and I just laugh it off.Hope it all works out for you as I am sure it will and you will have a great cruise.Best of luck to you and you DH.

Thanks Teajak and so sorry that you have faced discrimination, especially on this board. One of the joys for us on the Indy was that it was accessible to people with a disability, and it was a pleasure being able to share the cruise in such an inclusive way. I can understand your curiosity and, if I'm honest, during the times I'm feeling sick I ask myself why I put myself up for it - but the good times far outweigh the bad, and hopefully the more we cruise the more I'll get used to it!!

with very best wishes and my hopes that you won't again be faced with ignorance, especially here on cc.

Lesley

Thanks Teajak and so sorry that you have faced discrimination, especially on this board. One of the joys for us on the Indy was that it was accessible to people with a disability, and it was a pleasure being able to share the cruise in such an inclusive way. I can understand your curiosity and, if I'm honest, during the times I'm feeling sick I ask myself why I put myself up for it - but the good times far outweigh the bad, and hopefully the more we cruise the more I'll get used to it!!

with very best wishes and my hopes that you won't again be faced with ignorance, especially here on cc.

Lesley

It was only one person so I just assume they don't know any better and laugh it off. I sure don't let a little thing like that spoil a cruise or CC for me.

Archived