general price drop question...when

When do they usually happen? Not specifically but more so generally. For example are they more likely to drop the closer you get to sail date or the farther away you are?

I hope this question makes sense to someone lol. I see mine going up and down by about 20$ every few days but people on here are talking about hundreds of dollars difference that they see...

It varies and is pretty unpredictable. We booked a cruise last June for a cruise that doesn't sail until next March...so almost 2 years ahead. About a month ago we got a price drop of $1440.00 on a D1 room. I 'think' a lot of that drop may have been because they adjusted the exchange rate. (We booked in CAN $) But no matter, its still a HUGE savings for us. So we got that price drop about a year out. I think if the cruise isn't selling as well as thye hoped you would see price drops as the sail date gets closer. But then, on a popular cruise you can see prices go way up as well. So, theres no easy answer.

Price drops can happen at any time. For instance, we are booked for this September and I found a drop yesterday.

I have one cruise I'm watching where the price went down, then UP, then down again.

You have to watch daily, since they come and go sometimes. It's worth the effort, too.

The most frequent time, IMO, is 6 months out. Then, they raise the price again, and if the ship is not filled they drop the price in that 45 day window before the cruise. Most people think after final payment, which is 70 days before the cruise, but I find 45 days is more common for our cruises (and, I check my cruises and my friends', too!).

I booked my 5 night Navigator cruise for November 20th in early January. Not sure why but when I booked our E-1 Category balcony was the same price as an oceanview=$499 per person. I have checked the pricing everyday since then and it has only gone up and up....So I am really doubtful it will ever go below what we paid...but Keep Checking!!

I noticed yesterday that the cruise I booked three months ago and the room class dropped by 78 dollars per person. Just called RCCL and got the price drop, same room with no problems at all. While not huge savings, every bit helps!

I booked the day the 2011 Europe came out. 7 days later looking for my sister I saw that the price of the next grade up had dropped from £1700 more expensive to only £1000 more (all other cabins were the same price and I had originally got a quote for that cabin so knew exactly how much it was). I reserved the cabin on line and called RC. A lot of going to consulate the boss later (complicated because I had booked by phone and this was the on line price which in the Uk are 5% cheaper but were not available on the 1st boooking day as I needed adjoining rooms before the new website let you chose them) I upgraded for about £1300 (the not on line price) but with $650 OBC.

Next day those cabins were back to their original price- I wonder if it was a mistake but I have learnt that it pays to check.

I noticed that around 2-3 months before sailing the price drops start - but that is obviously dependant on how many bookings they have. On a summer sailing I wouldn't expect to see many price drops.

I don't have an answer, just a question. If the price does drop all you do is either call your travel agent or the cruise line direct and they will give you onboard credits if you have already paid in full? If you haven't paid in full, they cut the price?

thank you

IMO the price drops appear to happen on Tuesdays. We booked our current cruise about 6 months ago, and I checked at least a couple days a week and Tuesdays were when the prices usually dropped.

Most times on Tuesday's they are for "sales events" which are NOT eligible for drops. That promotion is for new bookings only.

I don't have an answer, just a question. If the price does drop all you do is either call your travel agent or the cruise line direct and they will give you onboard credits if you have already paid in full? If you haven't paid in full, they cut the price?

thank you

1. if you booked with a TA you have to do all adjustments with the TA. You can have them call the cruise line if/when you see a drop BUT if you booked directly with the cruise line you call them directly for changes.

2. If you are outside of final payment (i believe 75 days prior to sailing) you can either get a refund or OBC. If final payment date has passed you can only get OBC.

someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Just a question re price drops. Can you claim it more than once on the one booking, i.e if it drops and you get the refund/OBC, and then you keep watching and it drops again can you get further credit or is it a 'one off' deal?

Thanks!

Just a question re price drops. Can you claim it more than once on the one booking, i.e if it drops and you get the refund/OBC, and then you keep watching and it drops again can you get further credit or is it a 'one off' deal?

Thanks!

You can get as many as show up, last year mine totaled 850$ per person over 3 different times.

Archived