Westerdam - 30 days with a 3 yr old - Crazy???

vegas321

I would do this cruise when our eldest DS was 3, but probably not with our youngest at that age. So much depends on the temperment of the child in question. Only you know your daughter's temperment and how well she travels. I would plan on doing more kid friendly excursions and save the long, historical excursions for when she is older and can appreciate it more. Having a suite on a long cruise gives you a bit more room to spread out and will help in not feeling like you are on top of each other. (Doing this cruise in an inside cabin with a 3 yr old would be a recipe for disaster.) This trip would be more difficult once she has starts school, as 30 days would be quite a bit school to miss.

Doing this trip may not be quite what you originally thought it would be like, but I think it would still be possible (and enjoyable) with revised expectations.

Just have to add one more point to this conversation. :)

IMO HAL is not the best cruiseline for cruising with children if they stay in the same cabin as the parents which they obviously do unless they are much older. In other words I'm not thinking so much about the general ambiance or if there are other children onboard or club HAL activities vs some other cruise lines children's club activities etc but the fact that even if you are in a SA suite with lot's and lot's of room you don't have any kind of "privacy divider" in the suite between the sleeping area and the sofas/table. So when your child is sleeping there is not so much you can do in your cabin. The verandah (and the bathroom) are the only places where one could be/have an discussion/whatever without disturbing the child sleeping. You'd have to get the Penthouse suite to get a cabin which has a separate bedroom.

I agree that 30 days is a LONG time. Not just for your child, but I would really miss the conveniences of home to entertain and care for a child. When we travel, we go for a week. By then, our 3 and 8 year old have had enough and so have we.

As far as leaving kidletts on board - I also would never do it. We missed our ship in St. Thomas about 10 years ago, before we had kids, but I will tell you it is the most sickening feeling in the world. Despite all the best intentions and planning, accidents happen. There were 11 cruise ships in port that day. Getting back from Coki beach turned into a traffic nightmare. We were to dock in St. Thomas, but were changed at the last minute to tendering - and the all aboard time was an hour earlier. We should have been back hours before to be safe, but with the volume of traffic and people, it all fell apart. I can't even imagine the thought of the ship sailing when my kids were on it. Yes, I am sure they would be safe, but I would be a basketcase, and the thought of them crying and upset and fearful gives me goosebumps.

Did 14 days on Masdam last year. My friend and I are in our 60s but I felt we were among the youngest folks on board. I think you are too young for a Hal environment. It was like a nursing home with food to match. Please consider another line both you and children will enjoy. I have noticed the childcare groups children on other lines having a great time. One child on our 14er.

Thanks for all the opinions. You all have reinforced some concerns that I have to the practicality of taking this cruise. At first glance, it seemed like a great idea and we got an exceptional price on a suite. But, now reality has set in and I think it's best of we cancel.

I'm really sorry to hear that a few alarmists have scared you off. I saw plenty of posts supporting your idea with what I thought to be well-reasoned advice (as opposed to emotional "don't take kids on HAL" counters).

If you only focus on the negative, you'll never do anything. I could come up with a thousand reasons why you shouldn't leave the house (and a thousand reasons why it's dangerous just to stay at home). I could come up with a thousand reasons why anyone of any age won't be happy on HAL, on a 30-day cruise, visiting the Med, or whatever.

But if you instead look at the positives, there is overwhelming evidence that you'll enjoy yourselves and get plenty out of the experience. Just like in life, happiness is a choice, and if you think you and your daughter would enjoy that amazing 30-day cruise then don't let the nay-sayers scare you off.

Archived