WiFi - how do they time you?

mferris77

I haven't seen this answered... considering that internet is sold by the minute, how do they time you? If I bring my netbook and buy some WiFi time, how do they know when I am (or aren't) using it?

For instance, if I connect to the internet and pull up Cruise Critic, that's probably a few seconds of bandwidth use as the page downloads... But maybe I spend 5 minutes reading the page.

Does anyone know how they determine usage? Is it some kind of timer that you have to start/stop which also turns on/off the internet access? Hopefully they don't consider the time I spend reading a page (and not really 'using' their internet) as part of the package.

You have to log in to the Carnival wifi on your computer, usually its a combo user name of your initals and room number I think and then the default password is your birthday. It keeps a timer on your usage online. What I do to limit my usage is:

1. No cruisecritic, just takes up too much time

2. Use Windows live mail, so I connect, check for mail, then disconnect. Read my mail and do my replys. Then re-connect and send them.

I haven't seen this answered... considering that internet is sold by the minute, how do they time you? If I bring my netbook and buy some WiFi time, how do they know when I am (or aren't) using it?

For instance, if I connect to the internet and pull up Cruise Critic, that's probably a few seconds of bandwidth use as the page downloads... But maybe I spend 5 minutes reading the page.

Does anyone know how they determine usage? Is it some kind of timer that you have to start/stop which also turns on/off the internet access? Hopefully they don't consider the time I spend reading a page (and not really 'using' their internet) as part of the package.

You have to log on to use the WiFi on the ship. When you get connected it brings up a site where you have to enter your cabin #..etc.... and then create a password. WiFi on the ship is REALLY REALLY slow. It took me 12 minutes to connect to windows live and write 2 emails and check a few. I would compose any emails first in word or something and then do a copy and paste!!!

Right, I guess the fact that there is a timer you can start/stop answers my question.

The "per minute" is how long you actually turn on 'the flow' and not whether you are actually using it or not.

I used CC as an example but any website would do... the time it takes to download a webpage is very short, even on a slow connection. The rest of the time you are either reading or typing something on the page. So from what you say I guess it doesn't matter that your computer isn't actually using the internet during these periods - it's the fact that it has *access* to it... or to put it another way the 'pipes are open' and that is what you're paying for, not what (or how much) comes through those pipes.

I think it would be the same as on a computer. You connect to the signal, then when you open a webpage and it automatically redirects you to the login page. Until you log in, you are not charged for anything. I believe if you talk to the internet manager on board he can delete the ability for your children to be able to login under their IDs.

Thanks gill boo. Now I'm nervous because DH and DS13 are on the Legend right now and as they were sailing away, DH told me that DS was so excited to have wi-fi! (We live in Tampa so we went down to wave at them as they sailed past and were chatting on our cell phones). I told him there was a charge and Dh said "Well, he has it"!! Hope there isn't a ginormous bill tomorrow!! Oh, and good luck with the pregnancy thing!

Right, I guess the fact that there is a timer you can start/stop answers my question.

The "per minute" is how long you actually turn on 'the flow' and not whether you are actually using it or not.

I used CC as an example but any website would do... the time it takes to download a webpage is very short, even on a slow connection. The rest of the time you are either reading or typing something on the page. So from what you say I guess it doesn't matter that your computer isn't actually using the internet during these periods - it's the fact that it has *access* to it... or to put it another way the 'pipes are open' and that is what you're paying for, not what (or how much) comes through those pipes.

If you think that you can load a webpage fast on a ship you are going to be in for a rude awakening.

I'd ike to go with you to the internet cafe to watch your expression. It seems I may be on your sailing.

Bill

If you think that you can load a webpage fast on a ship you are going to be in for a rude awakening.

I'd ike to go with you to the internet cafe to watch your expression. It seems I may be on your sailing.

Bill

You can as long as you aren't trying to do it at the same time everyone else is. Everyone shares the connection - use it when most others aren't.

Sort of like a California freeway. During rush hour, forget it. But gridlock doesn't last 24 hours.

make sure you are logged out when you are done.

:eek:

AMEN to that!!! On my first cruise I went to the Internet Cafe to update my Fantasy Baseball roster, and while setting up the onboard account and logging in wasn't a problem what I didn't see was the note on the screen that to log out you type 0.0.00.00(or some such nonsense) into the address bar.

I checked my S&S account midway through the cruise and saw a $132.00 internet cafe line item and nearly lost my mind!! Luckily the cafe mgr was understanding and changed it to just a "by the hour" fee.

Not sure if its the same "log off" procedure these days, but make sure you do log off when you are done.

Bill

Well, I know it's slow (or very slow) on the ships.. I was saying that it's fast relative to the time you actually spend doing something on the page.

And I know most ships are very slow but I've heard the Dream actually isn't too bad. This is a speed test someone did while on the Dream last week. Not outstanding but not too terrible either.

771881613.png

Well, I know it's slow (or very slow) on the ships.. I was saying that it's fast relative to the time you actually spend doing something on the page.

And I know most ships are very slow but I've heard the Dream actually isn't too bad. This is a speed test someone did while on the Dream last week. Not outstanding but not too terrible either.

771881613.png

That's not much worse then my dsl used to be so if that ran consistently I could live with that. :)

Bill

771881613.png

I could live with that, but the ping time is crazy! LOL

Thanks for asking that question...I was wondering also if the iPod would work on the ship.

Hey there...we have something in common.

I am Director of Transportation with our local school system. I have 125 drivers and 86 routes.

I see you are new to CC and cruising. Well, get ready to have a blast because this is the best vacation you can have.

Archived