***Norovirus Press Release ICCL

LauraS

Changing sheets...right up my alley. If I have clean sheets on day one of a 7 day cruise, I am fine for the duration. I change my sheets once a week at home and I can certainly go a week on a ship. And if I became ill during that week I can't see where a change of sheets (unless they needed it of course!) would be a cure!

On a recent 12 night Celebrity cruise my sheets were not changed once. How do I know!? I noticed a small 'old' stain in a corner that was there the entire cruise. Yes, this bothered me. I wrote and told them that I thought one change for that length cruise should be a must whether requested or not!! Mid way through the cruise my husband and I had a sheet discussion. He said that if it bothered me I should find our steward and ask him to change them. I opted to 'wait it out' and see what happened..nothing. One problem is that you never see them! You leave early and come back to a made-up room. Any way, I just thought it was kind of tacky.

This is neither here nor there as regards this thread, just want to point out that sheets are SELDOM changed during a cruise unless they appear to really need it or unless you ask specifically!!

I might get a little upset if they weren't changed for 12 days; I could live with that, but think it is pushing it a bit!!! NMNita

my or my, do we get upset easy? As for giving advise, I really don't think I gave any or that was my intention: someone asked about when the virus usually hits and gave them the normal time frame. It that is giving medical advise so be it.

NMNita

You are mouthing the "talking points" of the cruise PR department Nita. If the cruise virus lasts for 24 hours then how come they quartantine both parties in the cabin for 72 hours? If this was a retorical question I would answer this way.

"To discourage the reporting of any illness or virus, the cruise line quarantines for 72 hours so there will be fewer people reporting the illness. And it seems to work for them." BTW my wife and others got the virus soon after departing the ship. If this is the case then the "underreporting" of the illness is even greater.

I wouldn't worry about the sheets, you should be more concerned about the comforters/blankets (they change the sheets at the beginning of each cruise for each passenger). This is the same issue even in hotels. Most hotels today are cutting back for both environmental and for cost savings. On my last cruise on Celebrity they had a note in the room that stated this issue. They also noted that if you wanted them changed more often just ask.

The sad part of all of this is that these viruses are being brought onto the ship, which is really out of the hands of the cruise ship. They can only react and not completely prevent. Folks are being quarantined for 72 hours to protect the other passengers (based on what I have read). Unfortunately most people couldn't tell you when they came down with it initially, that is why they usually hold a 24 hour virus for 72 hours they want to error on the safety of all the passengers. Unfortunately it is no walk in the park for those locked up in their rooms. Two suggestions, if you are not feeling well before you get on the ship, see a doctor. Once on the boat, constantly wash your hands.

Tom

You are mouthing the "talking points" of the cruise PR department Nita. If the cruise virus lasts for 24 hours then how come they quartantine both parties in the cabin for 72 hours? If this was a retorical question I would answer this way.

"To discourage the reporting of any illness or virus, the cruise line quarantines for 72 hours so there will be fewer people reporting the illness. And it seems to work for them." BTW my wife and others got the virus soon after departing the ship. If this is the case then the "underreporting" of the illness is even greater.

The following is from the CDC website regarding norovirus and should explain the rationale behind the quarantine imposed by RCI:

"People infected with norovirus are contagious from the moment they begin feeling ill to at least 3 days after recovery. Some people may be contagious for as long as 2 weeks after recovery."

BTW, you seem to really have a grudge of some kind against New Mexico Nita. I really fail to see how the fact that she encouraged people to wash their hands is interpreted by you as an attempt to "give medical advice." You absolutlely do not need to be a doctor in order to encourage others to wash their hands in order to reduce the risk of spreading or becoming infected with the virus. I think it's great that this message keeps getting posted here because this concept is extremely important.

I'm a nurse at a very large hospital and I couldn't begin to count the number of times I have cared for patients with intestinal viruses. I have never contracted this virus, most likely because I am so incredibly careful when changing and disposing of linens, and in general providing care to these individuals. We wear gloves, gowns, etc., so luckily I have never been stricken. But on a cruise ship, I can certainly see how difficult these viruses are to contain due to the numbers of individuals on board and the many surfaces which are touched by so very many people.

We just returned-- RCI is doing a fabulous job of keeping the ship clean-- you see pleople cleaning constantly-- no reports that we heard of-- everyone seemed really determined to stay healthy-- lots of sanitizing stations around the food areas-- great ship--will post more about our trip to Western Caribbean tonight if interested please read-- RCI- you rock-- and I mean that literally and figuratively!!!! :)

okatie jack Do you possibly have a link to a story or anything about

"at least 1,000 people were sick and one person passed away on the ship."

or atleast some sort of confirmation. I try to trust everyone but need to verify something as 'newsworthy' as this. I also fully undestand that the Cruise linnes are adept at damage control. For sure if I was thinking I'd get quarrentined, I'd try to stay away from the infirmary.

were you actually ON this sailing?

THANX!

My Travel Agent who booked our group of 64 ,on RCCL West Carib 1/16/05 has informed me that he will no longer book any cruises on RCCL. Why?

It is our firm belief that thee VIRUS was on the prior cruise and the cruise following 1/16/05 so the business of a passenger bringing on the virus is BOGUS. Most of our group believe that the virus was already on the ship when we boarded.

The replies to the Travel Agent from the management of RCCL about the virus and the handling of any reimbursments were not satisfactory.

A CLASS ACTION suit is being started against RCCL.

If a class action suit is being filed right now what about all the other ships in the past 3 years or so with the same virus problems: what about the air planes that have been infected: how do you think this can be avoided in the future and who do you really think makes out in a class action suit? Of course as soon as the suit is filed we will all read about it in the papers. Why would you assume the virus wqs already on the ship and not carried on by a passenger and 1000 sick, I am inclined to believe this is your opinion only and would need to be varified. As for your agent never booking RCI again, let me tell you, we have all heard agents make that claim before. Having a cruise ruined because you get sick from something that you feel was caused by the line itself may be awful, but I have a real problem with the word Law Suit!!!

My Travel Agent who booked our group of 64 ,on RCCL West Carib 1/16/05 has informed me that he will no longer book any cruises on RCCL. Why?

It is our firm belief that thee VIRUS was on the prior cruise and the cruise following 1/16/05 so the business of a passenger bringing on the virus is BOGUS. Most of our group believe that the virus was already on the ship when we boarded.

The replies to the Travel Agent from the management of RCCL about the virus and the handling of any reimbursments were not satisfactory.

A CLASS ACTION suit is being started against RCCL.

Just as I don't ought-right trust or follow any cruslines (or another business for that matter) statements without verification, I don't automatically trust posters messages. While these statements may indeed be true, I cannot take it as fact only because it's typed in one of these boxes. Heck, the posters could be a carnival exec. Are there any links to Actuall class actions filed or reports from accredited newpapers about details posted?

I'm not trying to flame anyone but only looking to confirm

I believe I was one of those unlucky travelers to have contracted a norovirus on a cruise. I was on Navigator of the Seas last week. I boarded the ship feeling 100% so I'm pretty sure I did not bring anything with me.

Things were fine until Day 2, Sunday. In the early evening I started feeling a little weak. I thought it was because I hadn't eaten anything for awhile. We went to dinner at the main dining room and started to feel better as I got food into me. I ordered a Fettucine Alfredo-type dish for my entree. They also had a grilled chicken entree on the menu and asked the waiter to bring me both on one plate. He said he could do that but that it would take a bit longer because he had to personally put the chicken on my plate with the pasta. Didn't really think much about that at the time.

When the food came out, I saw that the waiter had actually chopped up the chicken breast and sprinkled it over the pasta. I thought that was great and ate it up. About halfway through it though I had to stop, feeling full I thought. Within 10 minutes or so, the feeling in my stomach got worse and I had to leave the dining room and rush back to my cabin. I had a case of diarrhea that sent all my dinner (or so I thought) through me. At first I thought it may have been a lactose reaction since I am lactose intolerant and the pasta was very creamy and cheesy. I felt better after going to the bathroom and taking an Immodium and in an hour or so we were out at a big party on deck.

While dancing and having fun my insides started rumbling around again but I ignored it hoping it would pass. Right about the time we decided to leave the party, maybe 3 hours or so now after dinner, I realized that I was going to be having a problem. I quickly got back to the cabin and ran into the bathroom and began vomiting. Thus began some of the worst 2 hours of my life. I kept vomiting every 15 minutes and at some points was experiencing things coming out both ends at the same time (sorry to be graphic). This was the most violent vomiting I had ever experienced that I thought I was either going to pass out or my esophagus was going to rip open.

This peak passed and I was able to go to bed, only to now find myself experiencing alternating fever and chills and a constant buzz in my stomach. I had no stomach remedy to help either. Through the night I got up a few different times due to vomiting or diarrhea. By the next day the vomiting had passed, but my stomach still felt upset, I still had the diarrhea, the chills/fever would come and go, and my muscles ached. I sent my friend to the gift shop to buy me some Pepto Bismol. After he left though I suddenly thought to myself that they may not have any and if they didn't I woried he would go to the ship clinic. I did NOT want them to find out about my illness as I knew they would confine me to my cabin. Turns out, I was right. He went to the store and they had no stomach ailment products so the shop worker directed him to the clinic. He went there and they refused to give him anything. They said I would have to come down to the clinic so they could prescribe something (and examine me I knew). Luckily he didn't give our names so there was no way they could track us down.

We were docking in Puerto Rico that day so I figured I would get off the ship and try to find some Pepto at the dock. I spent the whole morning in the cabin and finally got out in the early afternoon. All I could get down though was some sorbet and we went to sit at the front of the ship so I could watch us enter San Juan. I had planned to get off the ship but I was feeling so weak, achey, and still raw in the stomach that I just crashed in the cabin again. My friend went off the ship and found some Pepto for me. I took it and slept the rest of the day away while they explored the city. Later that evening I felt okay enough to make it to the buffet for dinner. All I could eat was jello and some fruit salad though. After dinner we went to see a comedian and that was all I could take. I went back to the cabin after the show and crashed continuing with the fever/chills and occasional diarrhea.

The next day Tuesday I felt better. The chills and fever had passed, my muscles didn't ache, and going to the bathroom became much less of an issue. But I had this overall tired, weak feeling over me. I pushed myself to get off the ship so I could enjoy St. Maarten though and being on the beach in fresh air made me feel so much better. Not being on the ship with the waves (we had pretty rough seas) was also helping I think. I still had very little appetite though and by the end of the day felt very worn out.

The next day Wednesday all I really felt was this depressing tiring feeling and no appetite, but the rest of me was fine.

By Thursday though it was like I had never been ill at all. I felt completely 100%.

I have never experienced anything like this before in my life so I feel it had to have been a virus. My guess is that I got it from the waiter who chopped up the chicken into my pasta at that dinner. I'm sure he was not wearing gloves when he did it (unlike the other kitchen workers who come into contact with food) and he must have had unclean hands. I don't know how else I could've gotten it as no one in my party of 4 got sick and no one else on the ship did I hear about getting sick either.

That is excatly what the Norwalk Virus feels like. I was on the Jan. 16th sailing of the Mariner. It is so funny that you say what you ate the night you got sick. My friend and I ate the pasta with chcken also the night we got sick. I was sick withing 30 minutes of eating and she was sick about 6 hours later. I really feel like it is being brought on these ships through the food. It is just my opinion, but I am told that lettuce is a huge carrier of the norovirus. This about the malls at christmas time, high schools, etc. Why dont you hear of mass outbreaks at those places. I dont think I have ever heard of a high school with 2000 kids having an outbreak like this and you know they arent washing their hands. I just dont understand it.

I have never experienced anything like this before in my life so I feel it had to have been a virus. My guess is that I got it from the waiter who chopped up the chicken into my pasta at that dinner. I'm sure he was not wearing gloves when he did it (unlike the other kitchen workers who come into contact with food) and he must have had unclean hands. I don't know how else I could've gotten it as no one in my party of 4 got sick and no one else on the ship did I hear about getting sick either.

Your guess is wrong. You stated you felt bad before going to the dining room. Secondly, even if the waiter had passed something on (unlikely) you would not have developed symptoms so quickly. Even salmonella takes a couple hours to develop. It is entirely likely that whatever you picked up was brought on board with you. Bad luck, but then you went and made matters worse.

If I had been a passenger aboard this ship who had suffered illness, I might be copying your post and forwarding it to an attorney so that your IP address could be subpoenaed. Your own actions might have contributed to others getting sick. Any efforts being made to sanitize surfaces by the ship's crew were destroyed when you wandered about the ship. Yes, your vacation was impacted, but your own irresponsibility allowed you to share your problem with others. Others are now blaming the cruise line, but might turn their attentions to your actions.

I do not see why there is an issue of HOW the virus got on the ship. It is more of an issue of what can be done to minimize the effects of it once it is there. A relatively small amount of people confined to the same area for a week is the formula for transmission of things like this. Similar to a trans-ocean flight for 12 hours with everyone breathing recycled air.

If RCCL quarantined people, and then came up with a system so they could be left alone to sleep and not be bothered, or be butt-kissed by room service so the still had some 'fun' while on vacation (their choice), THEN be given a significant discount on a future cruise (for their sacrifice to the good of the ship), more people would seek the medical help and not try to hide it, so they do not waste an expensive vacation.

I believe I was one of those unlucky travelers to have contracted a norovirus on a cruise. I was on Navigator of the Seas last week. I boarded the ship feeling 100% so I'm pretty sure I did not bring anything with me.

By Thursday though it was like I had never been ill at all. I felt completely 100%.

There is no way you contracted norovirus from the chicken dish prepared by your waiter. Most likely you were infected before you ever set foot on the ship. Please read the information regarding norovirus below, which came from the Center for Disease control website. Also please note that you continued to be contagious for days or even longer after you recovered:

"The incubation period for norovirus-associated gastroenteritis in humans is usually between 24 and 48 hours (median in outbreaks 33 to 36 hours), but cases can occur within 12 hours of exposure. Norovirus infection usually presents as acute-onset vomiting, watery non-bloody diarrhea with abdominal cramps, and nausea. Low-grade fever also occasionally occurs, and vomiting is more common in children. Dehydration is the most common complication, especially among the young and elderly, and may require medical attention. Symptoms usually last 24 to 60 hours. Recovery is usually complete and there is no evidence of any serious long-term sequelae. Studies with volunteers given stool filtrates have shown that asymptomatic infection may occur in as many as 30% of infections, although the role of asymptomatic infection in norovirus transmission is not well understood."

"People infected with norovirus are contagious from the moment they begin feeling ill to at least 3 days after recovery. Some people may be contagious for as long as 2 weeks after recovery. Therefore, it is particularly important for people to use good handwashing and other hygienic practices after they have recently recovered from norovirus illness."

there's also something called "food poisoning" and salmonella (could be chicken) that also have symptoms that you've described... in which case the cruiseline WOULD have some responsibility. But, in my own personal experience with cruiselines when stricken and sought medical attention, the cruise line DOES have ways of sweeping things under their rugs thus falling under the CDCs radar (mine was labeled "stomach distress" while they administered 2 1/2 IV of ringers, shots and bactrim ds and other prescription medications in "unmarked" white envelopes.

[quote name='cmjaffe']there's also something called "food poisoning" and salmonella (could be chicken) that also have symptoms that you've described... in which case the cruiseline WOULD have some responsibility. But, in my own personal experience with cruiselines when stricken and sought medical attention, the cruise line DOES have ways of sweeping things under their rugs thus falling under the CDCs radar (mine was labeled "stomach distress" while they administered 2 1/2 IV of ringers, shots and bactrim ds and other prescription medications in "unmarked" white envelopes.[/QUOTE]

you are right about the Salmonela being in chicken but it sounds more to me like wonderman had a stomach virus. We will never know. It is too bad anyone has to have a vacation ruined: it also makes little sense to think the waiter exposed him in such a short time. It is more likely he picked it up somewhere just prior to sailing. As has been stated the most important thing is we all do what we can and ships do what they can to keep these viruses from spreading so much. NMnita

btw, I didn't mean to belittle wonderman3's suffering or illness.
just know, from my personal experience, that when I was stricken (we were seated w/2 doctors at dinner and their cabins were across from ours.. they saw me practically crawl out to go to medical facility) that it looked like "typical food poisoning" <if not Norwalk... since it was 2 years ago when it was at the height of "popularity" December 2002>.

[quote name='napsterisback']This is the most positive news i've heard on all these boards. Thank God someone is doing something about it.[/QUOTE]

you can't be serious, but I guess you are. Does this mean everyone who has contracted some form of virus on any cruise line or an airplane or from a hotel, school or hospital should start a class action suit? My guess is this will die way before it gets much further. I have heard the word Class action Suit on these boards for everything from the explosion on the Norway 2 years ago to the problems with POA. None of them went anywhere. NMnita

[quote name='spongerob']Your guess is wrong. You stated you felt bad before going to the dining room. Secondly, even if the waiter had passed something on (unlikely) you would not have developed symptoms so quickly. Even salmonella takes a couple hours to develop. It is entirely likely that whatever you picked up was brought on board with you. Bad luck, but then you went and made matters worse.

If I had been a passenger aboard this ship who had suffered illness, I might be copying your post and forwarding it to an attorney so that your IP address could be subpoenaed. Your own actions might have contributed to others getting sick. Any efforts being made to sanitize surfaces by the ship's crew were destroyed when you wandered about the ship. Yes, your vacation was impacted, but your own irresponsibility allowed you to share your problem with others. Others are now blaming the cruise line, but might turn their attentions to your actions.[/QUOTE]

I wish YOU had been on my ship. Sounds like you need a little norovirus to take your attitude down a peg or two.

[quote name='cmjaffe']there's also something called "food poisoning" and salmonella (could be chicken) that also have symptoms that you've described... in which case the cruiseline WOULD have some responsibility. But, in my own personal experience with cruiselines when stricken and sought medical attention, the cruise line DOES have ways of sweeping things under their rugs thus falling under the CDCs radar (mine was labeled "stomach distress" while they administered 2 1/2 IV of ringers, shots and bactrim ds and other prescription medications in "unmarked" white envelopes.[/QUOTE]

I thought that it may have been food poisioning as well seeing as it came on almost in direct relation to the meal. And I was around my friends for the entire length of the trip before and after the incident and none of them became the slightest bit ill. Nor did we hear talk of anyone else on the ship getting ill (and you know news about stuff like this spreads like wildfire).

It just seems incredibly coincidental that I have never experienced anything like this before in my life and suddenly on the second time I am on a cruise ship I contract symptoms almost identical to noroviruses that seem to plague cruiseships on a regular basis. Hmmmm....

Wonderman,

I don't know where you contracted Norovirus - it may have been on the ship, it may have not. But you don't contract norovirus immediately after (and practically while eating) contaminated food. Did you not read the info I posted from the Center for Disease Control website? The incubation period for norovirus is minimum 12 hours. Even food poisoning does not occur within minutes of eating contaminated food. You need to start counting backwards about 12 hours to 36 hours to find the source of your infection.

Your symptoms sound like norovirus. You may well have contracted it on the ship (did you touch any elevator buttons, put your hand on a stairwell, shake anyone's hand?). But you did not get it from the chicken!

Like others have said, you will never know for sure where you contracted the virus. Without a stool sample it's impossible to know FOR SURE what caused your symptoms. What we do know is that you felt really crummy on your cruise and that's unfortunate because we all look forward to them so much.

My daughter and I have been fighting a stomach virus the past few days. My husband and other daughter are fine. I am clueless where we contracted the bug. It could be a thousand places.

Archived