Veedam Sick

RMSeadog

I am disturbed about a pax who has NLV. Who has no 'complications' requiring specialized care. I am talking about the convenience of getting rid of sources of the virus at the pleasure of the ship and the discomfort and distress of the passenger. It may suit the ship just fine to get rid of those pax who have become ill in order to positively eliminiate the potential of them spreading the virus to others.

QUOTE]

I am brand new to Holland America and don't want to see anyone removed from a ship who will get well in just a few days in there cabin. I keep reading your posts here saying the ship is doing this or did this, that the ship is making people leave in a bad port just to get rid of them. Obviously you are very upset about it and we ALL would be IF it happened.

But please don't keep saying this if you can't tell us who, when, and where it happened to. You always have good information for this board, but I just don't see proof that the cruiseship did anything wrong with people sick with Noro Virus that anyone here knows for sure happened. PLEASE tell us what your information is to say this. :confused: :confused:

You are correct that I do not know that it happened. I am reacting to reports I read here.

I do not believe in any of my posts I wrote that I knew it to be true or that I had any information about it independent of what I have read here.

In one of my earlier posts on the subject, I quoted the post which stated it.

Here is the post which stated that information:

Ryndam2002 user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_2875923", true);

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMSeadog

...They are onboard Veedam in the Caribbean. The ship is sending many guests home form Grand Cayman...

Rick

Yes. This is from the CDC website. (Caution ... gross reading.)

Person-to-person spread by means of the fecal-oral route or aerosol formation after projectile vomiting is the most commonly recognized mode of transmission, although foodborne and waterborne transmission are also well documented. Once a person is infected, it's in the bloodstream ... thus throughout the body. Another form of aerosol formation is via sneezing.

At the CDC Q&A Session for the PAX (televised in cabins for the quarantined) the above info was stated. Also, there are a variety of types of the virus. They kept saying that while they have documentation of how it is normally spread BUT they do not know HOW it is spreading on the Veendam.

A couple of pax who were doctors asked helpful questions. The CDC folks seemed to be very open and honest with all of their answers.

Some folks actually test postive for the virus (per CDC) but have NO symptons whatsoever! :eek:

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Aside from the fact the ship didn't even go to GC so it never happened, IF the Veendam had gone to GC and some passengers got off and went home, we STILL would have had absolutely no information that the ship MADE these people get off or that they did not medically need to be treated on land for their own benefit and were leaving the ship voluntarily.

This quote from RMSeadog says nothing about the ship throwing these people off unnecessarily.

I interpreted the statement the ship is sending them home to mean someone on the ship told them they were leaving.

I repeat that nowhere did I say that I independently have any knowledge whether it happened or not. If you prefer, call my conversation about it hypothetical. In effect, that probably is exactly what it is.

Years ago I took a management course. Part of the course was the following: Line up a dozen students side-by-side. Then the instructor wispered a short message into the ear of the first student. The student had to wisper the message into the ear of the next one, and so on. At the end of the line the last student told the class what they had heard. The correct message had been posted on the board, without any of the participants able to see it. Guess what, there was very little relationship between the original message and what the last student in the line had said. :eek:

As we go thru life, this is a good lesson to remember.

Ruffin

Time to toss my two cents.

Would really not want to be a passenger on any of those planes that they're flying sick passengers home on. Can't see how that breaks the cycle.

It probably makes more sense to canel a cruise and sanitize the ship to the max.

Noro is common and planes and ships are prime targets (like nursing homes and schools) .

As for news coverage, planes land every day and we don't cover that. When one crashes, it's news. It's the same here. Thanks to cell phones, passengers (even healthy ones) call the local TV station and wail loudly. It's been my experience they're hoping the squeaky wheel will get some grease from the line.

However, the reports often neglect (or the line's spokesperson) fail to balance 250 out of 1200 pax and X number of crew.

Why is norovirus infection important for food handlers?People working with food who are sick with norovirus gastroenteritis are a particular risk to others, because they handle the food and drink many other people will consume. Since the virus is so small, a sick food handler can easily – without meaning to – contaminate the food he or she is handling. Many of those eating the contaminated food may become ill, causing an outbreak.

Probably this is why there were so many "Target Questions" on the CDC Questionnaire on when, where, and what we ate on specific days!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Archived