Transfer

richfrommo

We are going on Norwegion Jewel for New England cruise out of New York in Sept. 2010. What is the best & most econonical way to get from LGA airport in New York to Manhattan Pier for cruise & back from pier to airport ?

We are going on Norwegion Jewel for New England cruise out of New York in Sept. 2010. What is the best & most econonical way to get from LGA airport in New York to Manhattan Pier for cruise & back from pier to airport ? Thanks

Same as almost every port.

Cabs.

Why people continue to book cruiseline transfers and have to deal with buses and waiting for people, just don't get it.

Walk outside, grab a cab, and away you go.

We are sailing 5-2-2010, Dawn, NYC to Bermuda. I read on the roll call board that there is a marathon in NYC on that day, and that a bridge will be closed that will greatly effect the traffic.

Our flight arrives at 10:26, which would normally give us plenty of time, but with the marathon, I was nervous.

We never take the NCL transfers, but I was afraid to trust a taxi, therefore I booked our transfers today through our PCC. It is a whopping $80 PP round trip. YIKES, this is terribly expensive.

After reading this thread, I am now regretting it. Any thoughts?

Next time look for airfare to JFK and you could always take the train into the city.

I agree with everyone else, Taxi's are the best way from LGA.

Hi Dawn,

Can you tell me how to take the train into the city from JFK? My sister and fiance are going to Boston before NYC so I decided to take a morning flight down on Friday and they are driving from Boston to meet me there (instead of driving back to get me).

Would you recommend they take my luggage for me? Is the train easier without luggage? I prefer to take my luggage and I have no problem hopping into a cab. Is a cab ride wicked (haha, freeze!) expensive from JFK? How much in comparison to the train? Also...is a train the same thing as a subway? Will I need a cab once I arrive in Manhatten if I need to get to 57th street? I read somewhere the subway does not stop around there.

Thanks in advance and I hope the OP does not mind I asked the question on this thread.

coka

Hi Coka,

You just look for the signs in the Airport saying AirTrain.

Once there get on the AirTrain going to Jamaica.

You will get off in Jamaica Queens and take the LIRR straight to Manhattan. This is not a subway train, but a commuter type of a train. It will let you off in Penn Station in Manhattan.

You can take a taxi from there, unless the weather is beautiful and you have time, you can walk it. City streets go by quickly. I have done it with my dd and we walked to the port for our cruise with our wheeling luggage.

There will be escalators and elevators for you to use. Also, New Yorkers are pretty friendly and always willing to point you in the right direction.

If you don't care about having the luggage it will probably be a bit easier without it.

They do have shuttles that give you a set price for going into Manhattan. A taxi can get pricey especially if there is traffic and the meter keeps running.

The train is pretty easy.

I'll have two days to get to the ship so I am not worried about walking to hotel minus my luggage from Penn Station.

Oh...what does LIRR stand for? I do not want to sound intoxicated asking where to catch it...

Thank you Dawn very much!

coka-the-mountain hippie-heading-to-the-big-apple

(hehehe)

I'll have two days to get to the ship so I am not worried about walking to hotel minus my luggage from Penn Station.

Oh...what does LIRR stand for? I do not want to sound intoxicated asking where to catch it...

Thank you Dawn very much!

coka-the-mountain hippie-heading-to-the-big-apple

(hehehe)

Unless I'm mistaken LIRR stands for "Long Island Rail Road". Have a great trip!

Unless I'm mistaken LIRR stands for "Long Island Rail Road". Have a great trip!

That is correct. You can say either when asking Coka, everyone knows both ways to say it here. EL. EYE. ARR. ARR. or Long Island Rail Road. hahaha

Good luck my friend, and have a great time!!

To/From LGA take a cab. Should be $30 or so for your whole party (assuming you fit into one cab). To/From JFK if you have the time and not a ton of luggage, take the Airtrain/Subway - it takes a LONG time, probably at least an hour to get into Manhattan, but it is easy and quick (less than $10pp). If you're shorter on time and bigger on luggage take a cab. They are a FLAT RATE to and from JFK to anywhere in Manhattan - $45 not including tip and tolls. Tolls will depend on where you're going/what river crossings you use, but usually add no more than $5.

I don't know of any marathon in May (our marathon is in October or November here) and there are multiple ways to get into Manhattan regardless of bridge closings, from either airport. $80 per person for a bus transfer is highway robbery - if I were you I'd cancel that if you can and just take a cab.

I know of no Marathon in May that would close a bridge. The NYC Marathon is the first or second Sunday in November and that closes the Verrazano Narrows Bridge which would not impact travel from the three major airports.

Take Airtrain/LIRR/Taxi Airtrain is $5 per person, the LIRR is (Weekend) $3.50 per person then the taxi fare $8.00 (with 15% tip) if you want to save money not time. A flat fee $45 (plus tip/toll) which would be $57.50 one seat ride to your boat.

NYC Taxi Fare Finder: http://nyc.taxiwiz.com/

The ship terminal is 711 12th Avenue.

Is it hard to find a taxi or van with enough room for four people & suitcases at the airport & the pier. Is the price about the same for four people versus two ?

I know of no Marathon in May that would close a bridge. The NYC Marathon is the first or second Sunday in November and that closes the Verrazano Narrows Bridge which would not impact travel from the three major airports.

Take Airtrain/LIRR/Taxi Airtrain is $5 per person, the LIRR is (Weekend) $3.50 per person then the taxi fare $8.00 (with 15% tip) if you want to save money not time. A flat fee $45 (plus tip/toll) which would be $57.50 one seat ride to your boat.

NYC Taxi Fare Finder: http://nyc.taxiwiz.com/

The ship terminal is 711 12th Avenue.

You can fit four in a taxi and the price is for the taxi not per person. Tight, three in back seat and one in the front.

There are a few mini-van taxi's but it is the luck of the draw at the airport. IMHO it comes down to how many bags you have for the trunk.

That is the extent of my knowlege as I only travel via Yellow Cab (Taxi) coming home from the airport (when the boss is paying).

For my cruise it will be the Subway (monthly unlimited card) from Brooklyn to mid-town and a cab to the pier ($8.00 with tip).

That is correct. You can say either when asking Coka, everyone knows both ways to say it here. EL. EYE. ARR. ARR. or Long Island Rail Road. hahaha

Good luck my friend, and have a great time!!

I am so dense. It took me a few minutes to get it! I was thinking lirrrrrrrrrrr...LOL

Thank you very much for the good luck wish. I hope you were not chuckling when you wrote it! I sure did after I read it.

Sparks1093, Have an awesome time on the Sky! Safe travels to you and your family.

coka

I am so dense. It took me a few minutes to get it! I was thinking lirrrrrrrrrrr...LOL

Thank you very much for the good luck wish. I hope you were not chuckling when you wrote it! I sure did after I read it.

Sparks1093, Have an awesome time on the Sky! Safe travels to you and your family.

coka

And you also! (But if the boys don't start helping get ready DW may blow a gasket:rolleyes:.)

coka

Hahaha Coka,

I grew up in the city and didn't know what the LIRR was either, or how to say it. That is why I tried to spell it out phonetically for you.

I am sure I if I came out your way, I might mess up a few names too. :D

Dawn

Hahaha Coka,

I grew up in the city and didn't know what the LIRR was either, or how to say it. That is why I tried to spell it out phonetically for you.

I am sure I if I came out your way, I might mess up a few names too. :D

Dawn

Hehehe, say "Mephremagog" three times fast:D. Sorry, being this close to a cruise makes me giddy:rolleyes:.

Archived