Here we go again - the Sun this time

rannoch

We are cruising on the Sun in July to the Baltic, and like every other cruise we have been on, we book, we start to work out our plans, and delve into the ship/location reviews, and that's when the "have we done the right thing" questions start.

I have a couple of questions regarding the Sun.

It doesn't seem to have had a refurbishment for some time - is it beginning to look frayed at the edges, a bit tired.

I looked at some of the Cruise Critic February 2010 reviews, and there seemed to be a problem with a virus. Is that still a problem?

Finally (for the moment), we've cruised with NCL before (Spirit) - it was our first cruise, and we didn't really know what to expect. So, the flexi-dining seemed OK albeit a bit inconvenient having to register for a table at the restaurant entrance and then wait around for half an hour for a table to be available. Since then we have had fixed dining times with other cruises at a large table, and liked the atmosphere, and company.

Are flexi-dining options still as described above, or can you opt for a large table with "fixed times".

Any advise appreciated.

Regards

Rannoch

We are cruising on the Sun in July to the Baltic, and like every other cruise we have been on, we book, we start to work out our plans, and delve into the ship/location reviews, and that's when the "have we done the right thing" questions start.

I have a couple of questions regarding the Sun.

It doesn't seem to have had a refurbishment for some time - is it beginning to look frayed at the edges, a bit tired.

In other threads here about the Sun recent cruisers have mentioned things like some stained carpeting, frayed drapes, chairs but nothing major.

I looked at some of the Cruise Critic February 2010 reviews, and there seemed to be a problem with a virus. Is that still a problem?

I'm going to be on the Sun for 33 days in Sept/Oct so have been reading threads involving the Sun. I haven't seen any mention of sickness.

Finally (for the moment), we've cruised with NCL before (Spirit) - it was our first cruise, and we didn't really know what to expect. So, the flexi-dining seemed OK albeit a bit inconvenient having to register for a table at the restaurant entrance and then wait around for half an hour for a table to be available. Since then we have had fixed dining times with other cruises at a large table, and liked the atmosphere, and company.

Are flexi-dining options still as described above, or can you opt for a large table with "fixed times".

We have cruised several times on NCL and never had to wait more than ten minutes for a 'shared' table. Usually we're seated right away.

NCL doesn't offer a 'fixed dining' option and I don't know if you can reserve tables ahead of time or not. We like the spontaneity of eating when we feel like it so we've never tried to reserve a seating ahead of time. We just walk up and are usually seated right away. Maybe you're trying to be seated at a time that is the most crowded?? We usually go within 30 minutes of the opening time.

I was on the Sun 14 months ago in an AC. The coffee maker was old Mr Coffee type. I had been hoping for the Lavazza... Oh well, still had coffee. The tvs in our suite were old box types, but worked fine. Sun was supposed to have a drydock in 2010, pushed to 2011. Would love to see after drydock, but wouldn't keep me off prior to it.

Seems Noro problem is in the past, for now.

Dining is freestyle. We never had to wait over 5 minutes for a table. Never 30! I understand a group can request a set time/table. Maybe you can find some other like-minded folks, perhaps the dining room captain can help you, if others inquire to him as well, or if you go to the M&G, you can see if anyone else feels such as you... But I am afraid most of us, because of freestyle, choose NCL.

Be sure to try Il Adagio, it's lovely!

We were on the Sun 8 months ago and while it was looking a little worn in places, it was spotlessly clean. That; to me, is what matters most.

In fact, we so enjoyed our trip on her that we're booked to go to the Baltics on her in June. The crew is great and so friendly. But we are friendly, respectful people and we've always found that if we treat someone with respect we get the same back.

As for the virus, I agree with NMLady, I haven't heard that there were any viruses on the Sun since I've been watching her reviews and such (about 2 years).

We've also never had to wait for a table in the main dining rooms on the Sun. Never! However, the buffet is a different story. The dining area is small but you can take your food around the corner into Pacific Heights or up a few stairs to a open, canvas-covered lounge that hardly anyone uses. The view is better too.

I hope you forgot your worries & cares and have a great cruise. :D

The Sun has been a lucky ship without any major engine problems for a ship her age. Its most likely the reason her dry dock was delayed. Cruise lines schedule dry docks more so for their ship's engines and maintenance, less so for the ship's appearance...

NCL has open seating in their main dining rooms. Sometimes the dining rooms are full, so I suggest dining early or late, not during the prime rush... I dine within an hour of a main dining room opening, and never had to wait for more than a minute or two...

I may go to a speciality restaurant once on a cruise, and have always been able to book a time after breakfast for dinner that evening quickly without any problems. It don't take much more than thirty seconds as one walks by the reservations desk in the lobby...

Open seating is no different than dining at restaurants at home. First come, first serve. The way I prefer dining.

We were on the Sun in January for the two week South American cruise. It was our first time with NCL and we were a little concerned since we'd heard negative things about the freestyle experience but we enjoyed it so much we booked a Med cruise on the Jade. The Sun is a little worn but as Kancruse mentioned, it was very clean and comfortable. There had been a minor virus outbreak prior to our cruise so for the first few days staff served everything on the buffet and as with most of the other lines, hand sanitizers were prevalent and their use was strongly encouraged at every turn. We're early diners so never had to wait to be seated and usually got a window table.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I are sailing with my sisters, their husbands and another couple on the Sun, June 28. I just joined Cruise Critic and want all of you to know you have put my mind at ease. You don't realize how many people have the same concerns and questions as you. Thank you all again..I know where I can go if I have any questions...:D

My husband and I are sailing with my sisters, their husbands and another couple on the Sun, June 28. I just joined Cruise Critic and want all of you to know you have put my mind at ease. You don't realize how many people have the same concerns and questions as you. Thank you all again..I know where I can go if I have any questions...:D

Hi there! We too are sailing on the 28th June. Why not come over and look at our roll call and maybe come along to the meet and greet?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1021184

We will all be happy to meet you. It is going to be a great trip.

Thanks, I will. We would love meet everyone. We are flying I to england on Saturday and taking private car out to Dover on early Monday morning dropping bags at terminal then off to the castel and war time tunnels before boarding. We booked Denrus for Russia and Germany doing the other countries on our own. We are really looking forward to this cruise. The only disapointment is that the Mermaid will not be in Copenhagen and will have to visit the smaller relicar in the park. See you on the Sun

See you on the Sun

Yes we will indeed see you there.

I have never sailed the Sun but I am very encouraged by the good reports she gets and I am very much looking forward to adding this ship to my NCL tally.

Jean

Yes we will indeed see you there.

I have never sailed the Sun but I am very encouraged by the good reports she gets and I am very much looking forward to adding this ship to my NCL tally.

Jean

Please make sure you report back on here after your cruise. We are going on the Sun in January and would love more information, whether it be good or bad.

Hopefully you will have a wonderful cruise.:)

Please make sure you report back on here after your cruise. We are going on the Sun in January and would love more information, whether it be good or bad.

Hopefully you will have a wonderful cruise.:)

I'll be on the Sun from 9/20 to 10/23 (3 b2b cruises) so I will also report on my view of the condition of the Sun and the service by the crew. I hear the crew is still great!

I'll be on the Sun from 9/20 to 10/23 (3 b2b cruises) so I will also report on my view of the condition of the Sun and the service by the crew. I hear the crew is still great!

Wow!! Feeling real envious right about now!!:D Maybe someday.

Enjoy all 3!!

The Sun has a wonderful crew and service is as well as other NCL ships. Since the Sun has been very lucky, her dry dock has been delayed a year. I suspect she will look worn as if she will need a dry dock soon. Keep in mind the cruise lines book dry docks for the ship machinery more so than they do for a ship's appearance...

I will be boarding the Sun for a 12 day Baltic tomorrow around noon. Look for a "Live From" trip report starting tomorrow... hit me with any specific questions you like...

:cool:COOL will be looking forward to that:)

I will be boarding the Sun for a 12 day Baltic tomorrow around noon. Look for a "Live From" trip report starting tomorrow... hit me with any specific questions you like...

Fantastic, looking forward to hearing all you have to say about your trip.

Jean

We will be boarding as you disembark! I can't wait to hear about your trip. :D

Just got back from the April 26-May 11th Sun transatlantic. I posted a review on the Sun review board.

Several cabins had plumbing problems and folks had to be moved, but all else went well. Any questions, let me know.

Amy

I hope they get that all sorted out before we sail!

Just got back from the April 26-May 11th Sun transatlantic. I posted a review on the Sun review board.

Several cabins had plumbing problems and folks had to be moved, but all else went well. Any questions, let me know.

Amy

oh COOL i had a fren on this one...she should be coming home tomorrow i think....HOPE you had a WONDERFUL time

looking forward to the SUN in December

all hubby is worried about is getting his chicken strips and wings from the sports bar (since no Blue Lagoon) LATE-night...was that doable?

oh and ping pong available...my only question is did they serve chicken cordon bleu in the MDR....THANKS:)

Archived