ginger candy??

melanie1877

Hi,

I'm leaving on the Carnival Pride next Sunday (may 2), and I am taking my 3yo. I talked to my pediatrician about just in case seasickness meds, and she told me to talk to my local pharmacist. She said they make children's dramamine, and that I could use that. However, when I went to talk to the pharmacist, she said that they don't make children's dramamine, or any other OTC seasickness med for a child that age. She said to take nausau meds, if he feels symptoms, and use a sea band. I know he will not keep a sea band on, so I was wondering what others with children this young did??:confused: I have heard of ginger candies, but where do you buy something like that? I didn't see it in the pharmacy anywhere, and are they hard candies that a 3yo could choke on? Ahhh, help!!:confused:

Try to find some crystalized ginger. You can get it at the grocery store (either near the spices or the oriental foods) or any health food store. It's just candied ginger...so it's a little sweeter. If you start to feel seasick...chew on a small piece.

I bought ginger chews candy. Found them in the organic section of our mega grocery store. Came in a small box that looked like cigarettes. They were little pieces of taffy like ginger that was very burning in the mouth. I don't think your child would like it.

I did see dried ginger in the grocery that might be better. I have heard of eating ginger snap cookies, that might appeal most to a little one or ginger ale soda. I believe altoids makes ginger hard candies, but don't know if you'd want to give her that at age 3 or not with chocking.

My kids are very prone to motion sickness, so I can relate. The ship itself isn't so bad as it is really big. If there are bad seas maybe a problem. Much more issues with bus/car rides in our house. So much so that we invested in "relief bands" that look like a watch and it gives you little electrical shocks! My kids are older now and am sure your tot wouldn't like that either.

Unless your child is really prone to motion sickness like mine, I bet you will find that there are no real issues cruising. When they were preschoolers they cruised and I didnt use anything. Maybe we were just luckey!

thanks for all the fast replies. I don't think that I will need anything, either, but rather safe than sorry! I think I will try to find some ginger candies, and maybe pack some ginger snaps! Hopefully, it will all be for nothing!:)

I found some lollipops for motion sickness at a kid's consignment store (Once Upon a Child). I think they may sell them at bigger chains like Babies R Us. Look in the pregnancy section near the Preggo Pops. I have a feeling they are the same thing.

Kids will def not like candied Ginger. It is VERY strong; I can barely handle it.

We always take ginger pills with us, it is powdered ginger in gelatine capsules that you swallow like a pill.

Maybe you can pull one open and sprinkle it on or in Junior's food or drink.

I tend to think that the sea bands are more of a placebo effect, but they SEEM to work for me, either way. I like to laff at the dents they leave in my wrists when I wear them all day hee hee

Whatever you buy (I like Host Mach's ideas the best), I would let your kid try it before you get on the ship.

The candied ginger that you get in Whole Foods or Trader Joe's (where the bagged nuts are) has a really strong/spicy flavor. You can buy ginger pills in Walmart and then just open them and put some in some juice.

Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? They make a wonderful triple ginger snap cookie that a child might actually like and it has whole chunks of candied ginger in it.

I love ginger Altoids for a queasy tummy (although I've never been motion sick) but the taste is really strong - almost a spicy, hot taste. You have to really like pure ginger to do the candies so child may not care for them.

The back of the children's dramamine box says that children 2-6 can take 1/4 to 1/2 every 6 hours...but there is an all natural motion sickness med that I plan on taking when we cruise. It is made by Hyland's and I have seen it on the shelves at my local Rite Aid-

http://www.hylands.com/products/motionsickness.php

Have fun on the Pride...if you can I'd love to hear how your 3yo enjoyed the cruise. If he goes to Camp Carnival at all...just like to hear some feedback. We cruise on Pride in August. My daughter will have just turned 4 when we leave...

Have a great time!!!!

I used ginger candy when I was pregnant with my son. Both Motherhood Maternity and Babies R Us carried them as a hard candy. I'm pretty sure I've seen them as suckers too, just not sure where (possibly Motherhood and other maternity stores as well as Babies R Us and/or Toys R Us)

I was thinking this same thing too...they're called Preggo Pops. I used them for morning sickness with my little ones...

that might be a good solution for kids who get sea sick- give them Preggo Pops! LOL!!:)

I've been sailing for years and take people out to sea a lot. I always have a bottle of "Ginger Trips" onboard. You can get them at any drug store and it's just ginger and some B vitamins. Works great.

Most Ginger ale products don't have much ginger in 'em. Ginger Beer is great. It's ginger soda with "real" ginger in it.

Plus I have found that "sea sickness" is a mind set thing for most people. Keep busy and talk a lot. A shot of Rum or two can't hurt.

Don't give your small kids anything for medical purposes including seasickness until you call your pediatrician or family doctor. Holistic, natural supplements can be poisonous to anyone, especially small kids. They are not researched or approved by the FDA- Food and Drug Admin. Most M.D.s practices have staff nurses that will answer your question for free, or hospitals have nurse access which is free. Or please talk to a friend who is a registered nurse.

The back of the children's dramamine box says that children 2-6 can take 1/4 to 1/2 every 6 hours...but there is an all natural motion sickness med that I plan on taking when we cruise. It is made by Hyland's and I have seen it on the shelves at my local Rite Aid-

http://www.hylands.com/products/motionsickness.php

Have fun on the Pride...if you can I'd love to hear how your 3yo enjoyed the cruise. If he goes to Camp Carnival at all...just like to hear some feedback. We cruise on Pride in August. My daughter will have just turned 4 when we leave...

Have a great time!!!!

Thanks, Diana! I will definately post some feedback when I return. This board has been so helpful in helping us plan for our first cruise, that I will certainly give back when we return from our vacation!

Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? They make a wonderful triple ginger snap cookie that a child might actually like and it has whole chunks of candied ginger in it.

I love ginger Altoids for a queasy tummy (although I've never been motion sick) but the taste is really strong - almost a spicy, hot taste. You have to really like pure ginger to do the candies so child may not care for them.

No, we don't have a Trader Joe's nearby, however, we do have several natural food, health food stores, which have a large supply of healthy snacks. I will check these stores, to see if they have natural ginger snap cookies. Thanks for the input!:)

Don't give your small kids anything for medical purposes including seasickness until you call your pediatrician or family doctor. Holistic, natural supplements can be poisonous to anyone, especially small kids. They are not researched or approved by the FDA- Food and Drug Admin. Most M.D.s practices have staff nurses that will answer your question for free, or hospitals have nurse access which is free. Or please talk to a friend who is a registered nurse.

Absolutely. Would never give my child something without checking with his pediatrician first. Was just looking for suggestions, so that I can go to her with several ideas / options.

Cunard (White Star Line) has served ginger candy each evening after dinner with your coffee since the late 1800's. If you ever sailed on the QE2, or the QM2 you may have heard the story. What I don't understand in that Cunard is owned by Carnival, but Cunard is the ONLY cruise line that serves ginger candy. WHY? Ginger is the best cure for seasickness.

I don't think many children get seasick. He won't even think about it if it's not mentioned.

The ginger candy sounds great. I'll try that myself. I bought children's Bonine for my daughter in case she needed it. (She's a teenager) I think she only took a half pill the whole trip.

Archived