Help w/decision? Westerdam T/A 10/25 or Statendam Panama Canal 10/29?

StartrainDD

Both of these are cruises we'd really like to do. Our agent has a promotion on the Westerdam T/A including Air that is very appealing. We've not been to Europe before but also have not done the Canal, and I've been watching the fares on the Statendam. Both of these ships had refurbs this year...

Other than the fact that the Westerdam cruise is longer, what do you more experienced cruisers think? I think the cost for cruise and air will be about the same.

We recently (Nov '09) did the 19-day repositioning cruise from FLL to San Diego - full transit through the Panama Canal - on the Oosterdam. It was one of our top 3 cruises - ever!!

The engineering is phenomenal, the itinerary was fabulous, the weather was great and the "O" was just perfect. We are considering doing the same cruise again in 2011.

We will be on the Westerdam in August, and it will be our first sailing on that particular vessel. Since she is a 'sister ship' to the Oosterdam, I'm sure we will love her just as much!

Re-po cruises offer more 'bang-for-your-buck' - at least, we have found that to be the case. If you can get in on one of those - grab it!

Smooth Sailing with whatever your decision may be! :)

Thank you for the responses! I was originally looking at the late September repos from the west coast thru the canal, but regretfully DW can't get away from work in September; hence the late October dates.

I think we will continue to look towards the canal cruise but I'm not yet ready to book hoping fares may come down this summer.

We've done both. Ship wise I prefer the size of the Statendam and the canal is, indeed, wonderful.

I love to cruise in Europe there is so much to see and do. The joy of an East-West TA is that you spend lots of energy touring the ports at the beginning of the cruise and then you have those lovely 25 hour sea days to recuperate and relax!

You really can't go wrong with either voyage.

Both of these are cruises we'd really like to do. Our agent has a promotion on the Westerdam T/A including Air that is very appealing. We've not been to Europe before but also have not done the Canal, and I've been watching the fares on the Statendam. Both of these ships had refurbs this year...

Other than the fact that the Westerdam cruise is longer, what do you more experienced cruisers think? I think the cost for cruise and air will be about the same.

My rule is to always choose the smaller ship - Statendam

Look us up if you take the Statendam thru the canal. My wife and I have had this on our must do list for years. We're taking it to celebrate 25years of marriage and 26 years of cruising together! Hope to see you on board.

Look us up if you take the Statendam thru the canal. My wife and I have had this on our must do list for years. We're taking it to celebrate 25years of marriage and 26 years of cruising together! Hope to see you on board.

Thank you, if we take this cruise I'm sure we will be chatting on the roll call. You may want to correct your countdown clock (you made me double check!:eek:) as the cruise leaves on Oct 29.:)

Archived