Kid seasickness suggestion?

Billmont

My daughter gets motion sickness. Since she is very anti-any medicine, I purchased these accupressure wrist bands. They sell them at most drug stores. They are like wide cloth rubber bands and have a plastic knob which is placed inside their wrists. They are not tight but keeps the pressure of the little knobs consistent. This seems to help her when flying and driving. We are going on our first cruise and I will definitely bring them along (and a spare pair too). Hopefully this will help.

I started giving my (now 13 yo) daughter bonine when she was 4 years old. 1/2 tablet. I checked with my pediatrician first. She was.....still is VERY prone to motion sickness and the bonine works wonders! Actually, all my kids get motion sick..........must have got it from me:o ! I get motion sick on the dock!!! No kiddding!

Ginger is a great non-medicinal option too.

Call your doc and ask.

~lurker

My son who is now 11 suffers terrible motion sickness in a car longer than 20 minutes. We found sea bands and they have kept him comfortable riding, flying and worked beautifully on our cruise last year. Certainly better than the medicine that made him to tired to move.:)

Guest Time2gocruzn

I would really like to know the correct dose for my 4 yo (also concerned about my 2yo). I don't plan on having to give it to them, but if I need to I want to know how much to give them with out going to the ship dr....I like to be prepared;). His ped said kids can't take Bonine, but I know they can...it just has to be dosed down. Many meds are like that..benadryl included, which I know people give kids all the time:confused:.

I think that there is a pediatric formula of Dramamine out there some where. I had a friend who had a toddler that threw up every time he was in the car and she used it almost every day, with good results. I would not want to have to use it every day but once in a while on a cruise should not hurt anything! I am pretty sure it was a liquid but I am not absolutely positive. You can probably ask the pharmacist at your local drug store. They might even be able to special order it if they don't usually carry it.

My 8 year old daughter gets motion sickness in the car on long rides, also.

She did not, however, ever get seasick on any of her cruises.

I think the boat would have to be rocking pretty badly for a child to get sick. I think most of the adults only get sick because they make themselves sick worrying about it.

I think a lot of it is in people's heads, to be perfectly honest.

My kids have been on two cruises so far and the first time around they were worried about getting sea sick. The secret I found with them is to keep the kids busy so they dont have time to think about being sick, stay out in the fresh air, and make sure they keep eating, and drink ginger ale.

I do believe that in some cases sea sickness is all the head, if you give them a sea band and swear to them it will work, chances are all will be fine.

Our last cruise was to Bermuda and we had very rough waters and were on a small ship and they were fine.

• 1 month later...

We cruised 2 summers ago with our (then) 7-year-old son, and my husband's sister and her family, including 3 girls, aged 7, 10 and 12. All 3 girls were queasy the second night at dinner, and didn't eat much. My son complained a little about being dizzy and that his head "felt funny" but none of that stopped him from eating. (Not that anything ever would.... LOL!)

We are taking our 5-year-old daughter with us this time, and I think I'll try the wristbands for both of them, and maybe take along some Bonine or kid's Dramamine. Our friends took along some of that for their kids a couple of years ago, and gave them some before getting on the ship. (The cruise was a surprise up until they got right to the dock. They told them that they would need the seasickness medicine because they were getting so close to the water. LOL!) Anyway, the kids complained that they were tired and that their legs felt really heavy. ;) But I don't think they gave them any more the rest of the trip, and they were fine.

Do they make the patches for kids?

Walmart used to sell a chewable generic brand that had a kid's dosage listed. I have checked 2 of my local Walmarts and they it appears that they don't sell it anymore. I would try another store.( Target, Kmart, etc)

Also, Walmart's generic of the reg. tablets does list a child's dosage. I bought a 12 ct box for $1.87 today, just in case we need them. I have used 1/2 a tablet for my 7 year old. She sometimes gets car sick. I do not feel it made her overly sleepy.

HTH!

Peg

• 4 weeks later...

I give my 2 DD's children's dramamine on car trips and plan to do it for at least the first day or so of our cruise in June. But a caution -- even the kid's form of dramamine is very bitter. I've crushed either an adult tablet of the appropriate dosage or a kid's chewable in applesauce and sometimes that makes it easier. I also have a drink handy to wash away the awful taste (for me too!) Pudding and yogurt would probably work too.

Happy cruising.

But I have a daughter, now 10, who is very prone to motion sickness. We took our first cruise when she was 3. The doctor recommened benadryl for the cruise and airplane rides. It contains some sort of medcine that they give to child cancer patients to help them with nausea too. BUT PLEASE check with your doctor!

I was very prone to motion sickness when I was little and still am in certain situations. I always took children's dramamine and that worked well. The orange actually doesn't taste too bad and they can be swallowed pretty quickly. The key in cars is to always be able to see where you're going and not to read (or closely focus on anything inside the car) in the car, especially if you haven't taken anything. Also, make sure to eat beforehand or else you're more likely to get sick. Crackers are really good to keep on hand.

• 1 month later...

My 8 year old daughter gets sick on the 1 hour drive to the drop off point where we meet her father! I give her aquarter of the draimemine tablet before we leave and she is fine for the hour there and the 30 minute drive from there to her father's house. She didn't use to be like this, she and her other siblings have always been great car riders but about 2 months ago, all hell broke loose! Now she can't ride with out them. She gets so sick that she vomits like three times in the car and a few times once we get home if we don't give it to her.

I want to try and find the seabands, I like the non-medicine way better.

PS- Madisson has been on three cruises and has never been sea sick once while aboard! Most be the sea air and the stabilizers! I think she was just born to cruise like her folks!

I've always suffered pretty badly from motion sickness (I even get it from shopping, turning my head one way then the other etc..) What works best for me are the dramamine or bovine tablets. As another poster above said, make sure the tummy has something in it and also have a clear (preferably straight) look out to the horizon.

For natural solutions I bring a bit of ginger root (can find at your local grocery store) and make a tea or bring something sour like lemon drops or cabbage patch kids. This works really great for motion sickness (and morning sickness too)

I've never tried the seabands. Might have to check them out.

Now having said all of that, in the 3 cruises I have been on, I was only slightly sick 1 evening on one of them. The other 2 I had no problems on at all. I'm on the NCL Sea next and I hear it really rocks & rolls :eek: so I'm pulling out all the stops for that, for me and the kids.

Cristin

I suffer violent travel sickness from air/sea travel (hop off and have violent giddiness for sometimes days) and have found the wrist bands to be the answer and also invaluable!!!!!! We had one day or so on the Diamond in November where I felt a tiny bit woosy and sure enough upon picking up DD from kids club she complained of nausea too (without a word having been said to her) - putting our wrist bands on bought almost instantaneous relief - we swear by them - my 2c

Jane

just fyi.... on the 2 cruises we were on..... both of the kids programs (the main drop off & playroom as it were) were located in the very very very did i say very front of the ship, when i went to pick them up i got a bit quesy, & i usually am not so affected.... i just wanted to let you know if youre thinking of having the kids in the ships programs..... might be worth finding out where theyll be spending some of their time on the ship.... i gave both of mine a chewable bonine before we would go to the program.... it worked like a charm.... good luck to all...... twyla

When my son was around 15 mos old we discovered that he got car sick. (Nothing like loosing your cookies in the Wawona Tunnel on the way into Yosemite Vally.)

I was distressed since we had already purchased airlines tickets to Tahiti to visit my husband's side of the family. My pediatrian told me to use Benadryl liquid. He doesn't go on a curvy road without taking it and he is now 15.

I would check with your pediatrian to be sure, but it works very well for him. I only give him about a quarter of the normal dosage, so it doesn't put him to sleep or make him sleepy.

We have driven some wild road on family vacations without any problems at all. One road that he has been on without any problems was nicknamed Dramamine Drive. :eek:

Deb

• 3 weeks later...

We have been on 2 cruises with our Granddaughter who get motion sickness in cars, airplanes, buses, and cruises. We got her the wrist bands and had her drink ginger ale all the time. She felt a little queazzy the 1st day and only for 1 or 2 hrs. Then everything kicked in and no more problem.

When we started planning our next cruise Oct 9 - The first thing she said is I still have my wrist band so I am ready to go.

I keep hoping she will grow out of the airplane motion sickness as she flies a lot. She lives in Hawaii and we are in Calif. so she and her family come here a lot.

But I have a daughter, now 10, who is very prone to motion sickness. We took our first cruise when she was 3. The doctor recommened benadryl for the cruise and airplane rides. It contains some sort of medcine that they give to child cancer patients to help them with nausea too. BUT PLEASE check with your doctor!

My kid's pediatrician recommended the same thing. I will be bringing some with us next month. You can get generic Benadryl really cheap at Costco. It is called diphenhydramine.

Archived