Mariner leaving :( West Coast is sad

Hey fellow cruise members--

On the Oasis in 12/09---no diamond gift given oh a bland back pack

On the VOS in 2/10---terry slippers given

On 11 day Radiance---a cheese plater

What do you all think it is about? My guess is two ships costing 5.4 billion doing alternate destinations each week. Who wants to do that all the time.

Service is great, but when does that become enough with all there other charges? The food makes our ankles swell with all they put in---and not as good as the old days.

I used to feel really special on RCI, but I am afraid times are changing that special feeling!! :(

It is all about money. But all things change.

After my cruise in October to Canada & New England, I will no longer sail with RCCL until they start thinking about the customer first. It wasn't that long ago that when you went on board one of there ships and you just felt special from the get go. But now that they are building these Mega Ships they no longer have good customer service. They are trying to pay for these Mega ships to be built and they could care less about what their customers think.

I have decided that from now on I will book with Princess. They haven't abbandoned the West Coast, they are known for their customer service, food is much better, and the cabins are larger and priced less than RCCL.

:confused:

After my cruise in October to Canada & New England, I will no longer sail with RCCL until they start thinking about the customer first. It wasn't that long ago that when you went on board one of there ships and you just felt special from the get go. But now that they are building these Mega Ships they no longer have good customer service. They are trying to pay for these Mega ships to be built and they could care less about what their customers think.

I have decided that from now on I will book with Princess. They haven't abbandoned the West Coast, they are known for their customer service, food is much better, and the cabins are larger and priced less than RCCL.

:confused:

We also cruise Princess. We really enjoy their service, food and varied entertainment options in the evenings for adults. However, I must disagree about cabin size. While we are content with a D1 or D2 on RCI we find we must upgrade to a mini-suite on Princess due to the lack of seating area in their regular balcony cabins. We just like having a sofa, not just one small chair (besides the desk chair) in the cabin. That bumps the price of a Princess cruise up a bit for us.

When choosing a cruise we are now weighing itinerary, price and ship together and in that order. Princess definitely has some of the better itineraries, IMHO. We prefer the RCI ships. Price can vary quite a bit, but I found on at least one cruise I could go on Princess cheaper, even with the upgraded stateroom. We will be away from RCI for the next couple of cruises. Time will tell where 2012 will take us.

I booked my next Mexican Riviera cruise. After comparing Sapphire Princess and Carnival Spirit, I opted for CCL. Why? They were priced within $10 of each other. Princess in a mini-suite is 7 nights. Carnival in an ocean suite is 9 nights. Carnival has made Cabo a 2 day port. Yippee!

And yes, I've cruised CCL 3 times before and had a great time even though the older ships were a bit bland and institutional in some areas...the halls and stairways mainly. This will be my first Spirit class ship so I hope it's a bit more appealing in design and appearance.

The price is very similar to my 10 and 11 RCI MR cruises in a JS.

I'd still rather be doing the MR on RCI. But, oh well, they made the choice for us.

Gina

"Here is she backing down the channel the morning of Feb 19th.....Her first Morning in LA..."

Thanks for the awesome pictures! We were in corner aft cabin 1388 that morning and in your pictures I can see that the 'light was on' and we were getting ready to disembark after 46 wonderful days.

I have to say that I am thrilled that she is coming to Galveston since we live 2 hours from the port. In fact, I am going to book the TA as soon as it is available. :D

So first we lose Monarch, now Mariner?? They really are ignoring their strong West Coast base, and that's not good. I already tried Carnival's Splendor, no bueno. Where the heck does that leave me now???:eek::(:mad:

Yeah, ditto on the Carnival Splendor, too...Wished I had taken Royal......I'm sure RCCL isn't leaving the west coast all for Carnival......Maybe a different ship will be here. Hope so. Also hope that They'll do a 3-4 day. Been on the Paradise--would like to try RCCl instead.

Yeah, ditto on the Carnival Splendor, too...Wished I had taken Royal......I'm sure RCCL isn't leaving the west coast all for Carnival......Maybe a different ship will be here. Hope so. Also hope that They'll do a 3-4 day. Been on the Paradise--would like to try RCCl instead.

Only reasons I tried Splendor were:

1. She was brand new at the time.

2. I got a full suite (cat. 12) for the price of a JS on Mariner the same week.:eek:

3. It had been a good 7 years since I had last tried Carnival, I wanted to see if they had improved...THEY DIDN'T!:mad:

We west coasters are officially homeless!:p

Probably due to revenues. A possible contributing factor is the unrest in Mexico and wanting to avoid any problems. Just think what could happen if one tourist is hurt in one of the port cities. When the cruise lines had to skip ports in Mexico because of H1N1 the cruise line had to find alternate ports on the west coast. As I remember, people on these boards damned the cruise lines and screamed and yelled for full refunds. At least in the Caribean and on the East coast there are alternative ports.

I would suggest a cruise next year to an alternate destination. The beaches in the Caribean are beautiful and there is a whole world out there. In a few years, Royal will probably be back with an alternative ship, ask people in some of the other ports (not Florida).

And yes I have been on this cruise on Vision of the Seas (for $379 each + shipboard credit), and yes I was on a Panama Canal cruise that skipped a port in Mexico because of H1N1 and I saw how a few people wanted their money back for the whole day.

Hey fellow cruise members--

On the Oasis in 12/09---no diamond gift given oh a bland back pack

On the VOS in 2/10---terry slippers given

On 11 day Radiance---a cheese plater

What do you all think it is about? My guess is two ships costing 5.4 billion doing alternate destinations each week. Who wants to do that all the time.

Service is great, but when does that become enough with all there other charges? The food makes our ankles swell with all they put in---and not as good as the old days.

I used to feel really special on RCI, but I am afraid times are changing that special feeling!! :(

It is all about money. But all things change.

Where did you get 5.4 billion for two ships? Try 1.4 billion for each ship.

Interesting quote from Adam Goldstein - Chief Executive and President of Royal Caribbean International from 1Q 2010 earnings call

Last week, Royal Caribbean announced that Mariner of the Seas will leave her base in Los Angeles next January, and operate 2011 programs from home ports in Brazil, Italy and Texas. We have a long history operating from California to the Mexico Riviera, and certainly we hope to return in the future.

I have frequently commented on these calls about our commitment to Europe and the potential we see for further growth of the major European markets. As a result of the redeployment of Mariner, in summer 2011, half of our 22-ship fleet will be in Europe, including two of three Freedom-class ships and four of five Voyager-class ships. It is possible that from May to October 2011, Royal Caribbean International will carry more guests on European cruises than any other cruise lines. While the clear majority of our guests on our Europe cruises will come from the European point of sale, we are pleased with the demand we are seeing from North America at this point in the selling cycle.

It seems that RCI has made a conscious decision to move away from the US market and focus on Europe and Asia. They also indicated on the call that there are no plans for any new Royal Caribbean ships beyond Allure. Instead they will focus on remodeling existing ships for the foreseeable future. Despite his words about returning to the west coast market, I just don't see it happening for a long time, if ever.

Interesting quote from Adam Goldstein - Chief Executive and President of Royal Caribbean International from 1Q 2010 earnings call

Last week, Royal Caribbean announced that Mariner of the Seas will leave her base in Los Angeles next January, and operate 2011 programs from home ports in Brazil, Italy and Texas. We have a long history operating from California to the Mexico Riviera, and certainly we hope to return in the future.

I have frequently commented on these calls about our commitment to Europe and the potential we see for further growth of the major European markets. As a result of the redeployment of Mariner, in summer 2011, half of our 22-ship fleet will be in Europe, including two of three Freedom-class ships and four of five Voyager-class ships. It is possible that from May to October 2011, Royal Caribbean International will carry more guests on European cruises than any other cruise lines. While the clear majority of our guests on our Europe cruises will come from the European point of sale, we are pleased with the demand we are seeing from North America at this point in the selling cycle.

It seems that RCI has made a conscious decision to move away from the US market and focus on Europe and Asia. They also indicated on the call that there are no plans for any new Royal Caribbean ships beyond Allure. Instead they will focus on remodeling existing ships for the foreseeable future. Despite his words about returning to the west coast market, I just don't see it happening for a long time, if ever.

And here is why.

From Seatrader Inside News.

Quote:

Demand is growing at a much brisker rate in Europe than in the more mature North American market. In 2009, Europe produced 4.95m passengers, 12% more than the year before, while North America reached 10.19m cruisers, a 1.04% increase.

With the exception of the UK market, which rose 4%, to 1.53m passengers, Europe’s other leading source nations clipped along at double-digit growth rates: 13.2% for Germany (1.02m), 16% for Italy (790,000), 26% for Spain (627,000) and 12% for France (347,000).

end of quote

http://www.cruise-community.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2703:europe-in-2011-an-increasingly-crowded-field-&catid=906:newsheadlines&Itemid=67

The cruise lines are following the money. HAL, Celebrity and Princess are adding ships and Carnival is returning to Europe.

I was glad to hear on the call today that RCI is going to focus more on refurbishing ships and slowing down the new builds. They need to get out from under some of the debt. I think that all the cruise lines learned their lesson from this recent economic disaster.

I was glad to hear on the call today that RCI is going to focus more on refurbishing ships and slowing down the new builds. They need to get out from under some of the debt. I think that all the cruise lines learned their lesson from this recent economic disaster.

Royal Caribbean must be very proud of itself. It has the five biggest cruise ships in the world.

I can't wait till the European market is sooo oversaturated with cruise ships that they start exiting in droves the way they are exiting the West Coast right now. Then they will announce with lots of fanfare the return of some smaller, older ship to the West Coast and those folks who don't remember the situation with the Mariner will book with excitement.

Unfortunately RCCL has left a very bad taste in my mouth after this situation and I am much less likely to return to Royal when they come back. And I bet they will be back in 5 years....

In the meantime, I am going to continue to cruise Princess. As a matter of fact, we decided to book our Alaska cruise with Princess in 2011 instead of Royal because we would rather have the cruise credits with a line that still is represented on the West Coast than one that has bailed.... We also cancelled our Radiance cruise this Fall.

Katherine

I think RCI has made a conscious decision to try and make more money and increase profits........(oh that dreaded word) I think if and when they can make more money from every profit center (not just filling ships) that they can in Europe they will come back in a heartbeat.

I too am glad that RCI is going to focus on remodeling existing ships....that debt load had to be a crush to them when the economy turned.......

And here is why.

From Seatrader Inside News.

Quote:

Demand is growing at a much brisker rate in Europe than in the more mature North American market. In 2009, Europe produced 4.95m passengers, 12% more than the year before, while North America reached 10.19m cruisers, a 1.04% increase.

With the exception of the UK market, which rose 4%, to 1.53m passengers, Europe’s other leading source nations clipped along at double-digit growth rates: 13.2% for Germany (1.02m), 16% for Italy (790,000), 26% for Spain (627,000) and 12% for France (347,000).

end of quote

http://www.cruise-community.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2703:europe-in-2011-an-increasingly-crowded-field-&catid=906:newsheadlines&Itemid=67

The cruise lines are following the money. HAL, Celebrity and Princess are adding ships and Carnival is returning to Europe.

Gordon thanks for the stats. Wow.........that really says it all from Seatrader........North America only a 1.04% increase........

This isn't about West Coast, East Coast or anywhere in between.......at that rate of growth, North Americans are lucky 5 more ships didn't go to Europe.

Gordon thanks for the stats. Wow.........that really says it all from Seatrader........North America only a 1.04% increase........

This isn't about West Coast, East Coast or anywhere in between.......at that rate of growth, North Americans are lucky 5 more ships didn't go to Europe.

North America is still twice the market Europe is.

As I said here before, I had planned on taking the Mariner in 2011, when my DD turned 3 yrs old. Having done Radiance in 2009, I realized that I should give Carnival a shot in 2010 (Camp Carnival starts at 2 yrs, while RCCL Adventures Ocean at 3 yrs). We went on the Splendor and had a great time. The ship was not as nice as Radiance but I found it to have many more bells and whistles than Monarch. So I just booked the Canival Splendor again in 2010. It looks like Disney in 2011. NCL (LA future?), Princess, and Holland are all possibilities (I have been on all of these 3 before), but I think Canival and Disney are the best for 3-5 yr olds. If RCCL returns in a few years to the west coast, maybe I will try them again, but maybe I won't.

Archived