What to do with luggage

stevecw

We are planning on renting a car at disembarkation. Our flight isn't till 7:30pm. We plan to do some site seeing around the island. We really don't want to have a rental car full of luggage sitting in parking lots as we go out and explore. Have read in several posts it is risky to leave luggage and things in rental cars. Does anyone know how far in advance of flight time you can check luggage at Honolulu airport? I don't think we could do a locker at the airport because we will have 2-3 large suitcases, and several carry-ons. We could probaby do a locker for the carry on's if we could check the big suitcases. Any other solutions people have found?

If you are on POA (and you don't say), I believe that there is luggage storage at the pier for a set amount per bag. There are NO lockers at HNL. You could leave your bags there and then go back on your way to the airport.

Also, maybe someone else will respond--I think I have read that someone found a luggage storage place near the airport.

Regulations usually don't allow you to check bags more than about 4 hours prior to flight time, so check that with your airline.

Good Luck

NCL has a program called easy fly where they will take your luggage to the airport for you. We didn't participate in this so I don't know all the particulars. Maybe someone else can fill you in.

Our HAL cruise in Alaska offered this. My sisters had a late flight also. They loved this feature. It did cost them $16 a person in 2008, but they felt it was money well spent. They left there luggage outside their cabins the night before and didn't see it until their home airport. The service also provided them with their printed out boarding passes. Hopefully it is similar for NCL. They did keep a small travel bag with them.

As far as how early you would be able to drop your luggage off ahead of time at the airport, that would have to be checked into. I know when my sisters looked into it for the Anchorage airport, it was six hours. You will have to do a little research to see what it is at Honolulu for the carrier you are using.

I was looking for a place to store our luggage. I called the Aloha Market Place and they do not have a storge facility. There was a company on Craigslist that would help get your luggage to the airport. Not so sure about that! We decided to take the island tour with NCL because our luggage will be with us under the bus. All the other tour companies did not have luggage areas on their buses. I was concerned about having the luggage in the trunk of a rental car. I think NCL charges 25.00 per bag for the luggage service and this doesnt count the airline fee! I hope it works out for you.

I was looking for a place to store our luggage. I called the Aloha Market Place and they do not have a storge facility. There was a company on Craigslist that would help get your luggage to the airport. Not so sure about that! We decided to take the island tour with NCL because our luggage will be with us under the bus. All the other tour companies did not have luggage areas on their buses. I was concerned about having the luggage in the trunk of a rental car. I think NCL charges 25.00 per bag for the luggage service and this doesnt count the airline fee! I hope it works out for you.

We opted for a tour with Grayline post cruise for this reason, and they DID have luggage storage on the tour bus. We booked this tour last minute for just $12/pp and that included Pearl Harbor, the Punchbowl, Waikiki, and Honolulu city tour with drop-off at the airport or at a Waikiki hotel afterwards.

Whale-watcher...Can you give more details about how your post-cruise tour was with Grayline? Did you get to do the whole Arizona experience at Pearl Harbor? What time did they pick you up at the ship? What time to the airport?

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats on your 35th wedding anniversary! Hope you have/had an awesome time!

I would also be interested to know more about the Grayline tour. I've been wondering about the luggage too. We are staying an extra couple of days and I thought we might drop it at the hotel, but the tour seems easier.

Whale-watcher...Can you give more details about how your post-cruise tour was with Grayline? Did you get to do the whole Arizona experience at Pearl Harbor? What time did they pick you up at the ship? What time to the airport?

Sorry for the late reply... The tour was fine; they picked us up at 7:30 and we went straight to PH; it was a busy day, so our tour of the Arizona did not start until about three hours later, and the driver drove us to the punchbowl and through downtown hnl first. We did have enough time in PH for the full Arizona experience including the movie and tour, and also time to visit the submarine and museum. After PH the driver dropped some pax off in Waikiki and gave the rest of us a quick tour before heading to the airport at 3:30 pm).

We had booked a car for the day but cancelled and opted for the grayline tour instead when we saw the price (they were outside the cruise terminal handing out info when we boarded)

Sorry for the late reply... The tour was fine; they picked us up at 7:30 and we went straight to PH; it was a busy day, so our tour of the Arizona did not start until about three hours later, and the driver drove us to the punchbowl and through downtown hnl first. We did have enough time in PH for the full Arizona experience including the movie and tour, and also time to visit the submarine and museum. After PH the driver dropped some pax off in Waikiki and gave the rest of us a quick tour before heading to the airport at 3:30 pm).

Gray Line called us and cancelled the tour the day we were to take it. :( We drove ourselves to the Memorial which worked out fine. On the upside, Gray Line quickly refunded us the cost.

We do come to the pier for limited numbers of bags and we charge $10 additional for this service.. what we C A N"T do is dispatch a bunch of vans to the pier and leave the airport without any coverage for the airport passengers...who call us constantly..

I have been doing this for 7 years continuous

I do limited pick ups there..1 vehicle can be dispatched to the pier...when it is full...that's it...

We are at the airport 7 days a week 07:30 - 2100 hrs....our minimum is $20 for up to 4 bags..or $5 a bag which ever comes after the 4...

We can pick up from anywhere the passengers need at the airport and drop off back to each individual passenger at their departing carrier...

Just let us know on the website and call on the day of the event (808) 372-5411

Dr. B O B

Gray Line called us and cancelled the tour the day we were to take it. :( We drove ourselves to the Memorial which worked out fine. On the upside, Gray Line quickly refunded us the cost.

Did you find that renting a car (I assume at the airport?) was convenient and cheaper than taxis to and from Waikiki and PH? We are planning on arriving at 5:45 p.m. one night, spending one night in Waikiki, visiting PH the next day, and then flying over to Hawaii late that afternoon. From your experience, would renting a car be preferable?

Archived