Is this an upgrade?

xop

I don't exactly understand an upgrade. So if we book an inside cabin & as the sail date gets closer and a suite may become cheaper or just a bit higher then what we paid for our inside cabin we can call our agent and ask for the suite? If it's cheaper then our inside cabin do we get a refund or onboard credit? Also if we stay in our inside cabin and the price drops as the sail date gets closer, we can ask for a refund or onboard credit for the difference? Thanks

I don't exactly understand an upgrade. So if we book an inside cabin & as the sail date gets closer and a suite may become cheaper or just a bit higher then what we paid for our inside cabin we can call our agent and ask for the suite?Difficuly question. In general,,YES. In reality,,maybe not. Depends on the policies of the cruiseline, the fare code that your originally purchased, and the policies of the TA If it's cheaper then our inside cabin do we get a refund or onboard credit?THAT ain't going to happen so just throw that idea out Also if we stay in our inside cabin and the price drops as the sail date gets closer, we can ask for a refund or onboard credit for the difference?See very first comment Thanks

Hope this helps rather than confuse you more.

I don't exactly understand an upgrade. So if we book an inside cabin & as the sail date gets closer and a suite may become cheaper or just a bit higher then what we paid for our inside cabin we can call our agent and ask for the suite? If it's cheaper then our inside cabin do we get a refund or onboard credit? Also if we stay in our inside cabin and the price drops as the sail date gets closer, we can ask for a refund or onboard credit for the difference? Thanks

I won't comment on price-drops because its a bit of a minefield, and depends on which cruise line etc.

Upgrade from inside to suite plus money back ?

Ahh, if only. :)

Usually a free upgrade is minor - from the booked cabin to a similar cabin on a better deck, or from the best OV to a basic balcony, etc.

But sometimes you can be offered a significant upgrade for a fraction of the normal price differential

Always worth checking out deck-plans before accepting. You might be better off, for instance, sticking with an inside in a quiet mid-ship spot rather than accepting an upgrade to an OV at the bow-end or under the theatre.

John Bull

You're not going to get an upgrade from an inside to a suite for a small amount of money. That's not how it's done, unfortunately. If you receive an upgrade, what you usually see is going from one inside cabin to another one in a better location, or to a cabin with a window, usually in the same location as your inside cabin. Reality is, you're not ever going to find that a suite is cheaper than an inside cabin---it doesn't work that way. Suites are very high end, and no cruise line will put them on sale for cheaper than their least expensive cabins---if they did that, everyone would book the cheapest cabins and wait for the suites to go on sale. I mean, do you really think that a suite that runs $4000 will go on sale for less than an inside cabins that costs $700? No, not ever.

Some lines will do what's known as an upsell, which is where you can change your cabin by paying the difference between cost of your cabin and the one you want to change to. Sometimes, cruise lines will allow that change for a price lower than the regular price, but don't count on that. You handle that once you're on the ship---go to the purser's desk and ask about upsells.

If the price of your cabin goes down, and it's past final payment date, the cruise line is under no obligation to give you a refund or on board credit. They generally do, as a matter of good business practice, but it's not required. But the cruise line will generally give you the lower price, via a refund or OBC, UNLESS it's a special sale for new bookings only. If it's one of those sales, they do not give you the lower price or the OBC.

The OP may have gotten this idea from something I posted on another thread. I booked an inside cabin on RCCL's Grandeur of the Seas last year for about $950 pp. The balcony cabins were $1600 pp when I booked, too much money. Well, the prices dropped closer to sail date on balconies to $1100 pp, so we changed cabin & paid the $300 total difference. Then a week before the cruise, prices on Mini-Suites dropped to the same price, so we changed to a Mini-Suite. So we kinda upgraded from an inside to a "Suite." One, it wasn't free & two, it wasn't quite a Suite.

Archived