How much down payment

xop

Does anyone know about how much down is usually required for a cruise? My hubby is KILLING me here with playing the waiting game. I want to go in Sept. '11 and he says wait until Sept. this year to book. We have the money NOW to pay for the whole cruise, but he always waits to do things. I could give you a list of items he wanted and didn't get, because when he decided the time was right for him, they were gone. We need a double stroller and he knows which one he's getting, we have the money, but he can't do it until Monday :confused: I know that don't have anything to do w/ a cruise, but it's an example. I tried explaining that cabin prices just go up the closer the sail date gets. He says he knows this, because he heard it on the radio on the way home from work last night. It's driving me nuts!!! it's almost like a control game he plays. Thanks

Does anyone know about how much down is usually required for a cruise? My hubby is KILLING me here with playing the waiting game. I want to go in Sept. '11 and he says wait until Sept. this year to book. We have the money NOW to pay for the whole cruise, but he always waits to do things. I could give you a list of items he wanted and didn't get, because when he decided the time was right for him, they were gone. We need a double stroller and he knows which one he's getting, we have the money, but he can't do it until Monday :confused: I know that don't have anything to do w/ a cruise, but it's an example. I tried explaining that cabin prices just go up the closer the sail date gets. He says he knows this, because he heard it on the radio on the way home from work last night. It's driving me nuts!!! it's almost like a control game he plays. Thanks

It depends on the route, the length and the company, can be $100 per person or $1000 per person, I suggest you ask your travel agent or the company.

Enjoy it!!!

I think the deposit is up to 20% of the fare. However, some TA's will have specials with lower amounts, sown to $100 per person. If you are in the US and book with a TA that does not have a cancelation penalty, you get your full deposit back if you cancel for any reason before final payment is made (usually 75 days before sailing).

NEVER pay for a cruise in full when you book! (Unless you are booking within 60-75 days of cruising, when you'd have to). Put down the deposit to hold everything, and then make your final payment when it's due. The length of your cruise will determine the amount of deposit per person you'll have to put down. The longer the cruise, the higher the deposit. The "double stroller" thing sounds like you have kids, and I don't know if you're planning to take them, but I would strongly encourage you to purchase third-party trip insurance (not the policy the cruise line offers). Your US health insurance will not be accepted on the ship or at most ports. Your best bet would be to call the cruise line directly for information. Just keep in mind that September is right in the middle of Hurricane Season, and you might not be able to make some ports. Hope you're able to find something that works for you both!

I'm going to throw another thought out there. It is absolutely not true that "cabin prices just go up" as cruise dates get closer. Yes, they sometimes do, especially for summer, school breaks, and holidays. Depending on the itinerary you want, it's very likely that the rates will go down along the way (if the cruise line feels the cruise isn't selling well or they want to fill a lot of cabins quickly or, well, any number of reasons). The fare could easily (and probably will) go down and up several times between now and Sept 2011.

However, there is an advantage to booking now and paying the deposit (only the deposit; why give them money before it's required?). You'll have a tremendous selection of cabins to choose from and can start to get excited about the whole thing now. If the fare decreases, you may (see below) be able to get a refund of the difference or an onboard credit, referred to here as OBC. You could also ask to switch to a higher category (if the higher category is also less than it was when you booked). You would have to check periodically and then call the cruise line (if you booked directly) or your travel agent (if you used one) to ask for it. If the fare increases, the cruise line will not charge you the difference; you've locked it the fare by paying a deposit. You can also start tracking airfares (if applicable) if you know for sure what your dates are. And you can start researching your ship and ports.

Here's the "see below" part: There are many instances where the cruise line will not honor a fare decrease, even if it's well before final payment. For example, if a special is "for new bookings only," then you wouldn't qualify (usually even if you cancelled and tried to rebook at the new fare). Or if it is past final payment date and cancellation penalties kick in, many cruise lines will not give you fare decreases. Some lines will offer OBC or an upgraded category, but you can't count on it.

So there are arguments for booking now and arguments for waiting. Sorry to make it even more difficult.

beachchick

my wife and I just booked a 7 day cruise with RCCLcruise a year away and the deposit was $250 PP. I have done both booked early and late.Booking early I get what I want,booking late I have to settle for what is left and pay more

I know Carnival charges $250pp for a 7 day cruise and $200pp for a 6 day cruise. We want to go on a cruise for April 2011 and I was ready to book it, but for five people the deposit will be $1000-$1250! That is half the cruise! I can book a room at Disney and pay only one night's deposit and pay on the rest over time. Why are cruise deposits so expensive? I'd love to get it booked, but I don't have that much money now. So, for now, I have opened a savings account just for our upcoming cruise and as soon as I have enough for a deposit, I will book.

I know Carnival charges $250pp for a 7 day cruise and $200pp for a 6 day cruise. We want to go on a cruise for April 2011 and I was ready to book it, but for five people the deposit will be $1000-$1250! That is half the cruise! I can book a room at Disney and pay only one night's deposit and pay on the rest over time. Why are cruise deposits so expensive? I'd love to get it booked, but I don't have that much money now. So, for now, I have opened a savings account just for our upcoming cruise and as soon as I have enough for a deposit, I will book.

Unlike land vacations, cruise lines require deposits per person/head count. The good thing about cruise deposits is that you can book as far out as possible (18-22 months) and pay on it over time. You can't do this with land vacations when booked thru Expedia or other 3rd party agencies. I look at the deposit as less that I have to pay over time and I have no expense at the end of my trip (i.e. at resort checkout time).

Archived