Live From The Sun!

cruiserforlife

Buumer about the Baths. I didn't want to say anything before but the excursion we went on was the same way. They were definately beautiful but the water was so rough. We did get in, can't remember if we planned on snorkeling or not, but the water was so rough I got thrown into one of those big boulders. There were these little black spiney things and when I put my hand up to stop myself I got them all over in my hand.

CFL, I'll pray for good weather for you in St Thomas, all our tours there have been cancelled and it has always rained. One time we were in town when it started pouring...really pouring. By the time we found shelter we were completely soaked, clothes needed to be wrung out. Everyone scampered for the "open canopy bus things?" didn't understand that but oh well. Soon the streets were empty of tourists...except us. We figured we were soaked anyway, kind of like getting out of the pool because it's raining. We had the best time holding hands, splashing in the puddles, laughing. we walked all the way back to the ship, several people offered rides but when we declined and everyone could see we were having fun they stopped asking. they would honk and wave. One of our best cruise memories.

Last March in St Thms again...it was raining. People would not get off the ship, they all just stood in line and looked out at the downpour. I grabbed a trash bag from the stewards cart, ripped it down the middle, tied it on like a scarf and went out in the storm. "Nice hat," was the response as I walked by all the locals at the port. Little did I realize until later that both corners were sticking out like I had dog ears. Oh well none of those people will ever see me again anyway.

CFL...

Wow..sorry you're feeling so crummy... You definitely need a day in the sun with your feet in the sand! :) Your wife said it was cold on the Cat...

What would you say the average temps have been down there?

Anyway..feel better!

bdjam...

Agree with you about the Sterling Restaurant..the atmosphere looked amazing with the view of the pool etc...but DH and I have a "thing" about the cover charges..fine if they want to do that but we don't want to participate in encouraging the cruise lines to start charging extra $$$ for everything!

bdjam...

Agree with you about the Sterling Restaurant..the atmosphere looked amazing with the view of the pool etc...but DH and I have a "thing" about the cover charges..fine if they want to do that but we don't want to participate in encouraging the cruise lines to start charging extra $$$ for everything!

Point taken, but the cruise lines don’t need any encouragement to do that. Personally, I think the experience is worth the extra tariff, but to each his own.

sorry to hear of all ur bad weather....i guess we were lucky last week (1/18-28)...we had pretty good weather...i came home with a very dark tan!!! we also had rough seas for the first few days, but then things calmed down. we DID have our excitement, too, with a helicopter evacuation of a sick passenger, which forced us to miss our first port, st. vincent. we didn't care, though...as long as the passenger got to the hospital (which we later found out he was doing well after bypass surgery). enjoy your last few days!!!

nancy

Cruisin Chris:

Where in Chicago are you located? We are on the southside and very much hope you continue, you will be the next best thing to being there ourselves. Well fog should be your biggest concern I hope you have a great trip and the seas are a little calmer for you.

Hi. I'm sitting on my ted flight to fll here at ord. The fog isn't bad this am so we'll be off on time. I'm using my blackberry to post which is pretty cool. (We live in downers grove on the west side.)

I am expecting very rough seas for monday night's sailaway based on my navy wave height forcast webpage, the marine weather forecast for fll, and the weather channel. They said there is a heavy surf warning for today with twelve to twenty foot surf offshore. Well I'll keepevery one posted on our doings and the comings and goings at the port over the weekend including the qm2 tomorrow. Now if only we can push the temp over 70 today and tomorrow...

CFL..Hope you are feeling better today...

Another question..I see you're in St Thomas this morning..Can't tell from the shipcam..are you at Havensight or at the docks on the other side of downtown?

Cruisin'Chris..hope you keep up the post..Have a great trip...We've been cruising vicariously through CFL all week. We have friends onboard this week so it's been fun to read the posts. We are waiting for a phone call from them today while in St Thomas..they will be surprised to find out how much we already know about their trip!

Morning all,

Haven't been able to post since after dinner last night because the computers were down.You should have heard the grumbling from all the pax about that!

Let me recap from last night:

Decided to give up our table last night and dine in the HC instead which I think turned out to be a pretty good call.I just didn't think I'd be able to sit through a slow-paced meal without feeling miserable.Instead,had about a hundred (no joke,at least it's not effecting my appetite!) firey hot spicy jumbo shrimp and 2 bowls of chicken soup and I think that really helped.Plus,I think this thing has finally run it's course and I started feeling better late last night (after a hot tub under the stars) and some cognac.

This morning,we went to Megan's Bay after our St.John's excursion was cancelled due again to rough seas.

If your keeping score at home,so far it is 3 excursions planned,0 taken...

Megan's Bay was very rough and it rained yesterday.The bartender on the beach (an escapee from the corporate world of Boston 3 years ago!),said it actually rained inside of the open air bar and that the rain was coming in from the west.She said she has never seen it this way and said they think it was caused by a blizzard located in the northeast last week.

The locals there were complaining that it was cold (not for us mind you nor any of you guys from the east coast) but cold none the less for them.

Our driver on the way back to the ships told us the worse the weather in the states,the worse it is here and sorry to report this,but they said another front is due for Sunday but hopefully you guys who are boarding will be spared...good luck.

The temps have been in the low 70's to low 80's but overcast much of the time with occasional sun.

bdjam,

I too agree about Sterlings when it first appeared on the Sun Class ships.Our 1st. cruise aboard the Sea in 2001,we dined at Sterlings (when it was $8) and had a beautiful view overlooking the pool area.I don't know why they don't go back to that concept but I guess the demand has made it necessary to expand to half of the HC.

So to further update,thanks to all of you who helped me feel better and while this hasn't been the smoothest of sailings,it hasn't exactly been the cruise from hell either but you'd have to try pretty darn hard to experience that.We really don't like to complain about things and I really haven't heard from the complainers on this cruise either.

Got our freebie pic with the Captain last night from Juliet...looks pretty good and my wife says she looks skinny so it'll go on the wall somewhere.

'Chris,

Do continue this thread! I will enjoy reading your posts as always.

Weren't you just on the Sun not too long ago?

Love & kisses,talk to you all soon,

CFL

I just deleted what I wrote when the reply was posted right after I asked the question! You guys are fast! Thanks!

CFL, you are upbeat and kind to have a cold and lousy weather and still not complain. You are also right that it's hard to have a bad time on a cruise. But that said, it IS VERY disappointing to have your excursions cancelled and to put up w/rain and grey days when on a caribbean cruise. It's not what you dreamed about and the islands and water aren't really as pretty. The first time we saw St. Thos., it was in May following a fall hurricane that was pretty devastating. There were still FEMA tents over many of the homes in the hills, etc., though downtown was fine. It was very chilly and drizzled most of the day. I thought, "So what's the big deal about this place?" The next time I saw St. Thos. it was a sunny day w/the water glittering in the sunshine and we went to Trunk Bay, etc. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Usually you get a few sunny days and a few days of good seas on a cruise of even a wk. Sure hope things improve in March! May the rest of your trip be more enjoyable and glad you are over the worst. Keep that good attitude! :)

Thanks for all of your posts...we really enjoy them! I've been busy the last couple of days so I haven't been able to keep up with the recent posts about all of the bad weather! I sure hope it gets better...we are on the Sun in April.

Please keep up the posts Cruisin'Chris!

Debbie

I have been watching this thread daily from when it first started. As I have the sun booked for oct. 9 for 10 days, cant wait.

But just wanted to thanks for all the postings and I have so enjoyed this part of my morning. So for all you Sun cruisers, I pray you all post reviews as this makes the wait a little easier.:D

mlbcruiser,

The good thing about this cruise is that when we come back,it'll be 180 degrees from what it is now (hopefully) so what we are experiencing now few people get to see...that's one way to look at it I guess.

Just another relaxing day by the pool.The sun comes in and out behind the clouds but when it's out,it's quite warm.

Pools are beautiful and the flags are not blowing as briskly as they were yesterday when they were out of control.

Let me reiterate once again:

No one can be disappointed with the quality of food on this cruise.I hope all fellow Sun cruisers experience the same level of quality that we are enjoying.Fish & Chips,Paella,Beef Bourginon (hey,we found a word my wife can't spell!) were all quite delicious today in the HC for lunch as are the always tasty burgers & hotdogs out on the Riviera Deck.Can't say enough about the food which has come under some criticism recently.

Nothing to worry about now!

Check in with you all later.

CFL

i agree....our food last week was outstanding!!!! we had absolutely no complaints....and the service was excellent.

we were fortunate to have good, sunny (most of the time) HOT weather as well....but, we were on a cruise last year when it rained EVERY day...we never put on our bathing suits...but we still had a fabulous time.

hope it clears up soon!!!

nancy

cfl, nancyox, cruisin'chris et al:

Yes, thanks for your posts; we've enjoyed very much hearing updates from the Sun since we disembarked from our b2b on 1/18/05. Really enjoyed checking in to see how "home" is onboard! :-)

I'm in total agreement: Have to work pretty hard to have a bad cruise. We always have a great time, even during our recent b2b's 16 of 20 days with gale winds, very rocky seas, Norvovirus, cancelled excursions, etc.

And yes, we agree....food and service was excellent. I'm glad to learn about the Sterling Steakhouse opinions, although on our Sun ladt month, the cover was $15. Has it increased already to $20??!! Wow! And....I KNEW the Steakhouse used to be overlooking the pool; hubby said 'no way, never was'. I win! :-)

Looking forward to continued posts from cruisin'chris, and cfl...enjoy your last few days! We're very jealous that you're sharing St. Thos Havensight with ONLY two other ships! We had eleven total on our first b2b segment, and nine on our segment. Waaaay too many pax crowding the streets and shops.

Oh yeah, on one of our St. Thos stops last month (St. Thos was our only repeat port), it poured nearly the entire day. The shop owners said that two days prior, it had rained so hard the streets were flooded, rain up over the sidewalks, sandbagging in places. It was pretty wet our one day. We were anchored waaay out in the bay then, and over at Crown Bay the other segment.

Back from shopping (OH NO,I knew I should have stayed on the ship!) and we made what I consider a very good buy and I'm in sales.

We saw this diamond ring at Diamonds International in St.Maarten that was priced at $2995 and valued at just over $5200 in the states.My wife (being the good girl she is!) liked it alot but thought we should spend said money on new furniture for our new home purchase.After we got them down to $2150 (fun to see the supposed "salesmanship" going on (ie."let me talk to my manager,etc."),we decided not to buy.

We visited another DI store here today in St.Thomas and saw the same ring which I told the salesman we could have bought in St.Maarten for $1495 just to see if they'd bite.Figured what have I got to lose?

Sure enough,we walked out of there with the ring sized correctly for $1495.

Means I probably left some money on the table (who knows how far they would have further reduced it or what kind of profit level they have in these things) or that I just bought a ring we both love for $650 less.

Whichever way you want to look at it,my wife now owes me bigtime!

Nice weather here today,clouds have disappeared and it is warm & muggy.

ps...The Celebrity Constellation dwarfs the Sun Princess!

Check in later,

CFL

CFL... I'm jealous..on many levels....only two ships in St Thomas?!

Must have been like a ghost town....probably one reason why you got such a great deal on the ring...(jealousy attack #2). What with so few ships in port and rainy weather the week before..they probably have sales figures

(over LY) to make and were running behind!? (I used to be in sales also):)

DH and I always shop while there..then I have to pretend to disappear while he buys something that we both admired....I don't get it til my birthday or Xmas though..sometimes I forget about it completely which is really fun! We seem to do the best at Omni Int'l.

Glad you've enjoyed the food onboard..and even though your weather isn't great I'm sure you had a wonderful time. I know I'd love it!

Cold and rainy here today...no working outside for us!

Our friends from the ship never called us today..my guess is she forgot the charger for their cell phone...

I prefer the Havensight dock to the other...we've been to both and find Havensight more convenient...can shop there or easy walk downtown.

Have a good evening..

MK

Evening all,

Yah,I'd say the wife is pretty happy with the new trinket!

Used my cell phone today after I spoke with a gentleman today who commented on what great reception he was receiving and he lives in NY.I turned mine on (I have T-Mobile service) and after it searched for what seemed like forever,displayed AT&T service on the phone.Crystal clear reception and I'm sure a nice bill to follow.

Going to check out what's for dinner now which is in an hour and a half for us.

Talk to you all later,

CFL

Thank you so much cruiserforlife for all the posts and realtime updates. I look forward every day to reading them. One question my wife wanted to know even though you were not able to take many excursions, but all there long waits to get off the ship when you have to be tendered. We were on NCL Dream two years ago and when we had to be tendered we had to in line upwards of 1 1/2 hours. This is our first Princess cruise have tried RCL, Hal as well but have heard so many good things about it especially Princess Cays.

TIA

Archived