Need help on transfer from Rome airport to Civitacecchia

riata1

I am traveling on the Star Oct 17th and wondered the best way to get from Rome FCO airport to the port. I will be with my Aunt and have not travelled abroad much and am concerned about getting charged to much or not being able to figure out train system. Any recommendations would be great!

Basically there are 3 options:

1) Train -- not the easiest option, especially if you are going directly from FCO to Civitavecchia. You would have to go from FCO to Rome, then from Rome to Civitavecchia. Also you must handle your own luggage up and down steps. There are no porters. It's cheap but it can be a hassle. I would do it myself, but I generally pack compactly and have some familiarity with Rome.

2) Transfer offered by Princess -- probably the most expensive option, but takes all the worry out of the process. Rep meets you at the airport, your bags are taken, and you ride the bus to Civitavecchia.

3) Private transfer -- there are a number of private companies that are frequently recommended on these boards. Be aware that the price for 2 isn't going to be a lot cheaper than the Princess transfer. Most are in the vicinity of 110 to 140 euro for 2 persons. If you go to your roll call, you may be able to find other passengers on your sailing who would be willing to share with you (or find that someone else is looking for a share)

Are you really only arriving the day of the cruise? If you haven't made your flight arrangements yet, I strongly urge you to fly in at least one day before your cruise (and preferably 2 or 3 days so you get a chance to see Rome). Many things can happen -- as we saw just last week with a volcanic eruption of all things -- to keep you from arriving on time on your scheduled flight. It's much better to have a cushion.

Just my 0.02!

If you are uncomfortable grabbing a taxi or taking the train, I would suggest you take the Princess transfers. The price of a taxi would be quite high in comparison with the Princess transfer, and if you are not used to traveling in Europe, not sure if the train would be the best idea for you.

We arranged with others on our roll call for a private transfer back to the airport after our cruise, but with a small group, then it is less expensive than the transfers, but for two, it would not be cost effective for you. We took the Princess transfers to the port and it was very nice. They stopped at a hotel and had a continental breakfast waiting for everyone on the transfer and we also did the paperwork there so check in at the pier took only seconds.

When my wife and I went on the Crnvl Freedom back in March 2007, we let Crnvl do the transfer. Very easy, no stress, but don't pack breakables in your luggage. They stack your bags on these trucks at the airport and it's like sardines. The initial line to get on the bus from the airport to the port, took some time, but in the end it was fine.

Getting off the ship back on the bus at the end of the cruise was great. If I go back, we will use the cruise company transfers.

Enjoy!

Last year was our first cruise, so being newbies, we had Princess air and transfers and arrived in Rome on the day of the cruise.

Luckily we had no problems arriving in Rome on the day (though admittedly we had quite a bit of a shorter distance to travel than our American and Canadian friends!), and the Princess transfer was VERY easy. We were met at the baggage reclaim area, herded on to a bus and driven to the Ruby, which was a good distance away from the airport. Very efficient and stress free :)

I agree with an earlier poster, that if possible, you should arrive a few days early and enjoy Rome. We spent 4 days in Rome before our cruise last year and loved it. If you are arriving the day of the Cruise, the Princess Transfer is probably the easiest. My friend had to fly in the day of the cruise last year, and as part of her Princess Transfer, they took the passengers on a driving tour through Rome at no extra cost. I don't know if they do this very often, but she really enjoyed the tour.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip. Don't be afraid to ask for help while you are traveling. Most people are nice and willing to help.

I am traveling on the Star Oct 17th and wondered the best way to get from Rome FCO airport to the port. I will be with my Aunt and have not travelled abroad much and am concerned about getting charged to much or not being able to figure out train system. Any recommendations would be great!

If you can fly in a day or two ahead of time it will be much less stressful plus you will get to see some of Rome. You can book a pre-cruise through Princess or do it on your own. We've done it both ways and prefer to do it on our own. We met up with two other couples and shared a private transfer from the airport to our hotels in the city and then to the port two days later. It's much cheaper to share and this way we knew we weren't going to miss the ship. (There were several people who did when they flew in the day of the cruise. Bad weather caused delays and they had to catch the ship at the next port.) Go on the Roll Call for your ship and cruise and I'm sure you will find people willing to share.

I definately agree if you have the time and have not purchased your air tickets, plan on spending a few days in rome. It would be a shame to go that far and not experience the city. The history is just wonderful, and the city is full of life. I have been there about nine times and still enjoy every visit there.

Thanks everyone for the help with transfers. I was going to tack on the extra days at end of cruise so I would have to take less time off from work....but I agree that flying in on day of cruise is risky. I have not booked my flight and will probably rethink flying in same day and at least fly in 1 day ahead in case of delays! Sounds like everyone votes for Princess transfer or private with a group. How to I get to the roll call?

Thanks and Happy Cruising Everyone!!:)

Here is a link to your roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1110007

To find it without using the link, just look under forums, then Roll Calls, then select Princess (line), then Star Princess (your ship), then look for the thread with the correct date.

I see you are doing Egypt and the Aegean. That's a wonderful itinerary -- you'll have a GREAT time. You should also check out the Ports of Call forums here for ideas on what to do ashore.

Thanks Cynthia

Yes I am very excited, it will be a long, hot summer here in Houston waiting for the trip!

BTW have you ever used CRUCON Cruise Outlet to book cruises. In the past I have purchased directly from cruise line, but CruCon has some pretty good deals.

Thanks everyone for the help with transfers. I was going to tack on the extra days at end of cruise so I would have to take less time off from work....but I agree that flying in on day of cruise is risky. I have not booked my flight and will probably rethink flying in same day and at least fly in 1 day ahead in case of delays! Sounds like everyone votes for Princess transfer or private with a group. How to I get to the roll call?

Thanks and Happy Cruising Everyone!!:)

Do you enjoy sitting on a bus waiting for it to slowly fill up with passengers? Do you enjoy watching luggage being loaded into the bus ever so slowly? Do you like watching cars whiz by you on the autostrada? If the answer is "yes" to these questions, then definitely book the cruise line transfer. :D

If the answer is "no", then book a private transfer!! They are truly the only way to go! If you get enough people to go with you from the ship, it can be cost effective too. You might try RomeCabs and RomeInLimo - two companies that are used by many CCers, (me included).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived