First-time Couple on NCL Sky in June - Introverted!

beepee

First-timer here; wife and I are celebrating our third wedding anniversary with a short weekender on NCL Norwegian Sky to Nassau and Great Stirrup Cay in June.

We're a pair of introverts, not much for dancing, drinking, parties, shows, or gambling. Mostly our idea of fun involves reading on deck chairs in the sun, watching the sea, and sampling the cuisine wherever we happen to be. Shore-wise I'm hoping to get some scuba diving in -- but wife doesn't dive, so if it detracts from the vacation I can easily downgrade to some snorkeling.

(And I'm not gonna lie -- I was first attracted to the whole cruise "thing" by David Foster Wallace.)

Some observations from the process so far:

1. I grew up on the water in a tropical country. Dad had a boat, and my whole family (all 6 of us) has scuba dived from an early age. I used to scoff a bit at cruise ships, but years later I find there's something to be said for a soft bed and a buffet meal on the sea. :)

2. Our stateroom is an oceanview, large porthole. I almost pulled the trigger on an inside cabin before I realized: I love windows! I want a window! So I splurged a bit and plan to use that window to its fullest extent.

3. Stateroom is far forward on the Atlantic Deck, which I only belatedly realized is directly under the Promenade Deck. Now I wonder if passenger footsteps above us will make any noise.

4. I made the amateur mistake of booking cruise+air, thinking we were getting a good deal -- then ended up with round-trip flights costing more than the cruise itself. If I cancel the air at this point I get a $100 penalty but it looks like some flights will still have me coming out ahead -- even with baggage check-in fees MIA-to-port taxis. I'm wondering if I should cancel, bite the penalty, and go for the [slightly] cheaper flights.

5. As you may have noticed I'm a bit obsessive. Sorry.

So yeah, any tips for cruise enjoyment on NCL for a pair of DC introverts? And what's there to do in Nassau for a scuba diving husband and a kayaking wife?

map_3D_Bahamas2_Mia_Sky_247x182.gif.cdd510b908a8e159e4a54ce51ccbb3b6.gif

You might consider pricing the balcony cabins for your cruise. If you enjoy your alone time this is great way to relax and watch the sea. You can have breakfast out there one morning by ordering room service. It's a wonderful little private enclave from the rest of the ship. But, once you book a balcony it's very hard to downgrade.

Enjoy your cruise.

Jonathan

NCL is a great line for introverts b/c you are not forced to make new friends. It may happen naturally but you can also just be alone to enjoy each other.

Don't over think it. Just relax & have fun.

I am a people watcher - not much for joining in. The Sky was perfect for me - no pressure to buy anything or be involved in anything. Even the drink servers were not pesky. When I take the time to vacation I really just want to bask in the sun, enjoy cuisine that I don't have the opportunity to experience at home and just unwind. I felt that the Sky was the perfect fit for me. I was lucky enough to have a suite and even found that although I got lots of pampering, no one was intrusive. To be honest I did not enjoy Great Stirrup Cay because it was just too crowded for me - so I swam awhile, looked through the little shops, had a drink and went back to the Sky. Another upside to NCL is the freestyle dining - not having to rush to get ready to sit with people you don't want to talk to anyway. Dinner on my time with no pressure to make small talk. I felt the same way in the lounges, I loved the Outrigger - and they were sweet enough to know I liked to try different kind of martinis.

If offered a balcony stateroom - take it. That small balcony is heaven. Don't worry about hearing a lot of noise from the other floors, you really don't.

• 1 month later...

My husband and I are somewhat introverts and we have never not enjoyed a cruise (any line) because of that.

• When you go to dinner ask for a table for 2.
  • Since you have an O/V just find a quiet spot up on deck to stretch out, read, and sunbathe.
  • You can do as many or as little activities in the dailies
  • If you go to a lounge or show and don't want to be near anyone get a small table.

Trust me, being an introvert shouldn't effect your enjoyment on a cruise.

Your personalities are perfect for NCL. They do have a great dining experience and you can always find open deck space for reading. My family also enjoys playing games and the game rooms are quite as well.

If this is your first cruise, might I suggest you give a few of the shows and other activities a try. I actually think you might find it more fun than you think. I too am quite shy but on cruises I seem to open up a bit more. Try going to a show, you might actually like it. Go watch folks try to sing karaoke. You don't have to do it but you might find yourself laughing and having fun.

Its a cruise... go have a little fun. Get out of your comfort zone. You won't regret it. :):)

Reference Site:

www.*****

Your personalities are perfect for NCL. They do have a great dining experience and you can always find open deck space for reading. My family also enjoys playing games and the game rooms are quite as well.

If this is your first cruise, might I suggest you give a few of the shows and other activities a try. I actually think you might find it more fun than you think. I too am quite shy but on cruises I seem to open up a bit more. Try going to a show, you might actually like it. Go watch folks try to sing karaoke. You don't have to do it but you might find yourself laughing and having fun.

Its a cruise... go have a little fun. Get out of your comfort zone. You won't regret it. :):)

Reference Site:

www.*****

Reference Site:

www.*****

It is my understanding that buying the air from the cruise line means that if something goes wrong with your flights, the cruise line helps you get to the ship. If you are arranging your own air, many here would advise you to schedule your flight(s) to arrive in your port the afternoon before so that you have plenty of leeway for airline mishaps. That would mean a hotel stay, which might use up any savings for booking your own.

I advise trip insurance for a lot of reasons, and airline goofs are just one.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Archived