Just off Mariner Mexican Riv 4/25 to 5/2 review

Hi. I just got off the Mariner's Mexican Riviera 7 day cruise that left on Apr. 25th and wanted to post a review. I had a great time! I previously sailed on Radiance to Hawaii (14 day r/t from San Diego) so was looking forward to sailing on the larger Voyager class. I live in San Pedro so this was most convenient for me and my friends to take a cruise. I was in JS 9628 -- had upgraded from 1610 when they did the local special for a small add'l amount a couple weeks before the cruise, and the room was beautiful -- on the hump on deck 9. It had 3 chairs and a table and one of those semi-loungers with a chair and attached footrest. The room was spacious with a love seat and chaise lounge and second window. the bathroom had a tub and shower. My cabin attendant was Kevin, who was not warm and fuzzy but courteous, extremely efficient and quick, and overall very much to my satisfaction.

My friends were in 1388 -- the corner aft on deck 10, which we all really liked -- the room is more square shaped than the normal D1 and it had a huge balcony with three real loungers and a couple chairs and had a nice area under a canopy that allowed for shady laying out when it was too sunny. It was very pleasant to sit out there throughout the day and watch the wake and there was no problem with smoke or ash. The only dowside was that it got a bit bumpy near the end (the last two days) as we were speeding back towards L.A. so I ended up switching rooms with my friends because my one friend got sea sick and there was virtually no movement in my cabin -- so for those you curious about movement I definitely would book the center instead of the aft. 1388 was quite rocky the last two days but luckily I am not prone to sea sickness so I was glad to switch.

We had my time dining, which suited us extremely well. We ate on the late side anyway (around 8 or after). We were always immediately seated at our own table and the services was always fast, efficient, friendly. Like eating in a nice restaurant. The food was very good. We often opted to have an appetizer portion of an entree and the meal was always served with grace and cheerfulness. In the past I have also eaten late seating traditional and that is a diffierent experience -- you sit, relax, chat with the waiter, the head waiter comes by for a few minutes, it's more of a presentation, etc. Each has it's merits so it is up to you. We liked this on this cruise. Perhaps on a longer (14 day e.g.) the other would be nice, but my time dining was perfect on this one. I will say that if you are the kind of person who likes to meet other new people at dinner then traditional seating is probably better for you. We did eat in Chops one night -- my birthday -- and we were given a wonderful table with a spectacular moonlight view. I couldn't say more than how nice it was in every way. Food and service were impeccable. We also ate at Portofino on our last evening and it was also great -- I noticed also that many of the ship's officers including Kieron our cruise director were there that night.

The shows -- we enjoyed all of them very much -- the ice show exceeded our expectations and the evening shows were quite good (better than I remembered on the Radiance).

Ports -- we had all been to them before, but enjoyed disembarking for each again. We didn't utilize the shore excursions. One thing -- we had wanted to try zipling but didn't want to do the 5 hour tour at either P.V. or Mazatlan so we discovered that a hotel in Mazatlan has its own zipline. It's the Hotel Playa Mazatlan in the Gold Zone. For $10 you can take their zip line back and forth -- I'm sure it doesn't compare to the jungle canopy but it is long and fast enough, has no mosquitoes, and afterwards you can have a nice margarita and snack at their charming beach restaurant -- very fun and relaxing. Plus they have a wonderful air conditioned internet cafe for 1 hour for 30 pesos (less than $3). For a $10 cab fare each way to the ship it was definitely worth it. We also enjoyed Cabo and P.V.

Overall the experience was wonderful. I am so glad we got to experience the Mariner before she leaves L.A. We are very sad to see such a beautiful ship leave our port. I encourage anyone who can sail her from here to take advantage before she leaves. From what I hear there is no RCI out of L.A. scheduled at this point after Mariner leaves -- say it ain't so!

Hi,

Thank you for the review. We just booked the Mariner, after we heard she is leaving LA.

How rough was the sea on your return? I just need to be prepare for my daughter. We were very lucky, both time with Carnival and she was fine, I guess it all depends on mother nature.

Do you know what is smart casual night? And which night is that?

One more question, in PV. if ship time is 9am, what is local time will be?

Hi,

Thank you for the review. We just booked the Mariner, after we heard she is leaving LA.

How rough was the sea on your return? I just need to be prepare for my daughter. We were very lucky, both time with Carnival and she was fine, I guess it all depends on mother nature.

Do you know what is smart casual night? And which night is that?

One more question, in PV. if ship time is 9am, what is local time will be?

Hi. You will love the Mariner. It wasn't rough at all until the last two days but to be honest I didn't think it was that rough but my friend did -- for example it was not nearly as rough as the return from Hawaii! Not that many people got sea sick on this cruise as best I can tell. Kind of like a somewhat turbulent flight, but again that was only in the aft cabin all the way in the back. If you have a problem then I recommend booking in the center and taking bonine every morning.

We had NO smart casual nights -- just two formal, one casual or floral caribbean, and the rest casual. I had a black suit for formal evenings. I brought a sport jacket for "smart casual" that I never wore. Dress code was never a problem. Even when we were in Chops & Portofino, which are always "smart casual" many did not wear a jacket -- just a nice shirt.

P.V. time is two hours later than ship's time -- e.g. 9am ship time is 11am P.V. time. They recommend you always keep your watch on ship time so you don't lose track. We had to be on board by 7pm *ship* time so there was no problem. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the review....we leave next Sunday.....Might check out the Hotel in Mazatlan....Thanks for the info...

BTW.....How was the weather.....Was it Hot and Humid?.....we were in these ports on our 11 Day Radiance Cruise last December.

Love the Radiance

Thanks Again!

Mike

Thanks for the review....we leave next Sunday.....Might check out the Hotel in Mazatlan....Thanks for the info...

BTW.....How was the weather.....Was it Hot and Humid?.....we were in these ports on our 11 Day Radiance Cruise last December.

Love the Radiance

Thanks Again!

Mike

It was balmy -- 80's but not too humid -- from sunny to partly cloudy. PERFECT. You will love it. Enjoy

If you want a day pass for hotel in Mazatlan, check out El Cid. It is $ 33 for adult and $ 23 for children, with unlimited drinks and foods with the use of their facility. As you walk into the pier in Mazatlan, there are a few El Cid salesmen. If you do a time share, then everything is free including taxi to and from the hotel, it was $ 12 each way for 4 of us. We didn't do the time share, because we worry they might be too pushy. We met a couple at the hotel that were on the same cruise as us, they did the 1 hour presentation for timeshare. They said the people weren't pushy at all. After an hour, they just said no thank you and off they go to enjoy the day at the hotel.

How was the Latin band on bolaros

The Latin band at Boleros was great -- that was one of the hot spots consistently throughout the cruise. Definitely a fun spot after about 10:30pm -- nice crowd and music -- lots of dancing -- and great Caipirinhas. Service was also very friendly there. I would get a spot away from the band though as it is a bit loud.

I'm sailing on the Mariner on Sunday, so thank you for all the wonderful information!

A few questions...

Do you remember if ship time was the same as Mazatlan time, or it was an hour ahead?

What was the weather like the last two sea days? Was it really windy and chilly?

How long did it take you to disembark and go through customs in LA?

Thanks again!!!

I'm sailing on the Mariner on Sunday, so thank you for all the wonderful information!

A few questions...

Do you remember if ship time was the same as Mazatlan time, or it was an hour ahead?

What was the weather like the last two sea days? Was it really windy and chilly?

Thanks again!!!

Hi was on the 4/18 sailing

The ship's time was one hour behind Mazatlan and Cabo; in PV, it was two hours behind.

The weather on the way back was windy and chilly (and we are from New England!)

We did the 8:15 express disembarkation, we were literally off the boat by 8:30 and to our Enterprise rental at the Crowne Plaza before 9am.

A few questions...

Thanks again!!!

Mazatlan is one hour ahead of ship time.

The last two sea days were windy but not too chilly. If you find a spot out of the wind you could lay out in the sun.

We met in the lotus lounge at 8:30 am and were off the ship by 9. We did not carry off our own luggage. There was no checking of passport. After we found our luggage in the luggage hall, which was easy, we walked out, handed our customs form to the CBP agent and walked out. Very easy.

did you do self assist or not and how long from time leaving ship to a taxi/car. we have a 11:45 am flight and i am a bit concern ed

You should be ok -- if you can carry your own luggage off then I might do that -- you meet in the Schooner Bar at 8:15 or 9:15 (they tell you you can meet at either time) and walk off. If you can't handle your own luggage then go to the Guest services desk and let them know you need to get off as early as possible because you have a flight to catch. It takes but a few minutes from leaving the ship until you are out to the taxi area. Traffic to the airport on Sunday is not bad and you should be at the airport within a half hour of leaving the port.

If you want a day pass for hotel in Mazatlan, check out El Cid. It is $ 33 for adult and $ 23 for children, with unlimited drinks and foods with the use of their facility. As you walk into the pier in Mazatlan, there are a few El Cid salesmen. If you do a time share, then everything is free including taxi to and from the hotel, it was $ 12 each way for 4 of us. We didn't do the time share, because we worry they might be too pushy. We met a couple at the hotel that were on the same cruise as us, they did the 1 hour presentation for timeshare. They said the people weren't pushy at all. After an hour, they just said no thank you and off they go to enjoy the day at the hotel.

How Did You Book For The EL CID???

My friends were in 1388 -- the corner aft on deck 10,... The only downside was that it got a bit bumpy near the end (the last two days) as we were speeding back towards L.A. so I ended up switching rooms with my friends because my one friend got sea sick and there was virtually no movement in my cabin -- so for those you curious about movement I definitely would book the center instead of the aft. 1388 was quite rocky the last two days but luckily I am not prone to sea sickness so I was glad to switch.

On first cruise (25 years ago), had most forward cabin possible and had no problem with rough seas. But on last cruise (HAL repo LA-Vancouver), 1 sea day was really rough and I was among the many, many pax affected. Maybe being more prone to motion-sickness is another sign of old age?:eek:

Now, off to the health food store for some Ginger Root tablets. Thanks for a great review of the Mariner!

How Did You Book For The EL CID???

As you take a tramp from ship to the ship dock (Mazatlan dock at a ship yard), as you walk inside the dock area, you will see a bunch of El Cid's salemen trying to sell timeshare. Tell them you are not interest in the time share, but like to buy day pass. You will have to make a $ 5 deposit per person and pay the reminding balance at the hotel. Remember tell the taxi driver to take you to El Morro location. Both hotel is right next to each other. But checking in is at El Morro. You can use both facility. Which we did. If you leave your ID at the front desk, you can use their towel too. With unlimited drinks and foods for the day pass. They have 3 big pools, the other one is hidden behind the resturant looking out the beach. That pool is less crowded and very nice.

Another family did the time share, and they told us after an hour presentation, they said no thank you and that was it. Not pushy at all. If you decided to do the time share, everything is free, including the taxi ride to and from the hotel. Taxi drive was $ 12 one way for the 4 of us.

Have a safe trip!

as you take a tramp from ship to the ship dock (mazatlan dock at a ship yard), as you walk inside the dock area, you will see a bunch of el cid's salemen trying to sell timeshare. Tell them you are not interest in the time share, but like to buy day pass. You will have to make a $ 5 deposit per person and pay the reminding balance at the hotel. Remember tell the taxi driver to take you to el morro location. Both hotel is right next to each other. But checking in is at el morro. You can use both facility. Which we did. If you leave your id at the front desk, you can use their towel too. With unlimited drinks and foods for the day pass. They have 3 big pools, the other one is hidden behind the resturant looking out the beach. That pool is less crowded and very nice.

Another family did the time share, and they told us after an hour presentation, they said no thank you and that was it. Not pushy at all. If you decided to do the time share, everything is free, including the taxi ride to and from the hotel. Taxi drive was $ 12 one way for the 4 of us.

Have a safe trip!

thanks for the info. It will help us > mrbill

rwadam....really appreciate your review. our cruise is June 6. The hotel EL CID sounds like something we may want to do. No time share though. I don't remember, did you say the zip line was $10 or was it included with the price of the day pass?

Archived