Fish Food - Feeding the fish while snorkeling

Lsimon

I've seen some talk about using cheese wiz, or other fish food while snorkeling to attract the fish.

Has anyone done this?

I've also seen some comments critical of cheese wiz - and I'll have to admit it doesn't sound very natural nor environmental freindly. Anyone have any better recommendations for more natural food that is practical to serve under water to attract fish?

Feeding the fish disrupts their natural feeding, and makes them dependant upon this new source, they lose their foraging ability. Regardless of what you'd be bringing, it's not a natural food for them, and it's certainly not a natural delivery system. It also causes them to lose their fear of humans, making them easy targets for spear fishers.

I totally get the allure, but it's not good for the fish, and these are pretty delicate eco systems... I'd hate to think that my visit was doing more harm than it had to.

Feeding the fish disrupts their natural feeding, and makes them dependant upon this new source, they lose their foraging ability.

Totally agree. If you're diving in one of the more popular spots, you have to realize you're essentially visiting a zoo. If everyone who dove or snorkled brought food for the fish, they'd explode!

It doesn't matter natural/non-natural food. It's the hand-feeding that does the damage. We never bring food and go even further, not diving with dive masters who bring tuna down to attract sharks and guarantee a show.

However, we'll share a tip that, while sadly illustrating the point of this post, may help you to see more fish: If you're snorkling (it doesn't work while diving) in a popoular spot, it's likely the fish are already used to being fed by snorklers. Just wriggle your hands and fingers like you're sprinkling food in the water and it's likely the fish will come around to see if you have food.

P.S. The allure of Cheeze Wiz is probably the color (like the brightly-colored fish bait you can buy at the tackle store). I can't imagine a fish (or any other living being other than our teenage son) thinking it tastes good ;-)

Kathi & Leo

• 2 weeks later...

Latitude 20 is right. I snap my fingers and quite a few come to me. Try it.

Hawaii used to be full of butterfly and angel fish, those colorful beautiful ones. I wish you could have seen Hawaiian and Carribean waters 30 years ago before snorkeling became popular and humans started feeding them. It was paradise on earth. Now instead of red, yellow, orange fish, it's dominanted by those dull black fellows. Because they could digest and thrive on human food, so they crowded out the beautiful delicate ones. Reef fish that ingested bread, crackers, peas, etc., developed cancer, and are dangerous to eat. You have to go to Indonasia and Papau New Genea to see what Hawaii and Carribean was like before the snorkelers. So please please, don't feed them. If you have to, then at least buy special fish food from dive shop, but don't give human food.

• 1 month later...

whiles snorkleing in St. John I took some dog bisquits because I heard that was a good thing to do. DON't DO IT A big parrott fish took the whole thing out of my hand with one gulp and swallowed it whole. Almost got my finger. My sister saw the whole thing and was scared to death. Then the thing kept following me, looking for more. I swear this is true. I asked one of the beach attendents and he said it reconized my bathing suit. I am now a certified diver and learned you are not to feed the fish. I was very stupid so I hope you guys will learn from me and never feed the fish.

While it may be taboo to feed the fish, we have snorkeled in several spots where fish feeding was allowed. We brought bagels from the breakfast buffet, because they seemed to hold up better than the other breads.

The snorkeling excursions we have been on had the people who run the excursions bring food for the fish.

Sting Rays in Grand Cayman and Nassau.

We've seen many people at the private cruise islands bring breakfast for the fish.

Should you, probably not - do people bring food - all the time.

• 11 years later...

Well, now after reading all these comments, I'm torn... I really LOVE feeding the fish while snorkeling! And the best I found is dog biscuits too being it doesn't dissolve right away while giving it to them... I use to feed them with different colored biscuits that came in a box (putting a handful in ziplocks, becomes almost waterproof, to take one out at time, while snorkeling) but noticed they would like some more, over the others. I began to read the ingredients to some which contain "colorings etc." and so figured these wouldn't be a healthy choice and just bought a box of non coloring biscuits but still torn about what to feed the fish I came to google, that brought me here... and now I'm still torn... :eek:

Feeding the fish disrupts their natural feeding, and makes them dependant upon this new source, they lose their foraging ability. Regardless of what you'd be bringing, it's not a natural food for them, and it's certainly not a natural delivery system. It also causes them to lose their fear of humans, making them easy targets for spear fishers.

I totally get the allure, but it's not good for the fish, and these are pretty delicate eco systems... I'd hate to think that my visit was doing more harm than it had to.

Plus 1.

Now if we can just get them to leave the dolphins alone, use only reef-friendly sunblock as well as the ship's provided eco-balanced laundry detergent; and not sneak sand/food/etc back into. home ports where agricultural integrity is paramount (e.g., Hawaii, California), we'll have made some real progress.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Don't feed the fish!

You could, at worst, kill them. Their digestive tract is different from yours and cannot process the same foods you can. Seriously, think about it.

Plus it teaches the fish that humans provide food, so people get bit by aggressive fish. No kidding... we have seen this at beaches everywhere, people with something to feed the fish, and all of a sudden someone is bleeding.

While it may be taboo to feed the fish, we have snorkeled in several spots where fish feeding was allowed. We brought bagels from the breakfast buffet, because they seemed to hold up better than the other breads.

I think you're having some reading comprehension problems: "bad for the ecosystem" and "taboo" are not synonymous! Just because nobody stopped you, doesn't mean it's acceptable or safe. In addition, taking food off the ship is usually illegal. Greedy tour operators, who condone feeding fish to increase their profits, shouldn't be used as your moral compass! Who do you think is more biased, us or them?

Why is it, that the rest of us can observe all the tropicals on the reef, without using environmentally damaging lures? :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with others. You should never feed the fish. Another major reason is that in tropical zones it damages the nearby coral reefs. Coral reefs rely on many reef fish to eat the algae that naturally build up on them. Coral needs some algae to survive, but too much and it will kill it. If you feed the fish you throw off this balance, the fish eat less of the algae off the coral and over time the algae smothers the coral. When you see people doing this around you, that means they are doing it every day in the same area, chances are that much of the coral that is nearby is damaged and suffering because of it.

Agree with others. You should never feed the fish. Another major reason is that in tropical zones it damages the nearby coral reefs. Coral reefs rely on many reef fish to eat the algae that naturally build up on them. Coral needs some algae to survive, but too much and it will kill it. If you feed the fish you throw off this balance, the fish eat less of the algae off the coral and over time the algae smothers the coral. When you see people doing this around you, that means they are doing it every day in the same area, chances are that much of the coral that is nearby is damaged and suffering because of it.

This was a VERY good explanation, I'm glad you and all others took the time to share these details! It really helps to reason and make a wise decision of contributing to keeping a healthy ecology... It's sad to hear that the 2nd Barrier Reef of the world is in Roatan and already reading that there are some places where it's dieing, we need to take personal measures and help others "understand" why not to feed the fish so they can feel also a responsibility to NOT endangering it... Thanks Again!:D

• 1 month later...