mendenhall black bears

bottom-dragger

Cool, so any tips on hiking areas where bear spottings have a good chance, from a distance of course, Mendehall Glacier area? Will be there in July from 2pm to 10pm

Of course once we were seperated from a mother and two cubs while biking in Whiistler BC by less than 5ft, and a 10ft railroad fence. Not sure anything can ever beat that close encounter, but another one less close would be nice :D

were spotted yesterday from the visitor's center according to the juneau newspaper

There are some clips on UTube that show a mother a cub ambling through the area around the Mendenhall Visitor Center not paying attention to anyone. They were just on a mission to get to the fish.

So just do the hike around the visitors center? Or is there a specific trail/stream we should target. I know wildlife so can be hit or miss, still would be fun for the kids. They all can run faster than me so I'm not worried about them getting eaten and I taste really bad :D

I always see bears at Mendenhall. Eight years for eight years!

So just do the hike around the visitors center? Or is there a specific trail/stream we should target. I know wildlife so can be hit or miss, still would be fun for the kids.

it's seasonal, when the fish are running or berries are the food source. check with the forest service interpreters for the most current info during your visit.

www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall

With no food sources, the bears might be edgy.

My old Dad always said not to go afoot with smoked meat in your pockets. No bacon sandwiches as he believed that bears love bacon, ham etc. Also never eat and then wipe your hands on your clothes.

You don't want bears to think of you as a food source.

Alaska bears MAY run away, but no promises.

I've seen tourists walk right past bears not seeing them at all. I've also seen plenty tourists step right on fresh bear tracks. Fresh! And then follow along the same trail.

Then people say that you have to pay to see bears in Alaska!

Archived