Cabin assignment

When we booked a veranda on the Zaandam for Alaska (5/20), they were only booking guarantee (BC). Just got cabin assignment today and it is AA6172 -- right at the elevators. I'm thinking there's going to be a lot of noise being so close to a high traffic area. When I made the reservation, I asked the TA about making a request for a specific cabin (we like Navigation deck) and was told that wasn't an option. I understand the pros/cons of booking a guarantee, but in this instance I didn't have a choice. So, am I stuck with this cabin now? Has anyone had this cabin before that can offer info. on it? Thanks.

Kathy

When we booked a veranda on the Zaandam for Alaska (5/20), they were only booking guarantee (BC). Just got cabin assignment today and it is AA6172 -- right at the elevators. I'm thinking there's going to be a lot of noise being so close to a high traffic area. When I made the reservation, I asked the TA about making a request for a specific cabin (we like Navigation deck) and was told that wasn't an option. I understand the pros/cons of booking a guarantee, but in this instance I didn't have a choice. So, am I stuck with this cabin now? Has anyone had this cabin before that can offer info. on it? Thanks.

Kathy

I would think a room by the elevators would be very convenient. And you are less likely to get lost! We purposely chose a verandah room by the elevators on the Eurodam so that we could conveniently go down to the main deck where our kids' room is. Plus mid ship you are definitely going to have less motion while at sea and in my mind that is also a positive.:D

diane

Flash sales and last minute offers or segments within a longer cruise often do not offer he choice of assigned cabins. May be it is why you were not given the choice.

But you can always call your TA and ask for a downgrade to the previous guaranteed category. However when you mention 'noise' what do you have in mind. There can actually be more noise with people walking down a corridor than by the elevators. Nobody is never guaranteed complete silence on a cruise. I do not see why it would be so noisy close to the elevators which are located in a recessed area anyway. I have had to cope with next door neighbours talking to each other from the entrance of their respective cabin doors and that was noisy. Location does not make much difference... and HAL does not have a rowdy cruise as a rule !!!!

Enjoy your cruise. And Welcome to Cruise critic.

The elevators themselves are virtually silent....the conversations of those waiting are another matter, but I don't think it will be a problem. The midship location and convenience far outweigh any 'noise' problem.

We've had cabins near elevators on ships, and noise from them has never been a serious problem. If you're an early-to-bed type, you may hear some people (often a little "oiled") getting off an elevator late at night and talking/laughing loudly for a bit as they walk down the hall, but that's only a brief annoyance. Same thing as in hotels. :)

Kathy

We had a cabin next to the glass elevators once and the noise didnt bother us at all and we loved the convenience of being near the center of the ship . The issue of privacy tho, was more of a concern, when we were on our verandah........and having to have the curtain on the window by the desk closed most of the time........Other than that, its a great cabin

We had a cabin next to the elevator one cruise and I was a bit concerned beforehand that it might be noisy, but it wasn't at all. Now I deliberately choose cabins in those locations because they're so convenient.

Had a cabin by the elevators on the Westerdam and we very seldom heard anything. Once in a while you would hear the "ding" of an arriving elevator but other than that not much noise. I got the impression that people waiting for / arriving on the elevator were aware of cabins nearby and weren't yelling at each other, etc.

When we booked a veranda on the Zaandam for Alaska (5/20), they were only booking guarantee (BC). Just got cabin assignment today and it is AA6172 -- right at the elevators.
So did you actually end up with a better cabin than you paid for? Did you call your TA to see if you could be moved? I personally like being near the elevator. It's being underneath stairs that can be a problem.

We were on Amsterdam for 21 days right behind the elevator shaft. The elevator doors face each other. The cabin location was very convenient and we never had a noise issue. Hope it works for you.

We were on the Zaandam two weeks ago in 7032 - exactly one floor above your room. It is a GREAT location and we did not hear any noise from the elevator or foot traffic.

You have to understand that the middle elevator and stairs on the Zaandam are not used anywhere near as much as the other two sets. One reason is that level 4 deck does not go all the way through the ship, and this is the level that houses the larger of the two main dining rooms, so folks take the aft elevators to it.

Do not give up this cabin! The mid-ship location is great, with easy access to all the areas of the ship. Noise will not be a problem. Another nice thing is that you have cabins above you, which make it quieter.

Enjoy

DaveOKC

OHHH LUCKY U... i cant wait for your post Ill be sailing Eurodam in Oct.Booked in Jan lol i want to hear all about your trip. I had a chance 2 board Eurodam here in boston for a lunchon a few months ago ,what a beautiful ship BON VOYAGE

Archived