cell phones in Alaska

arizgirl

The last few cell phones I've had have all indicated the cell service provided when I turned them on. With my iPhone, there is a small amount of room on the upper left hand corner for this.

I've had my Motorola phone for more than 4 years. I only need it for PHONE calls so it doesn't have other capabilities (texting is blocked by Verizon at our request). I do not think it shows any other cell service on the screen other than 'roaming' and since most roaming is covered by our nationwide plan, that is probably why we didn't realize our Miami port call was roaming on ship towers with an additional charge.

Thanks to all who replied to my question about what you see on your phone re roaming. Looks like there is no one answer so "cruisers beware" may be the best option BTW, Verizon suggested that I update the roaming part of the software so that my phone would pick up all available towers (or something like that). I did the update so hope that will help out. Guess you are supposed to update every few months...who knew! Oops, maybe its in the owners' manual.

Thanks for starting the post-it is what prompted me to call Verizon which led to learning about the upating "228" process. Happy cruising all.

Does ATT have a similar method to use to update tower info?

I appreciate all the responses and the tangents my post took on!

Verizon told me to hit *228 every 30 days to update the available towers.

I don't remember very often but yes, we're even supposed to do it at home. I think I actually did remember to do it in Alaska last year so hopefully will remember this year, too (my problem is I always forget what the code to dial is)

I don't remember very often but yes, we're even supposed to do it at home. I think I actually did remember to do it in Alaska last year so hopefully will remember this year, too (my problem is I always forget what the code to dial is)

In your phone contacts, put Verizon and put 228 as the phone number. Then you'll always have the correct update number.

Does ATT have a similar method to use to update tower info?

Not a similar method. You are just supposed to turn your phone off and back on occasionally and that is supposed to update it. If for some reason you think that your phone isn't updated, you call customer service and have them check; if it's not, they can help you.

I'm glad you asked this...I haven't turned my phone off for a long time (before my Iphone, I never remembered to turn my phone on...now I have the opposite problem!)

Oddest thing. Always before my SIL's ATT phone worked in Alaska and my T-Mobile didn't. Last year it was the reverse. I don't know what was wrong with hers since some of you obviously used yours. I do know that in Vancouver my phone said "Rogers" (which is their cable company), so I assume I was using Rogers' tower. I love my little $10/year phone!

Oddest thing. Always before my SIL's ATT phone worked in Alaska and my T-Mobile didn't. Last year it was the reverse. I don't know what was wrong with hers since some of you obviously used yours. I do know that in Vancouver my phone said "Rogers" (which is their cable company), so I assume I was using Rogers' tower. I love my little $10/year phone!

Ok, Thanks all for the info.

Woody

We just got our Verizon Droid phones last week. We will be going to Alaska the first week in Aug.

We have just learned about using the phone as a modem to hook up our coputers to receive the internet, so we thought we might give it a try since the ship's connect charges are high.

We wanted to be able to send pictures to family during our cruise.

Has anyone tried this during a cruise?

The posting has been great for phone charges, now up comes the question about data (which is a separate charge on the phoned, and unlimited data).

We are very excited about this cruise!

We have just learned about using the phone as a modem to hook up our coputers to receive the internet, so we thought we might give it a try since the ship's connect charges are high.

If you mean while you are in port, that's a good idea, but if at sea, all the plan generate extra charges, check out these from the verizonwireless site

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Cruise_Ships/index.html

Cruise Ship Rates

Voice Roaming Rate:

$2.49 per minute

Global Email

Monthly Rate:

$69.99/mo or $64.99/mo

(w/ Voice Plan) for Unlimited email

GlobalAccess

Pay Per Use Rate:

$0.02/KB ($20.48/MB)

Text Messaging Rates:

$0.50/address sent

$0.05/message received

Global Email

Pay Per Use Rate:

$0.02/KB ($20.48/MB)

If you mean while you are in port, that's a good idea, but if at sea, all the plan generate extra charges, check out these from the verizonwireless site

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Cruise_Ships/index.html

Cruise Ship Rates

Voice Roaming Rate:

$2.49 per minute

Global Email

Monthly Rate:

$69.99/mo or $64.99/mo

(w/ Voice Plan) for Unlimited email

GlobalAccess

Pay Per Use Rate:

$0.02/KB ($20.48/MB)

Text Messaging Rates:

$0.50/address sent

$0.05/message received

Global Email

Pay Per Use Rate:

$0.02/KB ($20.48/MB)

Now I know how to set my phone and the rates.:D

Woody

Now I know how to set my phone and the rates.:D

Woody

Do not use your Verizon Droid phone ON THE SHIP as a modem to connect your laptop to the internet. The call is handled as a dial up internet connection via the ship tower. Your charges could be astronomical.

Archived