New Orleans: Drury vs. Holiday Inn Downtown/Superdome

firefly333

I was comparing Drury to Holiday Inn (downtown)

As far as I know, these are the only two hotels Im aware of that give FREE cruise parking with your hotel stay.

Holiday Inn didnt mention a parking fee, but when they emailed my booking, the small print said $19.99 parking ...didnt show on my receipt this morning. (I was willing to pay it, so didnt question it even though they never said it during booking).

Heck of a deal.

Drury, great breakfast, including waffles you make, I forget what the diced ham went on, there was something in the breakfast line, sausage I think with eggs.

Happy hour with 3 knock 'em dead mixed drinks, beer or wine, and hot finger foods, chicken fingers, egg rolls etc

Grogeous room we had, not sure they are all that nice, but it was wow to me.

Holiday Inn downtown, free shuttle takes you anywhere in the area, just for the price of a tip.

pillowtop mattresses.

Both hotels gave us both 4 pillows and Holiday Inn had one pillow on each bed marked hard and one marked soft, plus two other fluffy pillows, but not as big as the ones at Drury.

Drury is closer to the port, walking if you really wanted to, but the cobblestones make it hard to pull suitcases over part of the walk.

Holiday Inn with their free shuttle will drop us off at the port, 10 am. 11 am, Noon, on the hour shuttle leaves.

Holiday Inn cheaper, didnt charge me to park.

Holiday Inn, business center has free computers to use (which is where I am now :) )

There are two cruise packages for Holiday Inn, one has free breakfast included from the dining room, parking $5 a day, the other no breakfast but free parking, take your pick.

I do think the street behind this Holiday Inn looks iffy. A large tall building looks vacant, and some other small ones, so that might be the reason for the free shuttle they recommend you take at night especially.

Overall so Drury is more expensive, plus you pay for a one night parking charge on top of the hotel charge. Holiday Inn your car is in a garage not out in the open and more secure. We loved Drury, but Holiday Inn is nice too.

Just some side by side comparisons in case someone else is trying to decide which hotel. Drury was $50.00 more plus the parking fee this time, so Holiday Inn won hands down.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fire,

Hubby and I cancelled both of our cruises with the Crazies due to circumstances with my Mom and some other reasons, but we have an air credit with Southwest and are thinking of flying into NOLA and doing the Triumph in December....and we are thinking that we want to stay at the Drury pre-cruise. What I was wondering is if you know if they have a airport shuttle to the hotel or not...I realize you drive, but thought maybe you noticed if they had a shuttle or not...looked at their website, but can't find anything....I will probably just need to call them and see.

Also, how far is it to walk to say the French quarter and around New Orleans....I know some said the Charles Street Trolley can be caught right outside of the hotel..is that right?

I know lots of questions, and the sad thing is me and hubby were in NOLA a few years back, but can't remember details about the downtown areas...

thanks Fire for any info you may have....:)

Hi Fire,

Hubby and I cancelled both of our cruises with the Crazies due to circumstances with my Mom and some other reasons, but we have an air credit with Southwest and are thinking of flying into NOLA and doing the Triumph in December....and we are thinking that we want to stay at the Drury pre-cruise. What I was wondering is if you know if they have a airport shuttle to the hotel or not...I realize you drive, but thought maybe you noticed if they had a shuttle or not...looked at their website, but can't find anything....I will probably just need to call them and see.

Also, how far is it to walk to say the French quarter and around New Orleans....I know some said the Charles Street Trolley can be caught right outside of the hotel..is that right?

I know lots of questions, and the sad thing is me and hubby were in NOLA a few years back, but can't remember details about the downtown areas...

thanks Fire for any info you may have....:)

We stayed at the Drury.

It is on the corner of Poydras and Carondolet.

Carondolet turns into Bourbon St.when you cross Canal St.

It's about a 2 minute walk to Canal St. and you are at the French Quarter.

Walking it can talk a while depending on how much

you stop and look and how much you want to see.

(just remember, on Bourbon St, you might see more than you want to see):eek:

Hi Fire,

Hubby and I cancelled both of our cruises with the Crazies due to circumstances ..:)

I know they had some kind of shuttle going to places, but I never got real clear about it, so you might want to call.

Its about 3 - 5 blocks over to French Qtr at least, not too far to walk.

We walked to the port, but its kind of a mess as you have read with suitcases, and my sister doesnt do stairs well and we got stuck up that stairway at the port and had to get down, so we took a taxi back. (from both hotels!!!).

Im sorry you had to cancel your Crazies Cruise. Im still going on Crazies Too, but not Too and a half, because I already had Ecstasy a week or so before their cruise.

I think you will love Drury. Its nicer I hear than in other cities.

Hi conchead :D

PS Yes there was a trolley along the side street by Drury ... but I dont know the name of the trolley stop. Im not real good with New Orleans.

We stayed at the Drury.

It is on the corner of Poydras and Carondolet.

Carondolet turns into Bourbon St.when you cross Canal St.

It's about a 2 minute walk to Canal St. and you are at the French Quarter.

Walking it can talk a while depending on how much

you stop and look and how much you want to see.

(just remember, on Bourbon St, you might see more than you want to see):eek:

I know they had some kind of shuttle going to places, but I never got real clear about it, so you might want to call.

Its about 3 - 5 blocks over to French Qtr at least, not too far to walk.

We walked to the port, but its kind of a mess as you have read with suitcases, and my sister doesnt do stairs well and we got stuck up that stairway at the port and had to get down, so we took a taxi back. (from both hotels!!!).

Im sorry you had to cancel your Crazies Cruise. Im still going on Crazies Too, but not Too and a half, because I already had Ecstasy a week or so before their cruise.

I think you will love Drury. Its nicer I hear than in other cities.

Hi conchead :D

PS Yes there was a trolley along the side street by Drury ... but I dont know the name of the trolley stop. Im not real good with New Orleans.

Hi Conch and Fire...and Thanks to both of you for your help....I am so glad you gave me the name of the cross road with Poydras, Conch..now I can place it on my visitors map I ordered for Nola...it is so weird...we were in Nola about 5 years ago and did the whold French Quarter thingy and Bourbon Street (at night:eek:, and YES you definitley see more than you sometimes care to see...LOL ), but we were with relatives that live in Raceland and they knew their way around so I didn't think to really watch where we were or how we got there and we parked at Harrah's and walked everywhere from there and I just can't seem to remember much, but it is slowly coming together again....and I called Drury...no shuttles and they informed me that taxis are the way to go to and from the airport and also the port..so I have already put back my transportation funds, plus parking in San antonio at the airport for 9 days...eeek!!!!;)

Thanks again for all the help...:)

I hope you get a nice high room like we did at Drury. Last time Drury was so much more than Holiday Inn, thats why I tried out Holiday Inn, to save about $50.

From Drury's you can walk to mother's, its right down the street, toward the port, not toward French Qtr. We ate there because folks told us to. Its ala cart. I think the bowl of beans and rice was $5.95 and had lots of ham in it, lots better than I expected. And I ordered a cup of seafood whatever, it was very good too. Not cheap, but might be cheaper than a regular meal if you arent real hungry and sharing.

I hope you get a nice high room like we did at Drury. Last time Drury was so much more than Holiday Inn, thats why I tried out Holiday Inn, to save about $50.

From Drury's you can walk to mother's, its right down the street, toward the port, not toward French Qtr. We ate there because folks told us to. Its ala cart. I think the bowl of beans and rice was $5.95 and had lots of ham in it, lots better than I expected. And I ordered a cup of seafood whatever, it was very good too. Not cheap, but might be cheaper than a regular meal if you arent real hungry and sharing.

thanks for info Fire....I have heard a lot about Mother's on here and since it is close I may do that....not really into looking for all the creole and cajun food places, because I am cajun and we eat it a lot at home...so may just do Mothers because it is close and easy...my only thing is I HAVE to have some Cafe Du Monde...I make the beignets here at home sometimes, but mine just never taste as good as theirs...maybe it is the fact I don't have the atmosphere and plus I had to make them...LOL

I will be leaving in 3 days headed to NOL via Amtrak. We are staying at Holiday Inn Superdome, rate is $99 + tax. We get free breakfast and they will provide complimentary shuttle service to the pier. Dont know what to expect of the room yet but I hear it is nice.:)

• 1 month later...

Hi firefly,

Would you do Holiday Inn again or go back to Drury?

Were you hesitant about leavin your car at HI w/ the iffy area or were you as comfortable as leaving at Drury?

Did you use HI free shuttle to port?

How much for taxi back to HI?

Sorry for all the questions. We have only stayed at Drury. I feel like the price w/ parking has gotten a little outta hand. We are booked for a cruise next year outta NOLA and I think we will be done there for awhile. lol We too love you Galveston port!

Thanks for any help!

Kat

• 3 weeks later...
Hi firefly,

Were you hesitant about leavin your car at HI w/ the iffy area or were you as comfortable as leaving at Drury?

Sorry for all the questions. We have only stayed at Drury. I feel like the price w/ parking has gotten a little outta hand. We are booked for a cruise next year outta NOLA and I think we will be done there for awhile. lol We too love you Galveston port!

Thanks for any help!

Kat

For this coming March, the Holiday Inn Superdome price was $91, but that did not include parking. They told me that the special cruise rate that included parking for 7 days while on the cruise was $149. Drury Inn was $115 for their Cruise rate with $35 for parking. Pretty much a wash price wise, except for the HI shuttle being free to the port with no free transportation at Drury. We are thinking that maybe DH will drive us and the luggage to the port from the Drury and then park at the Drury and walk back to the port if the weather is nice.

alwalaska, when we have stayed at the Drury we always do the drop off and one person returns, parks and meets us back at the port too. Cab charged a flat $7. per person each time. The week we are going this time has things going on in NOLA and the Drury is $209.+ parking. :eek: Not going to happen! Got HI Superdome for $125. total. Staying two nights at HI for what one would be at Drury. :) We really enjoy Drury and will miss her this time.

Happy room hunting!

Kat

alwalaska, when we have stayed at the Drury we always do the drop off and one person returns, parks and meets us back at the port too. Cab charged a flat $7. per person each time. The week we are going this time has things going on in NOLA and the Drury is $209.+ parking. :eek: Not going to happen! Got HI Superdome for $125. total. Staying two nights at HI for what one would be at Drury. :) We really enjoy Drury and will miss her this time.

Happy room hunting!

Kat

Thanks for all the info. We ended up with the Drury and I am happy with my decision. $209 would kill me. Eeek. I thought the week we were there was bad. The funny thing is, HI Superdome is more expensive our week in March if we want parking. I usually like Springhill Suites and it was $309 plus parking for the night we will be there - Yeah Right - even Disney hotels aren't that much.:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the info. We ended up with the Drury and I am happy with my decision. $209 would kill me. Eeek. I thought the week we were there was bad. The funny thing is, HI Superdome is more expensive our week in March if we want parking. I usually like Springhill Suites and it was $309 plus parking for the night we will be there - Yeah Right - even Disney hotels aren't that much.:rolleyes:

Sounds about right for New Orleans in March.

I stayed in that Holiday Inn a few times about 10 years ago and had no problem with it. I've had good experiences with the Drury. I think you'll like it.

If you're not renting a car, there is a shared van service from the airport that's fairly cheap. You do stop all over creation, though, so it might take an hour to get to your hotel if they make you their last stop. But it's a cheap way to get to the airport.

Sounds about right for New Orleans in March.

I stayed in that Holiday Inn a few times about 10 years ago and had no problem with it. I've had good experiences with the Drury. I think you'll like it.

If you're not renting a car, there is a shared van service from the airport that's fairly cheap. You do stop all over creation, though, so it might take an hour to get to your hotel if they make you their last stop. But it's a cheap way to get to the airport.

Silly me thought that since we were a couple of weeks after Mardi Gras we would be OK price wise. I didn't realize the whole month was busy.

We are driving to New Orleans, but I am sure the van service info will help someone. I don't think I would want to rent a car there with the parking pricing.

• 4 weeks later...

Happy room hunting!

Kat

I got the same great deal! Fun, Fun 44 has all the best answers. That's another reason we like traveling with the two of you. NOLA here we come!

I got the same great deal! Fun, Fun 44 has all the best answers. That's another reason we like traveling with the two of you. NOLA here we come!

Got shop around and work it! lol The better the prices the more we can go.....whoo-hoooo here we come NOLA! Won't be long now Roberto!

Hi firefly,

Thanks for any help!

Kat

We will be there next Dec 16th, and HI Superdome was $139 including parking but Drury gave us a TA rate of $89 plus $35 to park... so its back to Drury.

Holiday Inn has a parking garage, vs outside with Drury, but I park outside at home too. If anything Holiday Inn was more secure for parking than Drury.

We did use the free shuttle to the port from HI. He would have come and picked us up on the main road if we had called him. I forgot to get his card to call.

Archived