Worried about this volcanic Ash Cloud

Winds changing direction apparently which could result in British Airspace being closed again by Tomorrow.

I am going to pray today for the first time in years. Have waited so long for this cruise on Explorer and really need a break from work. Plus I can't afford to lose £3000.

Winds changing direction apparently which could result in British Airspace being closed again by Tomorrow.

I am going to pray today for the first time in years. Have waited so long for this cruise on Explorer and really need a break from work. Plus I can't afford to lose £3000.

Can you get out today?

No. I've already paid out £1500 for flights on Wednesday anyway.

Because of the circumstances they may let you switch to earlier with no penalties. Much like they do when a snow storm is approaching. If you have the flexibility it wouldn't hurt to call and ask or check the website as many carriers will post their policy as an alert there.

Because of the circumstances they may let you switch to earlier with no penalties. Much like they do when a snow storm is approaching. If you have the flexibility it wouldn't hurt to call and ask or check the website as many carriers will post their policy as an alert there.

At present there are no "circumstances" just a potential threat so they wont do anything to help yet. As it stands the flights are still scheduled for Wednesday.

I Have contacted my Travel Agent and they have said that Virgin will allow me to re-book for a later date though and that they would hope RCI would be understanding and accommodating so I suppose that's a bit of peace of mind.

At the moment the airports of Santiago, Vigo and La Coruna in Spain and Milan, Bologna and Genua in Italy are closed. Flights to and from the Americas are suffering delays because they have to take longer routes to avoid the ash clouds. The Uk is not affected at the moment according to the information I have.

We are due to fly to the US from Dublin on Thursday. There are some restrictions on Irish airports today, but who knows what might happen between now & Thursday?? :confused:

I plan to read the very small print in my travel insurance policy tonight. The other option open to us if Irish airports are closed is to travel across to the UK & fly from there if flights are operating, but we won't know until nearer the time. Option B is to reschedule the whole thing & re-book for later in the year, if the insurance will pay.

I guess we just have to play the waiting game for the next 36 hours.........

We are due to fly to the US from Dublin on Thursday. There are some restrictions on Irish airports today, but who knows what might happen between now & Thursday?? :confused:

I plan to read the very small print in my travel insurance policy tonight. The other option open to us if Irish airports are closed is to travel across to the UK & fly from there if flights are operating, but we won't know until nearer the time. Option B is to reschedule the whole thing & re-book for later in the year, if the insurance will pay.

Flights from Newark went out last night to Dublin and are on schedule for today.

.......and I daren't look at the small print in my travel insurance to be honest. It's not going to change a thing.

I you are flying on European Airline or a airline flying in or out of the European Union you are covered by the airline, If your flight is cancelled you can rebook or get a full refund.

I didn't know that to be honest so thank you.

Now let's just hope if it IS cancelled that good old RCI offer a FULL refund ;)

Lets hope RCCL will.

If you booked the cruise, cruise care and air with them they will give you a 100% refund to be used towards a future cruise.

If you booked the cruise and cruise care with RC they will give you 75% back in the form of a future cruise certificate.

If you booked your cruise with a TA they will give you 50% back to be used towards a future cruise.

This is what they offered us when we could not go due to the ash cloud.

Lets hope RCCL will.

If you booked the cruise, cruise care and air with them they will give you a 100% refund to be used towards a future cruise.

If you booked the cruise and cruise care with RC they will give you 75% back in the form of a future cruise certificate.

If you booked your cruise with a TA they will give you 50% back to be used towards a future cruise.

50% !!!! ?????

That would leave a bad taste in the mouth but I suppose better than nothing. Hopefully my Insurers would reimburse.

Anyway, I have no decided I need to just think positive and focus on getting on that plane on Wednesday afternoon.

Anyway, I have no decided I need to just think positive and focus on getting on that plane on Wednesday afternoon.

That's all we can do. What sort of window do you have between landing in the US & boarding the ship? Hope it's not too tight for you.

We are scheduled to get to Florida Thursday afternoon & get on the ship Sunday, so there's a bit of flexibility to allow us to catch a later flight if necessary.

Look up EC Regulation No 261/2004 - that's the legislation that the airlines have to abide by in case of cancellation/delay etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_261/2004

That's all we can do. What sort of window do you have between landing in the US & boarding the ship? Hope it's not too tight for you.

We are scheduled to get to Florida Thursday afternoon & get on the ship Sunday, so there's a bit of flexibility to allow us to catch a later flight if necessary.

Look up EC Regulation No 261/2004 - that's the legislation that the airlines have to abide by in case of cancellation/delay etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_261/2004

We land around 7PM Weds and set sail about 6PM on Thurs so plenty of time assuming we could get delayed around a few hours.

Lets hope RCCL will.

The OP is from the UK and that is not the current policy here.

Here - if you booked cruise and air with RCI then you get a full refund - as cash not as future cruise credit.

If you booked cruise only then you have to claim via your insurance company as it is treated as a cancellation if you don't show.

Hi,

We are playing the waiting game as well, hopefully flying to Venice on Thurs to join Splendour on Saturday. We booked cruise and air separately, if the airline doesn't travel we will get a refund on that front. Our insurance policy will not cover the cruise as they are treating it as an "Act of God". The latest news tonight is that the wind direction has changed and blowing the winds out over the Atlantic and not towards Europe, fingers crosses it stays like that for the rest of the week.

Not sure how that affects those heading west but I have heard that transatlantic flights are being rerouted around the ash...

They are closing and opening airports in Europe on and off really at the moment. Yesterday afternoon, Barcelona, Munich and Luxembourg were suddenly closed, but after a few hours they were reopened again. Although there are some problems, it does not look like it is a prolongued affair this time.

Even though the news says that the ash cloud is going to cover all of central Spain today, for now all of the Spanish airports are open and running today, Monday.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Thanks for this information that puts our minds at rest for now.

Kind Regards

Mike

.......and I daren't look at the small print in my travel insurance to be honest. It's not going to change a thing.

Do have a look Mike; I just read mine & it doesn't mention "acts of god" or natural disaster in the exclusions - only that it will not pay out claims arising from war, terrorism, civil unrest etc

Do have a look Mike; I just read mine & it doesn't mention "acts of god" or natural disaster in the exclusions - only that it will not pay out claims arising from war, terrorism, civil unrest etc

I don't have mine to hand. Ours is basically a standard policy that we get as part of our Lloyds TSB Gold Account so not sure if it's worth the paper it's written on.

What will be will be.

We used to have one of those Lloyds TSB premier accounts when we lived in the UK, but never had to use the travel insurance, so don't know if it's any good. IIRC it was an OK policy - we cancelled our normal travel insurance & just had that one.

I found the UK & ROI booking conditions on the Royal Caribbean website - cancel within 5 days of sailing & it's 100% cancellation charge! :eek:

1.10 If I have to cancel my cruise holiday, will I receive a refund?

If you or anybody travelling with you wishes to cancel either your/their holiday, you must contact us (if booking direct) or your travel agent and give notice in writing using registered mail or e-mail to ensure safe receipt of the cancellation letter. The holiday will only be cancelled on the date we receive the written notice of cancellation. Generally if you cancel you will have to pay the cancellation charges set out below:

5 days or less 100%

6 to 14 days 90%

15 - 28 days 75%

29 - 56 days 50%

57 days or more Deposit only (£150 per person)

However today I am feeling positive that there will be no issues with transatlantic flights other than maybe a few hours delay.

Archived