When is Rhapsody of the Seas going to be refurbished

Just curious after reading some threads on C/C that Rhapsody is looking a bit tired, how often do ships get refurbished? We are going on Rhapsody next year for the first time.

Hi ,

it was last refurbished in May 2007....Dont worry it will be better than any of the other ships you have sailed on..

Col

Just curious after reading some threads on C/C that Rhapsody is looking a bit tired, how often do ships get refurbished? We are going on Rhapsody next year for the first time.

According to Royal Carribean website Rhapsody is going to drydock in Sydney on 16/02/2012 for 14 days,assume that is for refurb?

According to Royal Carribean website Rhapsody is going to drydock in Sydney on 16/02/2012 for 14 days,assume that is for refurb?

That's a long time to be in drydock in the middle of it's cruise season here. Maybe it's cheaper to do a refurb here than it is in the USA.

Jillybean:)

Dam, thats the day we get back off her....As Maxwell Smart said `missed by that much` :p

No - 2012 Jas, so no need to feel hard done by, missing out by a day :)

Rhapsody is still beautiful, other than the old style tv's I had no complaints.

D`oh. I knew that, was just making sure you did :rolleyes: hehe. Thats ok then. Wouldnt want to wait that long before i cruised again. I love the fondness of which people speak for her on here. We are very excited! :)

ROS is one of the better cruise ships to sail the Australian water, but in the US market it is one of the smaller ships, not as modern or inovative due to its 12 year of sevice. American has a lot of modern cruise ships sailing out of many ports around the United States. very hard to be considered the best in such a competitive market. I am just glad that we a bit of a choice these days, hower limited it may be.

• 8 months later...

I had a flat screen TV :p (JS Aft 8588)

Some areas are a little tired.....but not in a way that detracts from anything IMO....let's face it, they're bobbing around in salt water 24/7, but they're always doing things to pretty her up :D

Just extending the question a little....

Does anyone know how often a ship goes into drydock?

I have read that sometimes they have a dry dock and sometimes a wet dock.

Whats the difference between a drydock and a re furbishment?

Does anyone know how often a ship goes into drydock?

I can’t comment on all the ships, but I read some where ether on one of the cruise forums or on Facebook (This may just for P&O ships), but some one said every 3 - 4 years.

I have read that sometimes they have a dry dock and sometimes a wet dock.

I think that depends on where the ship is and if there is a Dry Dock available, and what needs to be done for example when the Pacific Sun had engine problems she was wet docked here in Auckland.

Whats the difference between a drydock and a re furbishment?

I would guess when ships just does a Dry dock, it manly means in Pacific Sun case go in to be inspected or they want to repaint the hall or do work on the propeller etc.... And when ships go in to get re furbishment that means they replace carpets, seats flooring etc... and put new thing in like Big Screens or in the Grand Princess case rumours have it her sky walker is going to get removed.

I have heard rumors that ROTS is going into drydock on a scheduled 14th Feb, 2012, can anyone please confirm this, and do they know how long these refurbs. take.

Pretty much - this particular refurb will be for 2 weeks. It's rare for them to be much longer unless they're doing major engineering work.

Wouldn't say they really need much time to snazzy the rhapsody up, as the main thing that's looking tired is the carpet which is a bit worn and torn in some places,could probably be replaced on the go really.

I wouldn't worry anyway, the condition of the carpet etc won't affect the great time you have on the Rhapsody at all :)

• 4 months later...
Pretty much - this particular refurb will be for 2 weeks. It's rare for them to be much longer unless they're doing major engineering work.

Well I've been trying to book ROTS's March 10th 2012, 11 night Best of Austraila cruis for the past 3 weeks and I am told by RCI that they are not taking any bookings at the moment due to "inventory maintenace"

March 10th would be 10 days after the scheduled 2 weeks dry dock.

Any thoughts on why they wouldn't be taking any reservations?

It's not due to a dry dock, but they pulled Rhapsody sailings post 6/2/12 and Radiance for the following season from their schedule very soon after releasing next season's cruises.

This usually means they're re-evaluating (hence "inventory maintenance"). Sometimes things come back with no/minimal changes, and sometimes more substantial changes happen.

The Rhapsody is a beautiful ship. So far my favourite although I've only travelled on her and the Pacific Dawn, so that recommendation holds little weight lol. ;)

There wasn't too much that needed refurbishing when I sailed on her late last year. As others have mentioned, maybe some of the carpeted areas, but if this sort of thing bothers you then perhaps some of your favourite hobbies are also watching paint dry or the grass grow... :D

It's a fantastic ship and you'll have a great time. :)

Ooops!! I just realised you've already cruised on Rhapsody...should've checked the dates before replying lol!! :eek:

How did you go? You must've enjoyed her since I noticed you've booked another cruise on her. ;):)

Well I've been trying to book ROTS's March 10th 2012, 11 night Best of Austraila cruis for the past 3 weeks and I am told by RCI that they are not taking any bookings at the moment due to "inventory maintenace"

I have heard they have definitely cancelled the 1st of March 2012 sailing now:eek: - the refurb is going to be more extensive than first thought therefore looks like two if not three cruises will be cancelled. Would imagine 10th March sailing wont go ahead and possibly further ones. There will be lots of unhappy bunnies! Debbie

Well been on the Rhapsody of the Seas and I think she is beautiful, only comment prob change the TV's to flat LCD's. We did'nt have the best of weather but being on the Rhapsody did'nt effect our holiday at all, have already rebooked a holiday on her for next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stevie, we are booked on this ship 2nd April 2012 and have noticed they have pulled off from the 16th February right through to the 13th April, hoping all o.k would be really dissapointed if they cancelled this cruise, and really want to know a.s.a.p. soas to make alternative arrangements. They seem to be taking their time deciding what to do?:(

Hi we have booked a cruise on Rhapsody of the Seas 2nd April 2012, and like you have noticed all cruises from 16th February through to 13th April have been taken off, would like to know what this "inventory maintenance" would not be happy if cruise did not go ahead, as there have been some other specials, so do I take the chance and stay with booking or book something else?

Archived