Trinkets for Cruise members

Our roll call for our Dream cruise had bracelets made. They were cute, rubber red, white and blue and said Dream with the date on them. We all got extra because the first order came in wrong, nothing you'd really notice, Dream was printed in the wrong font. So everyone said the crew will really like them too. So I gave one to our room steward when I gave her an extra tip and she didn't seem to care. I also gave one to each of the waiters and one of them wore it but it was the money that they really liked. So even though some people said the crew was really excited about the bracelets I didn't get that feeling.

They were a nice way for people on the roll call to identify each other, my husband wore his, which surprised me, but he hasn't worn it since. I am sure some of the crew liked them but I know they liked the money better.

The crew quarters are so tight, I personally wouldn't be giving them anythign that would further clutter their small living spaces. Cash or maybe some fun snacks (I've seen crew members getting back onboard with things like Snickers bars and other candybars) would be about all I'd consider.

I would certainly have to agree with those who say forget the "trinkets", just give money....but.....

I always bring a flashing martini glass that changes colors (yes, cheezy, but it makes me feel festive) on my cruises. On my roll call last year, I mentioned it and many others wanted me to order one for them. I ended up bringing many on board to give to other CC members. I had about 4 left. After a couple of nights of bringing them to dinner, the waiters and asst. waiters were all around asking about the glass and "admiring" it. I ended up giving one to my waiter. Soon after, I noticed I had all sorts of attention from the other waiters, mentioning that if I had any "extras", they would sure like one. I ended up giving them all away to crew members who were clearly wanting them. I know this is not the norm, but sometimes very unique items might be fun to give.

I will still just give the universally appreciated gift, $$$$$$$.

Amy

I would certainly have to agree with those who say forget the "trinkets", just give money....but.....

I always bring a flashing martini glass that changes colors (yes, cheezy, but it makes me feel festive) on my cruises. On my roll call last year, I mentioned it and many others wanted me to order one for them. I ended up bringing many on board to give to other CC members. I had about 4 left. After a couple of nights of bringing them to dinner, the waiters and asst. waiters were all around asking about the glass and "admiring" it. I ended up giving one to my waiter. Soon after, I noticed I had all sorts of attention from the other waiters, mentioning that if I had any "extras", they would sure like one. I ended up giving them all away to crew members who were clearly wanting them. I know this is not the norm, but sometimes very unique items might be fun to give.

I will still just give the universally appreciated gift, $$$$$$$.

Amy

Yeah, but that's different. The crew showed a marked interest in owning one.

So, we can safely assume that those who like to give trinkets to service personnel do this sort of "tipping" with cabbies, waitresses (food and cocktail), bartenders, hairdressers, barbers, doormen, valet parking, etc, etc..

Probably the same ones who paste junk all over their cabin doors. They do that at the Hilton too? Lost in grade school for life.;)

I was a hairdresser.

Trinkets did not make me happy.

Yes, I would smile and act like the goofy thing that was handed to me was the best thing I ever saw, right before turning my head and feeling sad and feeling guilty that this person just wasted a couple bucks, because I have NO use for this thing....Fortunately, this didn't happen often.

People work for money...they work hard for money. They don't work to collect things that other people think are cute.

If I did the hair of 75 people a week on average, and most of them gave me trinkets along with tips, can you imagine how much JUNK that would be???

Multiply that by hundreds for crew members!

yes, it's a kind thought...no doubt. But it's extremely wasteful and just not well thought out.

We sailed over Christmas last year and on Christmas day we put a few extra dollars in a Christmas card with a few kind words, this was very appreciated and we were told they would use it for a phone card to call home. Okay I know not everyone cruises at Christmas so substitute the Christmas card for a nice thank you card.:)

I work in a service industry, and I have to say cash is king. If you want to go above the standard tip, great! Leave more cash.

One thing I really dislike is the origami tips. It's pretty patronizing and I think it loses it's appeal after about age 10. I'm an adult, work hard to please the client, and a cash tip is appreciated. What I really enjoy is when I get a card or even just a post-it note with the tip that says "thank you, you are appreciated". Those really let me know the client values my service.

While I think the idea of trinkets is a kind one, there seems to be some kind of misconception about the lives of foreigners. I keep picturing natives sitting around a signal fire passing around the penlight; children squealing with glee while Papa clicks the magic on and off.

Please, they're adults and they have lives remarkably similar to ours - their bills are rent, electric bill, food and tuition for the kids. Give them what they work for - cash and a kind note that lets them know you value their service.

This discussion makes me think of the various school teachers I've known, some in public school, some in private.

It really made me appreciate that they appreciate the gestures, but have absolutely no use for the myriad of mugs, pencil holders, paper weights, and other "dustables" given to them by the children's parents at Christmas and at the end of the year.

Any time we'd want to show some extra appreciation for a teacher we'd go for the "spendables" -- i.e. gift cards or certificates to restaurants or grocery stores or supplies stores like SchoolBox.

I figure the same thing for the people working on the ship. Think through how many pax each waiter or steward works with over the course of a six month contract. 500 to 1000 people. Keep the t-shirts and stick to cash.

While I think the idea of trinkets is a kind one, there seems to be some kind of misconception about the lives of foreigners. I keep picturing natives sitting around a signal fire passing around the penlight; children squealing with glee while Papa clicks the magic on and off.

Nunu said the John Deere penlights were cool. This just makes them seem even cooler :D

Please, they're adults and they have lives remarkably similar to ours - their bills are rent, electric bill, food and tuition for the kids. Give them what they work for - cash and a kind note that lets them know you value their service.

Thank you for saying that so succinctly.

Nunu said the John Deere penlights were cool. This just makes them seem even cooler :D

It was Nunu's post that gave me the visual! :D

i never minded the origami tips.....what i did mind was that they were always a dollar and never a ten or twenty. A few folds of a peice of paper does not fill a gas tank!
haha, maybe that's it! Unfolding all that cute for a buck! lol :D

Okay - I don't use ones for the origami - often tens or twentys, sometimes fives(not that it's anybody's business), it depends on how many bills are needed for the particular design, they come in more shapes than just the t-shirt. And, I don't give all the tips that way. I did it for the assistant waiter to show that I appreciated the time he took to make my son feel special.

It is obvious to me that for some of you if it's not how you would do it it's just wrong. You say give cash - I give cash. You say write a thank oyu note - I do that too. Is the problem that I was creative?:confused: I don't find it patronizing and certainly don't intend it that way.I thought it was a cute way to take a little time for them. Hey a least it's cash and not a Florida Cap.:p

Sorry - a little touchy today.

It is obvious to me that for some of you if it's not how you would do it it's just wrong. You say give cash - I give cash. You say write a thank oyu note - I do that too. Is the problem that I was creative?:confused: I don't find it patronizing and certainly don't intend it that way.I thought it was a cute way to take a little time for them. Hey a least it's cash and not a Florida Cap.:p

The problem is that it takes almost as much work to unfold oragami as it does to fold it. ;) Plus it leaves the bills all wrinkly with odd creases, which makes them hard to use in vending machines.

The problem is that it takes almost as much work to unfold oragami as it does to fold it. ;) Plus it leaves the bills all wrinkly with odd creases, which makes them hard to use in vending machines.

Now I hadn't thought of that. :o Thank you for pointing that out, and nicely too. :D

Okay - I don't use ones for the origami - often tens or twentys, sometimes fives(not that it's anybody's business), it depends on how many bills are needed for the particular design, they come in more shapes than just the t-shirt. And, I don't give all the tips that way. I did it for the assistant waiter to show that I appreciated the time he took to make my son feel special.

for the record...i was not implying you were only giving ones. I did not mind the origami....thought it was cute. We just always got ones from those that did the origami.....we appreciated the 10s and 20s more. I also appreciated thank you notes, but i felt awkward at tossing the note after someone took the time to tell me thanks. The only time that i loved getting stuff was from a banana boat rep. Big box of t shirts, lip balms, sunscreens, hats etc. To be honest though, he wasn't thanking us for our hard work and sunny disposition. He wanted the shop to carry his products. I agree cash is king and if you want to fold it into shapes...go for it. I am sure they would appreciate it a lot more than a john deere key chain, pen light, ball cap, etc.

It is a really lousy idea.

Cash and a mention of the crew member's name in the cruise critique is worth way more to them than a key chain with a tractor on it.

Where do you think all of the junk that you give to crew members goes after you leave the ship - the trash bin.

I hate to be a cynic but when they say that whatever you give them is just wonderful, that is part of their professional training. What they are really think is "what kind of idiot do they think I am if they think that I really want yet another useless key chain or stuffed animal.

DON

Considering that many of them speak several foreign (to them) languages, I would guess that a lot of them are more educated than the passengers they serve.

DON

This reminds me of our Jan cruise on Princess.

We brought down 3 pool noodles to use in port (3 kids). Just before our last port day, we asked the room steward and the kids club staff if they wanted these pool noodles to use in their own staff pool. Both said no, they had no where to put them and already had a bunch at the pool. We took them off the ship and left them at the Margaritaville in Grand Turks - figured they might be able to use them...

So, moral of the story: Thanks but no thanks. We have no room. :p

Yay my favorite thread is back on the first page, I have already started trinket shopping for our cruise next April. I live in metro detroit, and with our reputation it makes for such fun trinket shopping.

Archived