Venice in the rain

sunny54

Rain and tide rarely stop Venice. The shops are still pretty magical, the masks and glass await. Murano tours and the Doge's palace will be a bit more crowded but wear rubber shoes and carry a good umbrella etc. and enjoy.

My DW always reminds me that people are waterproof! Venice is a walking city, rain or shine. Umbrellas do become a hinderance when you are walking in some of the narrow streets so this is a good place to simply wear a poncho or decent rain gear. As to your feet, we suggest wearing something that will not get ruined in the rain. If its not too cold even flip flops are fine although we tend to prefer sneakers.

Hank

Yeah, I know I won't melt so usually just wear the ponch. But the feet :eek:

something that will not get ruined in the rain
is another story. Have ruined a couple pairs, thought I would ask.

If you check the weather before you leave don't count on it to be true.Having said that I have been there when it rained and SM was flooded.They make it easy to get over the water,but you may run into some other area's where it is not so easy(this being IF it rainTHAT hard of course).Quite a few places rent boots if you rally need them,but you can get around ok with good walking shoes.Venice is just fine rain or shine.Enjoy.

thanks to everyone for the ideas and advice. Our ponchos are packed as are our sneakers (all in carry-ons since we arrive on the day of the scheduled baggage handlers strike)!!:)

Archived