Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

That's great about the Ferry and scooter accessibility. One more question - if my friend brings a scooter to Hamilton on the ferry, will she be able to get around OK? For example , are there some curb ramps or will she have to get off scooter at each curb? (She can walk but not for long distances) I think we will hire a driver for Sunday, see the island and maybe do a brief visit to St George's, and then on Monday do Hamilton via Ferry which will work well. Appreciate the info!

That's great about the Ferry and scooter accessibility. One more question - if my friend brings a scooter to Hamilton on the ferry, will she be able to get around OK? For example , are there some curb ramps or will she have to get off scooter at each curb? (She can walk but not for long distances) I think we will hire a driver for Sunday, see the island and maybe do a brief visit to St George's, and then on Monday do Hamilton via Ferry which will work well. Appreciate the info!

You know...I misunderstood what type of scooter you were talking about. I thought you were referring to the motor scooters that many tourists rent in Bermuda, not a mobility scooter.

BUT...the good news is that the ferries to to St. George's and Hamilton are accessible to mobility scooters, and the additional good news is that you can ignore my comment about having to pay an extra fare...that only applies to motor scooters.

As I recall there are ramps in Hamilton, but I know that in some places on Front Street (the main tourist area) there are changes in sidewalk elevation mid block requiring you to step up or down.

You know...I misunderstood what type of scooter you were talking about. I thought you were referring to the motor scooters that many tourists rent in Bermuda, not a mobility scooter.

BUT...the good news is that the ferries to to St. George's and Hamilton are accessible to mobility scooters, and the additional good news is that you can ignore my comment about having to pay an extra fare...that only applies to motor scooters.

As I recall there are ramps in Hamilton, but I know that in some places on Front Street (the main tourist area) there are changes in sidewalk elevation mid block requiring you to step up or down.

I wondered about that. I would not have thought I would have to pay for my mobility scooter. Before I went to Bermuda last Nov (2011), I asked about accessibility for scooters and the ferries ARE accessible. I didn't get a chance to try it because our ship arrived late (because of weather) and left early.

In the Dockyard area, the only problem I had with the scooter was that the waves were blowing over the sidewalk at the bow of the ship, and there was no way to get onto the sidewalk on the other side of the street other than by lifting the scooter up the curb. There were no curb cuts in that side.

Hi - this thread is great. I was able to book Nadanja Bailey for our trip in April. I did want to report back that Colin replied very promptly to my email (within 24 hours) but was unavailable. Also Nevis replied after several days but it was due to a computer problem, so I did not experience at all the lack of response that many have mentioned on this forum :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, for all the great information. I have Colin booked for our stop in Bermuda in July. He was responsive, via email, both in letting me know he was available and then confirming that I wanted to go ahead with the booking. We've been to Bermuda twice but both times on a Sunday when much of the island is closed!! We look forward to getting a real taste of Bermuda with Colin. Thanks again for all of the recommendations!

I have Colin booked for November! He seems really nice, and Duke seemed really nice as well when I had emailed him.

Were going to be there for 3 days but I decided that I still wanted a tour guide, because who knows when and if we will ever get back to Bermuda!

I emailed Duke but he will not do tours on Sunday's so I am doing the tour with his son, Nick.

We will be doing 4 hours at $40.00 an hour. Well worth it since in May the ferries do not run to St. George on Sunday and the bus schedule is very limited. Now we will be able to see some great sights and do it at our pace.

Has anyone toured with Nick?

Thanks!

We want a taxi tour of Bermuda for 4 of us in late April - only problem is that my husband is fairly large and has problems getting in/out of some vehicles. What type of taxis can we expect? (what type of vehicles?) Do any of the ones recommended here have a vehicle easy to get in/out of?

We want a taxi tour of Bermuda for 4 of us in late April - only problem is that my husband is fairly large and has problems getting in/out of some vehicles. What type of taxis can we expect? (what type of vehicles?) Do any of the ones recommended here have a vehicle easy to get in/out of?

What date?

Check out Vernon's.

I am touring, for the second time, with Keith Simmons <keithsimmons@logic.bm> with my power chair.

I'll be in Bermuda on the Gem on 5/2 and 5/3 and have booked Duke Soares for the afternoon of Wednesday 5/2.

Our ship (Gem) docks at noon according to the NCL webpage itinerary, but the 2012 Bermuda Cruise Ship Guide has us docking at 1:00 PM?

I booked Duke for 1 PM hoping we can get onto the pier quickly once we arrive.

I'm sure everyone else on board will have the same idea since we will only be docked for about 24 hours before having to leave again for NYC. :eek:

I emailed Duke but he will not do tours on Sunday's so I am doing the tour with his son, Nick.

We will be doing 4 hours at $40.00 an hour. Well worth it since in May the ferries do not run to St. George on Sunday and the bus schedule is very limited. Now we will be able to see some great sights and do it at our pace.

Has anyone toured with Nick?

Thanks!

I just booked with him for Sat. May 12th. I've seen one review here that says he provided a very good tour. I'm hoping that his Dad taught him well!

Have a wonderful cruise! Kathy

We booked Duke for May 3rd (afternoon). As you can see in an old post on this thread, we hired him this past Labor Day and had a great experience. Glad he was available this time around.

Will of course report back when we return!

Ashley

I just booked with him for Sat. May 12th. I've seen one review here that says he provided a very good tour. I'm hoping that his Dad taught him well!

Have a wonderful cruise! Kathy

Thanks! I'm sure he will be great!! I hope you enjoy your tour too!

• 2 weeks later...
Try googling Bermuda Tour Bus

Thank you for your response regarding my attempt to get a tour for my group of 8; however, Bermuda Tour Bus is the same company I referred to in my post when I mentioned Unique Vacations. They can accommodate 8 people but charge $75. pp for a 3 hr. tour. While I'd like for us to be in one vehicle, I feel $600. for a 3 hour tour is just more than I care to spend.

This company is also the one someone mentioned using but referred to them by the driver/hostess names of Robin & Judith.

Again, thanks anyway. This whole thread has been a wealth of information!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi CTCruiseMan - We have Duke booked from 8:30 to 12:30 on 5/2. We wanted and 1/2 hr. to 1 hr. but he told us he was already booked for 1 P.M. and now we know who is he booked with. Hope we all have a good time. Our ship arrives at 8 A.M. (Star) if you decide to ask him to come a half hour later we wouldn't mind keeping him for that extra 1/2 hour.

Edited by TRAVELNUTS WIFE