Interesting for those about to fly Transatlantic

Yesterdays VS001 Virgin Flight to Newark departed an hour late and arrived 2 1/2 hours late. Seems that flying round this ash cloud is causing delays (obviously) and adding 1 1/2 hours - 2 hours to flight times.

Flight number VS 001 Departure date 10 May 2010 Route London (LHR) to New York (EWR) Scheduled departure time 10 May 16:20 Actual departure time 10 May 17:11 Scheduled arrival time 10 May 19:00 Actual arrival time 10 May 21:36

Yesterdays VS001 Virgin Flight to Newark departed an hour late and arrived 2 1/2 hours late. Seems that flying round this ash cloud is causing delays (obviously) and adding 1 1/2 hours - 2 hours to flight times.

Flight number VS 001 Departure date 10 May 2010 Route London (LHR) to New York (EWR) Scheduled departure time 10 May 16:20 Actual departure time 10 May 17:11 Scheduled arrival time 10 May 19:00 Actual arrival time 10 May 21:36

The northeast has also been having VERY high winds that have been causing arrival delays, JFK was 3+ hours so that may be part of the issue also.

We just got back late last night from Barcelona cruise. Alot of air travel is either canceled or delayed by hours. We were on Voyager and on Saturday we were told that airports in Spain had been closed which caused a bit of a panic on ship. Sunday we went to the airport and flights were getting out but, with delays. We flew American that was supposed to take off at 11. We took off a little before 2pm. The flight took us above Iceland to get around the cloud. The flight was just shy of 13 hours. Needless to say many, many people did not get their connections causing chaos at JFK. I am just glad to have gotten out of Europe. We have several in our group that stayed a couple extra days in Barcelona that are supposed to leave today. I know they are going to run into some problems.

We were also delayed on the way over. JFK was down to 1 runway and had high winds. Air Traffic was being diverted. We were supposed to take off at 6 and finally took off shortly before 10pm.

JFK is down to 1 runway throughout the summer due to construction. Expect delays at JFK just due to that.

I don't like the idea of 2 hrs extra flight time, but I would rather get to Europe & make my cruise than have the flight cancelled.

I fly for a living. All flights going to and from Europe are being diverted around the ash. Flights are experiencing about 2 hour delays getting to their destination.

Archived