Switched from Celebrity to Princess for Alaska 2011

Tapi

Hi:

Well, I did it. I just cancelled my reservation on Celebrity and switched to Princess for Alaska 2011. Three reasons:

• I'll be sailing out of Seattle instead of Vancouver (more convenient and cheaper)
  • It's a Saturday departure instead of a Sunday departure (gives me one day to decompress before starting the work week)
  • I'll visit Glacier Bay instead of Hubbard Glacier (I understand it's a more stunning location)

Of course, I'm having a bit of "remorse" thinking that maybe I should've stuck with Celebrity.

I have never cruised on either Celebrity or Princess, but some friends comment that Celebrity is worth the extra inconveniences listed above.

BTW, price is not a consideration. The difference in price between the two was a grand total of $27 per couple!

For those of you who've had a chance to sail on both these cruise lines, what are your thoughts?

THANKS!

(I'll be posting on the Celebrity board to get their opinion as well)

Princess twice (Diamond and Island) and Infinity once. And we have sailed out of Vancouver, Seattle and Whittier...with one cruise ending in SF.

Personally...I know that flying to Vancouver is more expensive..and both Seattle and Vancouver are beautiful cities...and if you haven't been to either one then that could "be a wash"...based on your comment that price was not a consideration. A Saturday departure holds allure if you need to go to work when you get back home right away!! :cool:

I think, if you are just doing the cruise portion, then either line is great...but I would give a big plus vote to Princess if you are doing any land portion...as they have wonderful lodges and the train service.

We've been to all the glacier areas and each has a unique appeal and looks/sounds different so I think any of them are fantastic! Enjoy whatever you choose!! LuAnn

I think, if you are just doing the cruise portion, then either line is great...but I would give a big plus vote to Princess if you are doing any land portion...as they have wonderful lodges and the train service.

Thanks LuAnn. We're doing a cruise only. All of the cruise tour options sound SO tempting though!

Hi:

Well, I did it. I just cancelled my reservation on Celebrity and switched to Princess for Alaska 2011. Three reasons:

• I'll be sailing out of Seattle instead of Vancouver (more convenient and cheaper)
  • It's a Saturday departure instead of a Sunday departure (gives me one day to decompress before starting the work week)
  • I'll visit Glacier Bay instead of Hubbard Glacier (I understand it's a more stunning location)

Of course, I'm having a bit of "remorse" thinking that maybe I should've stuck with Celebrity.

I have never cruised on either Celebrity or Princess, but some friends comment that Celebrity is worth the extra inconveniences listed above.

BTW, price is not a consideration. The difference in price between the two was a grand total of $27 per couple!

For those of you who've had a chance to sail on both these cruise lines, what are your thoughts?

THANKS!

(I'll be posting on the Celebrity board to get their opinion as well)

We did the Golden Princess out of Seattle last June to Alaska and loved it. That was our first Cruise and now we are hooked. Have a great time!:)

Our first Alaskan cruise was RT out of Vancouver on Celebrity Infinity in 2005 and our 2nd was Southbound on the Sapphire Princess in 2007. Your first two reasons are personal choice and I see how they will make a better trip for you.

The glacier debate is not so cut and dry. The glaciers are very different and more depends on the weather than anything else. If you love Alaska as we do, and go back, do the glacier you haven't seen on your next trip. Like LuAnn said, you can't go wrong in terms of glaciers!

That said, for us it's more about the personality of the ship. Celebrity was a little formal and fussy for us, at least on an Alaskan cruise. Don't get me wrong, Princess first rate and is in no way shoddy and everyone was dressed beautifully at dinner and around the ship. Celebrity is truly wonderful but, for instance, on formal nights you're expected to be formal, really formal, all night, not just at dinner. That's very nice if you like that, and everywhere you looked people did look great, but when you've spent the day on a glacier with sled dogs, and just want to be casual at night, you might feel out of place. On other ships we'd just skip dinner in the dining room if we felt like taking it easy, but all around the ship people were really dressed up all night. More tuxes and ball gowns than I've seen on any other ship to the point that I noticed it and kind of wished I felt more comfortable somewhere on the ship on those nights.

I know many people like that, maybe you do too ... and I get that, sometimes we do too. I simply feel more comfortable on Princess at this point in our lives, on adventurous cruises like Alaska ... which is why we're booked on the Diamond for July 2011!

You can't go wrong either way, they are both wonderful ships and Alaska is so beautiful but you have sound reasons to change to Princess and I can't see how you would regret it ... it's a wonderful line and great itinerary!

My first cruise was celebrity to Alaska, and I have done 10 Princess cruises since! I enjoyed my Celebrity one, but prefer the "package" that princess offers. I feel that Princess offers an above average experience but as SleevesEnd mentioned, without the added fussiness of Celebrity.

One of the extra bonuses for me too would be having a day off before you get back to work. I hate getting back and working the next day. This will give you the chance to get unpacked, washing done and (hopefully) a bit of relaxation time before you get back into the rat race and back to reality!

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. I'm sure that you will. Best wishes.

Just so everyone is on the same wavelength: Celebrity no longer asks you to be dressed formally throughout the ship on formal nights. They only ask that you are dressed in "smart casual" outside of the MDR, which is how you would dress on non-formal nights. For some, this can make a difference.

Just so everyone is on the same wavelength: Celebrity no longer asks you to be dressed formally throughout the ship on formal nights. They only ask that you are dressed in "smart casual" outside of the MDR, which is how you would dress on non-formal nights. For some, this can make a difference.

Thanks ECCruise ... great information, I'm glad they changed it! After a long day in Sitka I think, we skipped dinner and ate in our room, I fell asleep with my clothes on and jumped up and ran to the kids club to pick up my daughter before it closed. I was literally so uncomfortable just in the elevators and walking the halls. I probably would have been considered "rumpled smart casual", but it was really awkward. We pay too much to feel we need to be banished to our rooms two out of seven nights! Again, I'm glad they changed that.

Archived