SB on Oosterdam questions

tkgcruise

We have SB6088 booked for our upcoming Alaska cruise. Has anyone stayed in this room that could tell us about it, is it a good choice or should I try to move up to the 7th floor.

Is there much advantage to being on the same floor as the lounge - just getting excited as this is our first HAL cruise.

K

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

WELL -- you aren't real close to the Neptune Lounge to run in and grab a snack from time to time. It is open from 7 AM until 8 PM and had continental breakfast from 7 and until 11 AM. After that there are tea sandwiches and wrapes, cookies, pound cake, chocolates from 11 AM until about 5 PM. Then cold appetizers are put out. Lots of people love the coffee machine -- regular, espresso, cappacino.

We always book an SA near the Neptune Lounge on the Vista and Signature ships.

First - I am not worried - so don;t worry about that! I am actually trying to get information and impressions from others so that while there is time we can make a change if possible. I actually thought this was the place to ask a question to get info from someone that may know something to help us get the most enjoyable cruise on a line we have not been on before.

Thanks for the informaiton - my DH is a coffee person, so I am sure he will want to take advantage of it, so we may move if there is an opening.

You're worrying too much, just relax and enjoy the cruise.:)

I agree. We were in SB6086 on Westerdam. It is just fine.

The walk to the Neptune is very short, even tho you are on a different floor. I made it regularly to supply DW with various treats.

OK, answers. There aren't many SBs on the 7th floor- 6 I think. So you would be upgrading to a SA, probably. No need. The room is the same very nice cabin, just a different floor. The stern SBs are very desirable, so they are probably not available. The stern SBs are further away than 6088. the "hump" SBs may be a little further away, but not much.

I think we have discussed the advantages of being on the same floor as the Neptune. Yes, it would be somewhat easier to use, but I don't mind the exercise (you know you need it!) And this block of SBs on the 6th floor isn't that far away.

Thanks for the answers - our travel agent actually asked if we would like to move as there is a room open but odd shape - so we needed some input since we know little about the ship or HAL. We are a little unsure of this line, such a variety of ratings, but decided to try it anyway. We love the Disney line and considered waiting for their Alaska cruise. Hopefully we will be as happy here.

Cabin # 6088 should be wonderful. As someone else has already mentioned, it is exactly the same as the SA suites on the 7th deck. You'll have exactly the same privileges as those in the SA and SC suites. If you are able bodied, it should take you no more than a minute or two to walk to the Neptune Lounge to pick up coffee or a snack. The Neptune Lounge is more a quiet place to stop by than a place to spend time. We have found other passengers there to be more 'pleasant' than 'gregarious'. It seems to get the most use in the mornings when people stop by (and often stay) for coffee and a Continental breakfast. As an aside; all HAL passengers can order a full hot breakfast from room service, and as a suite passenger you will also be able to go to the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast.

What you REALLY need to know is that if you want to carry beverages or food back to your cabin, which is common, remember to take the tray from under the ice bucket in your cabin to make the transport easier.

Thanks for the answers - our travel agent actually asked if we would like to move as there is a room open but odd shape - so we needed some input since we know little about the ship or HAL. We are a little unsure of this line, such a variety of ratings, but decided to try it anyway. We love the Disney line and considered waiting for their Alaska cruise. Hopefully we will be as happy here.

The "odd shape" SB reference is probably a "hump" cabin. 7088 or 7089.

The stern SBs are slightly smaller, but have much larger verandas, in most cases.

We have SB6088 booked for our upcoming Alaska cruise. Has anyone stayed in this room that could tell us about it, is it a good choice or should I try to move up to the 7th floor.

Is there much advantage to being on the same floor as the lounge - just getting excited as this is our first HAL cruise.

K

I predict that you'll love this location. Just pop up the stairs and down the hallway and you're at the door to the Neptune Lounge in 30 sec. or less!

We've stayed in SB6084 and SB6093. These locations, and your potential cabin, are very convenient to the mid-ship stairway and elevators. Enjoy.

:)

We just got off the Oosterdam last week, in cabin 6097 directly across the hall from you and it was a great location. We had one day of 20ft waves a long with 50 knots winds and there was very little motion. Had friends in 5190, one of the aft cabins with the rap-a-round verandas and there was so much side to side motion in their cabin you could hardly stand up!! Also, you are up high enough that you have a great view over the life boats. The room is also very quit, unlike our friends’ cabin. Enjoy

Jeff

Archived