Mediterranean Advice please...

Raptorboy

I'm taking my wife and my son on a Mediterranean Cruise. We are

staying a few days in Stressa, Italy and then Venice before the

cruise.

What I really would like to do is pre book the shore day's

excursion and travel first rate. Could anyone help me with

any "must see" places or even better, any private tour

companies that they have dealt with that we can count on.

We will be stopping in :

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Ephesus (Kusadasi) Turkey

Santorini Greece

Corfu Greece

We have never travelled to this part of the world before so any

advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Best,

Rob

Dubrovnik, Croatia

This is a port you can do on your own, walking, very scenic.

Ephesus (Kusadasi) Turkey & Corfu Greece

Sus out the Shore Excursions offered by your Cruise Line on their website

Santorini Greece

This is another port you can do on your own . Bus or taxi from Fira to Oia.

Hi Rob,

Welcome to Cruise Critic.:)

We don't have experience with private tour operators in the ports that you mention, but in Santorini, we rented a car for the day, and in Dubrovnik, we used the shuttle to get to the walled town and explored on our own.

I would suggest checking to see if there is a Roll Call for your cruise, where you can meet and talk to others who will be on board with you. It's a good place to share information, and to join tours that others have arranged and are looking to add people to. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Regarding 'must see' places, there's lots of good info here ... you can narrow your search through the forums to find information on the ports you are interested in by using the "Search This Forum" function at the top of the forum page.

Looking through the shore excursions offered by the cruise line will give you an idea of things to do in each port; even if you don't take those excursions, it's a starting point in finding out what there is to do/see in each port.

Another suggestion is to pick up a copy of a book on Mediterranean cruises (either at the library or bookstore). Here's one suggestion: http://www.amazon.com/Mediterranean-Cruise-Ship-Complete-Cruising/dp/0968838936 (if you scroll down on that page, there are 5 other similar books.)

Dubrovnik - everything is in walking distance of where the ships tender drops you, a lovely old shopping area with street cafes etc, monastery and the old Town Walls which you can walk round (fab views). Ship tour def not needed.

Santorini - there are 2 ways to get up to Fira - both are yards away from where the tender drops you; - on the back of a donkey! and a funincular. Depends how adventurous you are. Fira is a gorgeous lttle place to explore easily on foot, lots of lovely places to eat, drink and people watch, and you can (again very easily) catch a local bus to Oia. You'll have a far nicer day with your own family than on a tour.

Ephesus - we're going for the first time this year and I think to get the best out of it, will need a ship tour or share a private tour with others.

Whatever you decide to do - have a great time.

Welcome to CC!

Looks like a short but sweet cruise. From what I know the only port where I would consider a private tour would be Kusadasi for Ephesus. We used Ekol there, FWIW I'd use them again, the guide we had Ali was great! BTW do a lot more reading here, you'll find ship tours are NOT the way to go. Do the leg work and private saves you money, time and is always a better experience, unless the big bus affairs with 40+ people is how you like to vacation.

It can seem scary but the cruise ports that are easy to DIY really are easy ;)

Read up here on what is available and tips:

http://www.europeportreviews.com/

I'm taking my wife and my son on a Mediterranean Cruise. We are

staying a few days in Stressa, Italy and then Venice before the

cruise.

What I really would like to do is pre book the shore day's

excursion and travel first rate. Could anyone help me with

any "must see" places or even better, any private tour

companies that they have dealt with that we can count on.

We will be stopping in :

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Ephesus (Kusadasi) Turkey

Santorini Greece

Corfu Greece

We have never travelled to this part of the world before so any

advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Best,

Rob

For Ephesus, check out Ekol or HelloEphesus which are well reviewed on these boards.

Look for the search function at the top of each page. You will find your question has been answered many times.

We had a great day long tour with HelloEphesus. I would not want to be part of a large tour group. You spend too much time waiting for others at bathroom stops, etc. With a private tour you can go where you want.

HI Rob!

I just have to tell you that we stayed in Stresa a couple of years ago, and just loved it. It was recommended to us, and the setting is spectacular. There are a number of lovely old homes and islands you can tour using public boat system. You have made a great choice!

Take the shuttle in Croatia into the walled city and walk through- it's beautiful! At the marina, you can take a 5 minute boat ride to the island of Locra for a beautiful day of swimming with coves on a little island. You can also walk the walls of the old city for a small fee. No tour needed here.

In Santorini (my fav port), you can ride the donkeys up the mountain which was an amazing experience!! We then took a taxi to Oia which is a MUST SEE!!

We did tour through the ship in Turkey and went to Ephesus and walked.

In Corfu, we just walked the city, shopped, and ate ice cream! There was a little spot where you could pay to go and swim. The water is just gorgeous here!

I have photos on my blog:

http://bethwildphotographyblog.com/?p=1338

Archived