Mariner society update while on back to back cruise?

edpacecar

We will be on a 12 night cruise 09/19. Then a 42 10/01 night cruise, these cruises are back to back on the Westerdam. We have 186 nights right now. So at the end of the 12 night we will be at 198 less $$$ spent days. So we will be over 200.

Will they adjust our status for the 42 night cruise while onboard?

Anyone else run into this. The 12 night and 42 night cruises have 2 different booking numbers.

Anyone else run into this. The 12 night and 42 night cruises have 2 different booking numbers.

If the 42-night is a segment of a GV yes, but otherwise no.

From the FAQ's:

Q: How quickly will my Cruise Day status be updated after I return from a cruise?

A: Seven to ten days after your cruise or cruisetour ends.

Q: If I become eligible for a higher benefit tier while onboard, when can I take advantage of the additional benefits?

A: For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

From the FAQ's:

Q: How quickly will my Cruise Day status be updated after I return from a cruise?

Q: If I become eligible for a higher benefit tier while onboard, when can I take advantage of the additional benefits?

A: For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

I wonder, since the 12-night is on a separate booking number from the longer voyage, whether the new Mariner benefits might indeed apply for the second sailing. Technically, the longer cruise is a separate sailing.

I think the comments in the FAQ's seem to indicate that, except for GV, status won't be updated in the middle of a cruise ... but with 2 different booking numbers, I think I would call HAL for clarification.

I recently cruised with a gentleman in that same situation. Two 10 day cruises, back to back, with separate booking numbers. The first 10 days completed his requirements for 4-star status, but he was told repeatedly that the benefits would not be in effect till his next, totally separate, cruise.

His wife threw a fit at the front desk (and, frankly, everywhere else) till she finally got her way. He was given "complimentary" 4-star status on the second leg.

I won't add my opinion.

I wonder, since the 12-night is on a separate booking number from the longer voyage, whether the new Mariner benefits might indeed apply for the second sailing. Technically, the longer cruise is a separate sailing.

I think the comments in the FAQ's seem to indicate that, except for GV, status won't be updated in the middle of a cruise ... but with 2 different booking numbers, I think I would call HAL for clarification.

I agree.

By coincidence, I raised this very question with the Mariner's desk in Seattle a few days ago, as we have a similar situation coming up.

I was told that the second cruise of the two B2Bs would be at the higher star level, but that I should visit with the front desk just before or on the "transition" date from one cruise to another to remind them to program my new key card with the appropriate Mariner status.

IOW, the applicable language is that your Mariner status will be updated on the subsequent cruise. The caveat seems to be that because of the immediate nature of the subseqent cruise, you must be proactive and make sure it happens onboard.

I'll be very curious is anyone gets conflicting guidance from headquarters.

I would think that the computer (in Seattle...) would perform the upgrade regardless of where the OP is, so they could go into the computer after the first week of the second cruise, and see their new status, and present evidence at the desk...EM

The OP should call HAL and get clarification. They are short 2 days when they begin the 42 segment. Seven to 10 days into the second voyage they should get updated to the 4 star status. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Agree ... a call to HAL should clarify for the OP. It would be interesting to see if the response is in keeping with doncarlos' experience.

Actually, they are likely to meet the 200-day mark at the end of the 12-night ... Hotel Service Charges alone, assuming two passengers, would account for more than an entire day of credit. Then, any other spending, either before or during that sailing, also would count toward the milestone.

The OP should call HAL and get clarification. They are short 2 days when they begin the 42 segment. Seven to 10 days into the second voyage they should get updated to the 4 star status. It will be interesting to see what happens.
But only if the 42 day is a segment of a GV.

But only if the 42 day is a segment of a GV.

I agree.

By coincidence, I raised this very question with the Mariner's desk in Seattle a few days ago, as we have a similar situation coming up.

I was told that the second cruise of the two B2Bs would be at the higher star level, but that I should visit with the front desk just before or on the "transition" date from one cruise to another to remind them to program my new key card with the appropriate Mariner status.

IOW, the applicable language is that your Mariner status will be updated on the subsequent cruise. The caveat seems to be that because of the immediate nature of the subseqent cruise, you must be proactive and make sure it happens onboard.

I'll be very curious is anyone gets conflicting guidance from headquarters.

Read what doncarlos said he got for an answer from HAL -- and he didn't mention if he was going to be on any part of the GV.

Read what doncarlos said he got for an answer from HAL -- and he didn't mention if he was going to be on any part of the GV.

neither of the 2b2b are gv
Once again, one of the hallmarks of HAL: inconsistency from ship to ship or case to case. Sometimes hour to hour, if somebody calls Seattle several times! :rolleyes:

From the FAQ's:

" next HAL cruise " means just that..........if you have b2b with sep. booking # , that 2nd is " next cruise " .................amen!!!!!!..........

off veendam may 2 and checked my status on line within a day or two and it was currect through that cruise ............

therefore , i would support the view that op moves up in status in 2b2b irrespective on gv or no gv.....which, again , is what mariners desk told me a few days ago................

the gent gmapajama mentioned below might just have been correct in his position , though perhalps not in his " style " of presenting his case !............the move from 3 star to 4 , particularly on a longer cruise with numerous tender ports , has real economic considerations::::: 50 % vice 25 % on wine pack, pin. grill, lattes at explo. cafe, mini bar; priority tender; complimentary laundry and dc;etc etc so this is not to be blown away and is proving to be a great market tool for hal....people are counting there days/ shipboard charges etc to reach the 200...........the folks who came up with the new program are being promoted ! enjoy

I got the same response as doncarlos when I asked about this concerning my recent 2 cruises on the Rotterdam. Seattle said I would be upgraded to the new level (in my case from 2 to 3 star) on the ship; I should just go to the front desk with my key card. I took a copy of that email with me just in case and after my 19 day Panama Canal cruise I approached the front desk and had the change made-no problems. The only thing I see that will make a difference is that edpacecar will be short two days that will be made up by his spending. I would imagine that will easily happen on the first cruise. Whatever documentation you get from Seattle just take it along for backup.

St. Louis Sal

" next HAL cruise " means just that..........if you have b2b with sep. booking # , that 2nd is " next cruise " .................amen!!!!!!..........

off veendam may 2 and checked my status on line within a day or two and it was currect through that cruise ............

therefore , i would support the view that op moves up in status in 2b2b irrespective on gv or no gv.....which, again , is what mariners desk told me a few days ago................

But my point is that the OP's cruise day credits are not automatically and instantly added when the first leg is completed, but rather several days into the second leg. HAL says it may take 7 to 10, you said "within a day or two", but in any case it doesn't happen until sometime in the 2nd leg. This is particularly important for credits earned from purchases, since the OP has stated that they will be short 2 actual days. Therefore the change in tier takes place during the second leg ... and according to HAL's stated rules, unless it is a segment of a GV the new benefits will not become available or that cruise, whether it is a separate booking number or not.

However, we all all know there are wide variances from stated rules from ship to ship or cruise to cruise, and the OP may or may not get the new benefits on the second leg.

Just to let you know I have E-mailed HAL. This way I will receive a E-mail with reply as to how this will be handled. Then I can print it out if needed.

I will post their reply when I receive it.

We will be on a 12 night cruise 09/19. Then a 42 10/01 night cruise, these cruises are back to back on the Westerdam. We have 186 nights right now. So at the end of the 12 night we will be at 198 less $$$ spent days. So we will be over 200.

Below is the E-mail I received from HAL about Mariner Status change on back to back cruises.

Dear Edward,

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line. Guests who cross a threshold from one Star level to the next will receive the elevated Star level and benefits on their next Holland America Line cruise.

For guests who are booked on back to back sailings they will need to inquire with the Front Office, if they cross a Star level threshold, if their second cruise will receive the next Star level benefits. This is because it generally takes 7-10 days after a cruise ends for the guests Mariner number to be updated. So the data base will not show the next tier level by the time the next cruise starts.

So in your case, you would be eligable for the Four Star status for the last 40 days of your 42-day cruise, booking 9TXVXK. Please visit the Front Desk and advise them that ou have crossed the threshold.

Please let us know if you have further questions. Holland America Line would be delighted to welcome you onboard in the near future. We are confident our signature of excellence will surpass your expectations.

Kind Regards

Ronni

Holland America Line

877-724-5425

Below is the E-mail I received from HAL about Mariner Status change on back to back cruises.

Dear Edward,

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line. Guests who cross a threshold from one Star level to the next will receive the elevated Star level and benefits on their next Holland America Line cruise.

For guests who are booked on back to back sailings they will need to inquire with the Front Office, if they cross a Star level threshold, if their second cruise will receive the next Star level benefits. This is because it generally takes 7-10 days after a cruise ends for the guests Mariner number to be updated. So the data base will not show the next tier level by the time the next cruise starts.

So in your case, you would be eligable for the Four Star status for the last 40 days of your 42-day cruise, booking 9TXVXK. Please visit the Front Desk and advise them that ou have crossed the threshold.

Please let us know if you have further questions. Holland America Line would be delighted to welcome you onboard in the near future. We are confident our signature of excellence will surpass your expectations.

Kind Regards

Ronni

Holland America Line

877-724-5425

Ed , Just what I said earlier................so go for it ...........and all of us we need to remember that if you don't ask you dont get.....and always take the upside [ be nice though ] and dont take the downside [ jtl513 , you make a point but why not take the glass 1/2 full shot vice 1/2 empty ] ........................interesting that I recall [ notes not before me ] that "ronnie " was mariners desk rep. I spoke with [ see earlier post ].............

So in your case, you would be eligable for the Four Star status for the last 40 days of your 42-day cruise, ...
That's good to hear, as it is the proper thing to do IMO. Now I hope they correct the information in the FAQs that states it will only be done on GV segments.

That's good to hear, as it is the proper thing to do IMO. Now I hope they correct the information in the FAQs that states it will only be done on GV segments.

The 42 night is not part of a GrandVoyage. At one time I had it booked as a 24 night and a 18 night. But the they came out with a lower rate booking it as a 42 night and we saved clsoe to $1,500 by rebooking it.

Archived