Dr excuse for caffeine drinks?? FOS specifically

I can't have caffeine either. I just get water and use it with some flavor packets I bring on board.

I would think that if you get a doctor's note bringing the drinks on is fine.

I just LOVE how people make all sorts of judgment calls about others' medical issues. I too am caffeine intolerant (heart races) and I asked my doctor to write me a note and had no problem taking CFDC on board with me.

There is no other DIET caffeine free drinks on board.

To the OP: just attach the note from the MD to your 12 pack of drink and you will be fine. And ignore all the annoying and totally unhelpful responses.

Katherine

I think people need to be educated about foods/liquids that can cause a specific reaction in people. And that certain foods/liquids may be quite necessary to have available at all times.

My husband is diabetic and can not drink diet sodas on the ship because they all contain phenylalanine or aspartame which he is highly allergic to. So we bring a few bottles of soda/juice that is sweetened with Splenda. We have never had a problem. Though we do carry a note from his doctor stating such.

I think most understand that it may be medically necessary to avoid caffeine. What seems odd is that it is medically necessary that you drink a specific caffeine-free soda. There are other caffeine-free drinks on board (including caffeine-free sodas such as Sprite) that one can have so it seems more like a want to have other caffeine-free sodas.

This is intersting thread. So a doctor is prescribing decaffeinated drinks. A prescription? meaning that it is a medical necessity that the OP consume decaffeinated beverages?

It may be a medical necessity that the OP NOT drink caffeinated drinks. But, if the OP drank say water, if would not be caffeinated. So if the OP went 7 or so days or even longer on a cruise without drinking decaffeinated drinks the OPS health would suffer?

If I'm right, the prescription should not cause RCCL to bend the rule about bringing soda on board. The OP could still survive without the decaffeinated drinks.

I am just rolling my eyes at the thought that someone bothered some doctor about such a trivial thing. People use "doctors notes" as an excuse to get changes or adjustments that are often unnecessary really, or easily worked around by themselves if they put their mind to it, It seems that some here try to legitimize their personal desires yet "blame it on their condition". You need to take meds with food- fine! Go get a snack from the Windjammer to hold you over. Or book early and get one of those early dining spots. You are sensitive to caffeine? Fine, don't drink any. Drink liquor, punch, lemonade or water for petes sake. Geesh. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, don't forget to lay off the chocolate too as it contains caffeine.

I am just rolling my eyes at the thought that someone bothered some doctor about such a trivial thing. People use "doctors notes" as an excuse to get changes or adjustments that are often unnecessary really, or easily worked around by themselves if they put their mind to it, It seems that some here try to legitimize their personal desires yet "blame it on their condition". You need to take meds with food- fine! Go get a snack from the Windjammer to hold you over. Or book early and get one of those early dining spots. You are sensitive to caffeine? Fine, don't drink any. Drink liquor, punch, lemonade or water for petes sake. Geesh. :rolleyes:

Your suggestion to drink liquor, juice, punch, lemonade is not possible if you are diabetic. Yes, people do have the option to drink water but it is their vacation. There are so many daily struggles when you are diabetic. Why should they not be allowed to bring on this simple treat? I am sure the diabetic that is caffeine intolerant would love to put their mind to it and solve the issue. Not everyone is abusing the system! Oh yeah, chocolate is out of the question too. Sounds fun … doesn’t it?

Maybe it has a bit to do with the fact that it is their vacation and they'd prefer to have a drink that they actually like whilst on vacation - I think the drink water suggestion is a bit callous and shows lack of sensitivity for the issues that other people might have. Funny though, that these are the same people who eventually turn around and fuss, fight and complain when one inch of their perfect vacation does not go according to plan.

This is intersting thread. So a doctor is prescribing decaffeinated drinks. A prescription? meaning that it is a medical necessity that the OP consume decaffeinated beverages?

It may be a medical necessity that the OP NOT drink caffeinated drinks. But, if the OP drank say water, if would not be caffeinated. So if the OP went 7 or so days or even longer on a cruise without drinking decaffeinated drinks the OPS health would suffer?

If I'm right, the prescription should not cause RCCL to bend the rule about bringing soda on board. The OP could still survive without the decaffeinated drinks.

Why should I HAVE to only endure water on my cruise? But yes I do have a medical issue with caffeine. If RCCL doesn't want to offer those things to us then fine we should be allowed to bring them. I also just found out I am diabetic so its a MUST that I have caffeine and sugar free now. Just think you're being a little rude in the way you assume we should only have water. Would you only want to drink water ? maybe so but for me I do not!

I believe the issue is caffeine.

I read it as an excuse from the MD that the OP should be allowed to bring decaf beverages onboard.

I agree that the OP could drink water and avoid caffeine.

Other pax bring sodas onboard so I am not sure why she thought she would need a note.

She may want to also ask RCI what foods onboard contain caffeine so she can avoid them as well.

Good point because sadly chocolate is one that I can't have after late afternoon... and since I just found out I am diabetic then I shouldn't have it at all :(

I just LOVE how people make all sorts of judgment calls about others' medical issues. I too am caffeine intolerant (heart races) and I asked my doctor to write me a note and had no problem taking CFDC on board with me.

There is no other DIET caffeine free drinks on board.

To the OP: just attach the note from the MD to your 12 pack of drink and you will be fine. And ignore all the annoying and totally unhelpful responses.

Katherine

Thanks Katherine! In my wildest dreams I would have never thought I would be flammed for asking such a simple question. People are just rude in today's society. Especially the ones that have NO clue what others are going through... Oh well guess I got my answer the hard way this time. I also get the jittery/hyper feeling and then can not get to sleep until 4 or 5 am. That is if I drink any caffeine after 1 or 2 in the afternoon. Thanks again for your kind response :)

L

I just dont see it. I looked at the "onboard policies" under frequently asked ?'s. It say Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages on board? I've read and re-read this section. It doesn't prohibit non-alcoholic bev's. Where do you see this?

I also get the jittery/hyper feeling and then can not get to sleep until 4 or 5 am. That is if I drink any caffeine after 1 or 2 in the afternoon. Thanks again for your kind response :)

L

A few years ago my Dr. told me . . . as you get older(that's never good:(:o) you can become sensitive to caffeine. So I stop drinking it around 1 or so and that seems to help.

And I'm rolling my eyes in the opposite direction because of your lack of education when it comes to diabetes. When you have lived with and know what a diabetic can and can not have, then I will listen to you.:mad:

Not everyone works the system to their advantage.

My husband is diabetic and finally gave up diet pepsi. he likes the powdered drink "tubes" that you can dump into water. crystal light, propel, cheap store brand ... they're very convenient. he also takes his own tea bags so he's sure to get decaf and varieties that he enjoys. some herbal blends can provide a wake up without caffeine. He makes 2 cups and the second cools and later goes over ice.

Be sure to try any of these at home first to make sure you like them!!

I just read the FAQ section about bringing alcohol and non alcohol onboard. They have changed the rules. I read this section about 2 months ago and it was CLEAR absolutley no beverages period. If you had alchohol confiscated they would give it back at the end of the cruise. Now it seems they will not give it back if confiscated.

2nd I called Royal and spoke to a supervisor they call them something else but I can't remember what her title is now. She said that non alcoholic beverages are allowed they just don't recommend it. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm.... So there ya have it folks as of today... Tomorrow it could all change GRRRRR

And I'm rolling my eyes in the opposite direction because of your lack of education when it comes to diabetes. When you have lived with and know what a diabetic can and can not have, then I will listen to you.:mad:

Not everyone works the system to their advantage.

Okay, bring the six pack or some crystal light. But to get a freakin' doctors note for such a silly thing!? Pah-leese.

And trust me, I know plenty about diabetes. I know, for example, that a lot of diabetics do as they please if it suits them. And others do follow more stringent rules. And others still compromise between what they want and what they should do.

Its kinda sad that soda pop takes on such import. Perhaps over use was one risk to their health in the first place?

Well, to be perfectly honest, if I drink 2 standard cans of diet full caffeine coke, it is as if I didn't take any of the *3* cardiac meds I take daily. Pumping my BP up to 210/190 is *not* a good idea. So, yes it can be medically indicated to avoid caffeine. :)

Pretty much that leaves me water. I can't do the juices or the lemonaid - I'm also diabetic ... so if I don't take the crystal lite type mixes for my water, or [if I was into soda] decaf sodas, I'm stuck with plain water. Decaf coffee and decaf tea actually d still have a small percentage of caffeine in them. The definition of decaf as it pertains to coffee is 97. something % decaffinated - something like 3 to 5 mg caffeine per cup instead of 85 mg caffeine per cup ...

I feel so bad about people giving ou crap since you like a certain drink and want to enjoy it on your vacation. It is allowed Per RCCL so just ignore it. BTW I have the exact opposite problem, I can drink tea soda etc all day and night and still fall asleep 5 min later. Its like it doesnt effect me at all! my hubby is the same way.

Okay, bring the six pack or some crystal light. But to get a freakin' doctors note for such a silly thing!? Pah-leese.

And trust me, I know plenty about diabetes. I know, for example, that a lot of diabetics do as they please if it suits them. And others do follow more stringent rules. And others still compromise between what they want and what they should do.

Its kinda sad that soda pop takes on such import.

Perhaps over use was one risk to their health in the first place?

For someone that knows a lot about diabetes … Type 1 diabetics are diagnosed has children (and adults) and their soda consumption has nothing to do with being diabetic. I feel sorry for the diabetics you know that do whatever they please … they are really living dangerously. The people with diabetes that follow Doctor’s orders really do have an everyday struggle. Good luck to you that enjoy a caffeine diet soda … I hope you are permitted to carry the soda on board with you.

I am not the OP but I will chime in. I am an othewise very healthy 46-yo woman. Last fall out of the blue, I collapsed and emergently ended up in the cardiac care unit. I have an electrical problem with my my heart rate and my heart rhythm. Because of that, I can *never* consume caffeine. Ever again. No chocolate, no tea, no coffee, no sodas - I can have nothing with caffeine.

That being said, I enjoy a daily Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi - caffeine free. I am spending thousands of dollars on an upcoming 9 day cruise. I will be vacationing. I would love to be able to relax and enjoy a soda while onboard. There are no caffeine-free diet sodas onboard, so I will be bringing my own. Yes, with my cardiologist's note if it is needed.

You may think it is a "trivial thing," however you have absolutely no right to tell me to "Drink liquor, punch, lemonade or water for petes sake." Roll your eyes all you want, but you are not in my shoes.

I am not the OP but I will chime in. I am an othewise very healthy 46-yo woman. Last fall out of the blue, I collapsed and emergently ended up in the cardiac care unit. I have an electrical problem with my my heart rate and my heart rhythm. Because of that, I can *never* consume caffeine. Ever again. No chocolate, no tea, no coffee, no sodas - I can have nothing with caffeine.

That being said, I enjoy a daily Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi - caffeine free. I am spending thousands of dollars on an upcoming 9 day cruise. I will be vacationing. I would love to be able to relax and enjoy a soda while onboard. There are no caffeine-free diet sodas onboard, so I will be bringing my own. Yes, with my cardiologist's note if it is needed.

You may think it is a "trivial thing," however you have absolutely no right to tell me to "Drink liquor, punch, lemonade or water for petes sake." Roll your eyes all you want, but you are not in my shoes.

Well said and thanks for putting it so eloquently.

Its kinda sad that soda pop takes on such import. Perhaps over use was one risk to their health in the first place?

Juvvie onset diabs aren't generally so free-wheeling. I think the advent of the pump has created a few too many "whatever" diabetics. It will catch up with them. Specifically one alcoholic diabetic (x-hub of friend of mine).

each person can manage their health their own way, but I am grateful that my husband chooses to maintain control over his bs in order to attempt to stave off the really terrible things to come. it's an extremely cruel disease and it sounds like the diabs you are acquainted with are not taking it seriously enuf.

Type II onset is really difficult because of a lifetime of habits to change. I think those are the folks that struggle most with moderation and complete elimination of things they enjoyed. So why not be able to "treat yourself" with whatever your Happy Beverage is? it's just not the same as pulling up a big ole frosty mug of Tap Water.

A little compassion goes a long way.

I just read the FAQ section about bringing alcohol and non alcohol onboard. They have changed the rules. I read this section about 2 months ago and it was CLEAR absolutley no beverages period. If you had alchohol confiscated they would give it back at the end of the cruise. Now it seems they will not give it back if confiscated.

2nd I called Royal and spoke to a supervisor they call them something else but I can't remember what her title is now. She said that non alcoholic beverages are allowed they just don't recommend it. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm.... So there ya have it folks as of today... Tomorrow it could all change GRRRRR

When companies change policies remnants of the old policy often stay scattered around the website.

Here is a Guest Conduct policy stating that:

"Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic nor non-alcoholic beverages onboard and Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage, etc.) at any time."

From their top 10 FAQs:

"Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol."

I think because the more restrictive policy is buried in a PDF somewhere, and the less restrictive policy is in a top 10 FAQ, the less restrictive policy is likely accurate.

So to the OP, no note needed.

Whether other posters have a right to or not, RCI has a right to prevent you from bringing your own soda on board if they so choose, a doctor's note not notwithstanding.

I have already mentioned that, although I don't see a reason to, bringing a note onboard should be fine.

With that said...

To those that have talked about "those that are just saying drink water" are insensitive and have no idea what it can be like....

I have 2 chronic conditions which do not allow me to have caffeine. The flavor packets are great for me.

My Mother is diabetic (along with many other ailments). She, like others, enjoys her diet caffeine-free sodas. She doesn't bring any onboard. She doesn't get sick if she doesn't have them for a week. She does; however, monitor her carbs intake (which is the most important thing with Diabetes).

There are some of us who do know exactly what its like.

Whether other posters have a right to or not, RCI has a right to prevent you from bringing your own soda on board if they so choose, a doctor's note not notwithstanding.

Absolutely. I'm not disputing that. RCI's ship, RCI's rules.

In my case, guest relations says I may bring a personal quantity of softdrinks aboard.

To put the Dr's excuse to rest once and for all..... I spoke to the Access dept that handles special needs. The nice lady told me it is up to the port authority to allow me to board with drinks or not.... However that if I have my excuse then there won't be an issue and she also noted my reservation of my needs.

Also addressing the issue of someone who keeps saying drink alcohol,lemonade,fruit punch ect... All of those would drastically raise blood sugar levels. Controlling the carb intake is how to maintain. Since there is an abundance of rich food being served that is another obstacle to NOT be tempted. If I keep the liquid part of my diet healthy then I can enjoy a thing or two I may like... I am not insulin dependent yet but am on meds. I am fully aware of how diabetes works and what controls it.

Enough is enough already about how stupid you think having a Dr's excuse is. If my Dr had thought it was petty then he would NOT have written a note! They won't just hand out excuses if not necessary.

Thanks to everyone else that have had kind words.... I really hate this topic created such a vaccum of all the negativities about a health issue that needed some clarification for me.

I am a micro planner and didn't want to get to embarkation and have an issue that would start my cruise off on a sour note. Thank you again for the positive response and sharing your stories of how you deal with similar issues :)

L

L

There is no need at all to justify yourself and I'm sorry that others needed educating on what it's like to have to watch each carb and ingredient intake. If just one person became enlightened by your initial post then it's a job well done. My guess is that there's more than one. We've not even touched on the caffeine

presence in medications.....

Archived