Dr excuse for caffeine drinks?? FOS specifically

I had my Dr write me an excuse for caffeine drinks... I am VERY sensitive and they keep me up til wee hours.... Will a hand written excuse on a RX pad let me take caffeine free sodas onboard? Also what other caffeine and sugar free drinks do they have on FOS?

Have you called Customer Service and discussed this with the Customer Service Rep? I think you will find them to be accomodating of your needs.

On a different thread, a person with diabetes requested the ability to bring sugar free beverages on board and I believe they granted her or his request.

Quite possibly, if they don't offer for sale the type of beverage you need, then it seems only fair they should accomodate your needs.. after all, it IS a medical issue!

Good luck and happy cruising!!!

Have you called Customer Service and discussed this with the Customer Service Rep? I think you will find them to be accomodating of your needs.

On a different thread, a person with diabetes requested the ability to bring sugar free beverages on board and I believe they granted her or his request.

Quite possibly, if they don't offer for sale the type of beverage you need, then it seems only fair they should accomodate your needs.. after all, it IS a medical issue!

Good luck and happy cruising!!!

I haven't called customer service yet. I think I will do that tomorrow :) or Monday if they're not in on Sunday. Thanks for the suggestion :)

They may have you fill out one of their forms. Because of meds, my dh has to eat at the early dining. A couple of times it was not available so we filled out a medical form and got it signed by our doctor and they found room.

This is intersting thread. So a doctor is prescribing decaffeinated drinks. A prescription? meaning that it is a medical necessity that the OP consume decaffeinated beverages?

It may be a medical necessity that the OP NOT drink caffeinated drinks. But, if the OP drank say water, if would not be caffeinated. So if the OP went 7 or so days or even longer on a cruise without drinking decaffeinated drinks the OPS health would suffer?

If I'm right, the prescription should not cause RCCL to bend the rule about bringing soda on board. The OP could still survive without the decaffeinated drinks.

I believe the issue is caffeine.

I read it as an excuse from the MD that the OP should be allowed to bring decaf beverages onboard.

I agree that the OP could drink water and avoid caffeine.

Other pax bring sodas onboard so I am not sure why she thought she would need a note.

She may want to also ask RCI what foods onboard contain caffeine so she can avoid them as well.

As someone who is caffeine intolerant suggesting that I drink water instead of a soda drink may appear valid however it makes life that little bit less interesting. If I want a rum and coke for example, offering me rum and water isn't quite the same.

As someone who is caffeine intolerant suggesting that I drink water instead of a soda drink may appear valid however it makes life that little bit less interesting. If I want a rum and coke for example, offering me rum and water isn't quite the same.

A perspection to avoid a "life that is a little bit less interesting"?

Ok then , I want a perspection for a night with Salma Hayek, because without it, life is a little less interesting.

Well since I am bringing one of my doctors with me on my cruise (he's a friend of mine) I wonder if he'll write me a prescripton for Mountain Dew. I get nasty migraines without it. True story! :D

lol :p

I'll tell him to pack his prescription pad just in case! HA! :D I'll test out the theory and see if it works...LOL!

I'm a Pepsi girl myself and have always carried my own sodas on board.

In the past we have hand carried them and never been questioned. Last cruise we put them in a duffle bag and gave to the porter. They were delivered to our cabin with our other luggage.

Have a great cruise!:)

On our last cruise on RCI (and the others as well) I have carried on a couple of 12 packs of soda. The last cruise I just reinforced the 12 pack boxes with tape, duct taped them together with a luggage tag taped to them and gave them to the porters, they arrived at our room with the luggage - no problem.

I believe the ships have diet sprite. It doesn't do it for me. I need caffeine free diet coke. You can also bring Crystal Light individual packets and mix the powder with water. I also make my own lemonade with a large glass of water, several lemon wedges and my sweetener of choice (for me it's Equal). That's always great.

In this case it is not a matter of avoiding caffeine, it is a matter of choice. I can't have caffeine either. I make do with Sprite, Ginger ale, lemonade, water and virgin drinks from the bar. They do serve decaf tea and coffee in the dining room and Windjammer. This is really not a medical necessity since there are plenty of alternatives; it is a matter of choice. I choose not to bring my Caffeine Free Diet Dr Pepper.

I just LOVE how people make all sorts of judgment calls about others' medical issues. I too am caffeine intolerant (heart races) and I asked my doctor to write me a note and had no problem taking CFDC on board with me.

There is no other DIET caffeine free drinks on board.

To the OP: just attach the note from the MD to your 12 pack of drink and you will be fine. And ignore all the annoying and totally unhelpful responses.

Katherine

We have always brought a case of CF diet coke, or the 6 packs of CF diet coke in 16oz bottles on our 13 cruises. We either put them in a rolling suitcase and carry them on or just reinforce with duct tape and a luggage tag and let the porter handle it with our other luggage. Never been questioned and always arrived in our room with our other luggage. My DH has to avoid caffeine because of atrial fib. He drinks the CF coffee, tea and lots of water. You won't need a note or script.:)

I had my Dr write me an excuse for caffeine drinks... I am VERY sensitive and they keep me up til wee hours.... Will a hand written excuse on a RX pad let me take caffeine free sodas onboard? Also what other caffeine and sugar free drinks do they have on FOS?

My wife's Dr. wrote a note to me, that stated, my wife CAN have a few alchololic drinks in moderation. It was on a RX pad. Honestly, they can write anything on the pad, and anyone can sign it. Doesn't make it "real" since it is just a note. Although anyone could have a reason, and I mean a legit reason for either no caffeine, low cal, high caffeine, or light beer, or anything else. Discuss this with RCCL, and see if you can bring this on yourself. The Dr's note, should have no weight in this.

There is no other DIET caffeine free drinks on board.

I have been able to get Diet Caffeine free drinks on board the ship every cruise I have been on. Many of the bars have them, you just have to ask.

When the ship stops at a port of call, I will find a convience store buy some coke and bring it onboard. I have never been questioned or challanged about bringing it onboard. I don't hide it, I leave it in the shopping bag that I buy it in.

From RCI's "Guest Conduct Policy" found on their website....

"Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic nor non-alcoholic beverages onboard and Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage, etc.) at any time."

Now before I get flamed, I am NOT trying to say that these are the rules and you should follow them or else you are evil blah blah blah. (I am planning on carrying aboard some non-alcohol drinks on my upcoming cruise.) I am simply posting this so the OP is aware that this is the policy.

It appears from numerous posts in this thread and other threads that most of the time RCI doesn't give anyone problems with bringing non-alcoholic drinks onboard. You're probably not going to have a problem even without any kind of doctor's note. BUT, if this is that big of a deal to you then I would recommend trying to cover your butt as much as possible. Contact RCI, get a medical note, etc... If the OP has my luck, he/she will be the first one to have this policy actually enforced on them:D

Just be aware, that it appears to technically not be allowed, however it also appears that the policy is not enforced. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

I think people need to be educated about foods/liquids that can cause a specific reaction in people. And that certain foods/liquids may be quite necessary to have available at all times.

My husband is diabetic and can not drink diet sodas on the ship because they all contain phenylalanine or aspartame which he is highly allergic to. So we bring a few bottles of soda/juice that is sweetened with Splenda. We have never had a problem. Though we do carry a note from his doctor stating such.

Archived