Tracy Arm / Sawyer Glacer Tours from Juneau

chipmaster

Anyone do this?

I'm debating DIY, IE taking the bus to Mendenhall and hiking around. Versus take a private excursion to Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier

For better or worst the only Glacier we'll likely get a chance to get close to on this cruise would be on the Tracy Arm cruising and I'm hearing that the chance to get close to Sawyer is hit/miss in early July. Would like to get close, really close. Anyone do the Allen Marine Tours to Tracy Arm or use another outfit that did so in this time periord, late June/July?

Thanks!

PS: Pictures from this would be appreciated, recent and June/July timeframe

We went on Adventure Bound to Tracy Arm in July of 2006. I believe we were in Juneau on the 10th. We got very close to both glaciers. We also saw a ton or amazing icebergs and literally hundreds of seals. The fjord itself was beautiful with a number of memorable waterfalls. It was a long day but worth every minute! It was mostly a nice sunny day with periods of grayness but that added to the color of the glacier. This picture has not been retouched.

(I haven't posted pics for awhile and I only have these couple on my laptop. I have more if you are at all interested. Hope this worked!)

th_seals.jpg

th_35d54335.jpg

th_20e82eea.jpg

th_tracy14a.jpg

That's really the only way to see Tracy Arm. Wife and I went in on a cruise ship and had to turn around due to ice. The smaller boats can get much closer. It's really a spectacular area and worth your time. Adventure Tours comes highly recommended since they offer an all day trip.

Adventure Bound runs an 8am tour and if the demand is there also runs a 9am boat. I'd suggest calling them if you can't make the earlier tour, they were very helpful when I talked to them recently. I had done a trip with them a couple of years ago and haven't had a port schedule that would work to take the tour again until this year. Really enjoyed my trip with them

This came up recently. I'm only bringing it up because you mentioned Allen Marine. Allen Marine lists a 5 hr excursion from Juneau to Tracey arms. But that's a misnomer. That tour goes from the ship closer to Tracy Arms. If you're going to Tracey Arms from Juneau, the tours listed are 10, and 12 hours.

Just a heads up.

Hmm, you look right, got one response and its a whole day affair, looks like I could be stuck with the Princess offered as the only option, still looks like a sweet tour if they get as close as the pictures suggest.

Thanks!

This came up recently. I'm only bringing it up because you mentioned Allen Marine. Allen Marine lists a 5 hr excursion from Juneau to Tracey arms. But that's a misnomer. That tour goes from the ship closer to Tracy Arms. If you're going to Tracey Arms from Juneau, the tours listed are 10, and 12 hours.

Just a heads up.

We went with Adventue Bound. You have to walk pretty quickly to their dock, because the boat leaves whether you're on it or not. I don't remember how long the trip was, but we had some time at the end of the day to do a little shopping in town.

I can't judge distances, but we were pretty close to the glacier (it was around June 20th). When we got as close as the captain wanted, he shut off the engine and we sat there in silence (except for the seals barking and the glacier calving).

Highly recommend this tour.

a>

2981996490105344121AyQctF_th.jpg

What is your itinerary?? Princess, Carnival and NCL Tracy Arm itineraries, have an ADD on Tracy Arm ship tour, that is "necessary" in my opinion. FAR superior to the cruiseship sailing.

Otherwise you have to have at least a 7a-8pm port time, to do a round trip Juneau Tracy Arm boat tour.

What is your itinerary?? Princess, Carnival and NCL Tracy Arm itineraries, have an ADD on Tracy Arm ship tour, that is "necessary" in my opinion. FAR superior to the cruiseship sailing.

Otherwise you have to have at least a 7a-8pm port time, to do a round trip Juneau Tracy Arm boat tour.

Hi BudgetQueen,

I'm new to Alaska and our family have NCL star Sawyer itinerary this August. It only has port time from 7-1:30 on Juneau and they also offer Tracy Arm excursion. My question is :

1) some ppl on the board said Sawyer itinerary will cover Tracy Arm, is that true?

2) if we are taking the Tracy Arm sail from Juneau do we have enough time to get back on time?

3) Even if NCL Star's Sawyer route cover Tracy Arm, will the experience be the same as the excursion?

We are really appreciated if you and someone on the board can give us some advise. TIA

I'm sure BQ will respoond soon with her wealth of valuable info.

My take is that the straits are pretty ice clogged and depending on when you go its more likely miss than hit that you can sail close that you get great views and experience on the big ship. Want the big ship to be close to glacier one must do Hubard or Glaicer bay from what i understand which we weren't aple to fit into our price/schedule with 5 cabins of family.

My ship, does the "cruising" has 1/2 day like yours in Juneau. The 1/2 is NOT enough for an excursion from Juneau, to far for the smal boat and the time. I got confirmation of that from one tour operator. From what I understand some of the lines do offer a seperate small boat tour where you disembark while in Tracy Arm and it enables you to get much closer. It is pricey, but on our sailing the only way we are going to get close and see the ice/glacier. Based on many pictures I'm seeing it appear accurate few cruise ships get close to Sawyer. Not clear that the smaller boats get real close yet, but I've pre-reserved that excursion.

Good luck!

Hi BudgetQueen,

I'm new to Alaska and our family have NCL star Sawyer itinerary this August. It only has port time from 7-1:30 on Juneau and they also offer Tracy Arm excursion. My question is :

1) some ppl on the board said Sawyer itinerary will cover Tracy Arm, is that true?

2) if we are taking the Tracy Arm sail from Juneau do we have enough time to get back on time?

3) Even if NCL Star's Sawyer route cover Tracy Arm, will the experience be the same as the excursion?

We are really appreciated if you and someone on the board can give us some advise. TIA

Here are a few pics taken last July while we were on board the Adventure Bound, coming into the mouth of Tracy Arms traveling towards Sawyer Glacier. There were several ships in the Fjords and they had made it all the way to Sawyer Glacier, but that's where the similarities of the two trips (ship vs small boat) ended.

2248267490091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the RCCL Serenade of the Seas as it is leaving Tracy Arms.

2072119670091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

It's just you will be a lot closer on the small boat and I mean a LOT closer. This is a picture of the Rhapsody of the Seas as it is leaving Tracy Arms.

2814147870091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

Being close enough to touch the ice was well worth the time spent getting to the area. When the icebergs would roll over due to melting under the waterline and wave action probably due to the ships wakes, it was unforgettable to be so close.

2691378490091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

2457308350091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

Here is RCCL's Serenade of the Seas at their closest point to Sawyer. Don't get me wrong I really like viewing the ice from a ship if that is my only option at the time we just really, really like getting a lot closer.

2001925800091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

Calving at Sawyer - up close and personal.

2759398060091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

Also being at water level to see the wildlife upclose as opposed to the cruisers that were 50 to 100+ feet over the action

2418580540091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

2668449470091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

2488906230091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

Hi BudgetQueen,

For clarification- This tour is SIGNIFICANTLY enhanced compared to the ship access. You have FAR more opportunity for wildlife viewing and significantly closer glacier viewing.

HOW it works- you will board this boat tour direct at the ship, in Juneau- leaving 1/2 hour before the ship does (on the NCL Star itinerary, similar in reverse). You STILL have your morning, for Juneau touring. This boat tour, will take you all the way into Tracy Arm, to the South Sawyer Glacier. All along the way, there will be several stops, along with extended time at the glacier. You will THEN reboard your ship DIRECT in Tracy Arm, and take your cruiseship out of the arm. Here is a small photo sample of Tracy Arm. http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

For clarification- This tour is SIGNIFICANTLY enhanced compared to the ship access. You have FAR more opportunity for wildlife viewing and significantly closer glacier viewing.

HOW it works- you will board this boat tour direct at the ship, in Juneau- leaving 1/2 hour before the ship does (on the NCL Star itinerary, similar in reverse). You STILL have your morning, for Juneau touring. This boat tour, will take you all the way into Tracy Arm, to the South Sawyer Glacier. All along the way, there will be several stops, along with extended time at the glacier. You will THEN reboard your ship DIRECT in Tracy Arm, and take your cruiseship out of the arm. Here is a small photo sample of Tracy Arm. http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

At least on our sailing of the Star, that excursion is NOT being offered. You would need to see if they are offering it on each particular sailing that you are interested in.

WOW, those are spectacular scene, and you are right, close-up tour is definitely well worth every penny.

Thank you BQ for explaining how this tour work. Now it all make sense :D

And thanks all others for the pictures and advice. I think I know my decision now. Alaska here I come !!

BQ,

Do you know about Princess. We do the "cruise" 6-10am first, then end up in Juneau I think 2-10pm. I see then offering a tour as well, pre-reserved? I assume they let you off somewhere after they enter Tracy Arm and pick us up before they sail for Juneau? I prebooked this already, looks like a must do :D You believe that in early July the chances are poor for the larger mother ship to get close right? The pictures from the RCCL looked close enough for my DW, but I know I really don't want to miss the opportunity to get close, the wildlife isn't a priority.

Thanks

Anyone do this?

I'm debating DIY, IE taking the bus to Mendenhall and hiking around. Versus take a private excursion to Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier

For better or worst the only Glacier we'll likely get a chance to get close to on this cruise would be on the Tracy Arm cruising and I'm hearing that the chance to get close to Sawyer is hit/miss in early July. Would like to get close, really close.

Just a note. You will not get really close from hiking around Mendenhall on your own. You will either need to go with an extended hiking tour, helicopter up to the top, or do the kayak rental that's one of the current threads.

BQ,

Do you know about Princess. We do the "cruise" 6-10am first, then end up in Juneau I think 2-10pm. I see then offering a tour as well, pre-reserved? I assume they let you off somewhere after they enter Tracy Arm and pick us up before they sail for Juneau? I prebooked this already, looks like a must do :D You believe that in early July the chances are poor for the larger mother ship to get close right? The pictures from the RCCL looked close enough for my DW, but I know I really don't want to miss the opportunity to get close, the wildlife isn't a priority.

Thanks

You can contact Allen Marine directly and inquire, but I will say- you will take the ship into Tracy Arm, then disembark, taking the boat tour, back to Juneau?

Cruise ships sailing Tracy Arm, are very risky, putting a lot of faith in them getting full access to the South Sawyer Glacier. Probably less than 25% of the sailings do so, and that also means ones that sight a mile+++ away. This is all season long. No way to predict who will make it. It's a matter of VERY tight timeframes, and requiring perfect conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, been reading the boards a lot and really want to use Adventure Bound for the Tracy Arm exploration. The only problem is we are in Juneau 7:30am-8:30pm, and the boat for Adventure Bound leaves at 7:30! Does anyone know any way around this? Or has anybody had an arrival time at 7:30am and been able to make this excursion? Adventure Bound says they can get a later boat going but only if more people go. I'm so disappointed b/c this looks like the perfect excursion for us...Those pics are magnificent!!!

It's too bad b/c I see that a lot of folks aren't in port long enough to be able to do this one. Our ship is, but we arrive too late...:(

Budget Queen, or anyone...any advice?

Hello, been reading the boards a lot and really want to use Adventure Bound for the Tracy Arm exploration. The only problem is we are in Juneau 7:30am-8:30pm, and the boat for Adventure Bound leaves at 7:30! Does anyone know any way around this? Or has anybody had an arrival time at 7:30am and been able to make this excursion? Adventure Bound says they can get a later boat going but only if more people go. I'm so disappointed b/c this looks like the perfect excursion for us...Those pics are magnificent!!!

It's too bad b/c I see that a lot of folks aren't in port long enough to be able to do this one. Our ship is, but we arrive too late...:(

First thing I would do is go to your roll call thread and post links to the tour and start talking to folks to see if you can scare up some more passengers.

Unless they have changed their times they used to leave at 8:00 am and sometimes at 9:00 a.m. They require you to be at the dock a half hour before. On our 9:00 a.m. tour they did leave at 8:45 a.m. Call them and see if they are running a 9:00 a.m. tour on your date. If they are, you need to be at their dock at 8:30 and you would be returning by 7:00 p.m. We returned at 6:40 p.m. if my memory serves me right. It is a great tour and I highly recommend it.

Thanks Steve...I have already posted on my roll call...no luck yet!

Yes, vbmom, they must have changed their times slightly. I spoke with them on the phone and they said 7:30 and that if my cruise ship docks at 7:30a that it's cutting it too close. There are 2 other cruise ships in Juneau that day, ours arrives at 7:30, and the other 2 not until 8am, but she said they run the tour for others visiting Juneau (not just for cruisers!). I suppose I can always play it by ear, and contact them upon arrival to see if we can make it but that will be just pure luck...

Adventure Bound will only take the 2nd boat out if they get a total of 10 people so I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'll get responses from my roll call...Heard so many amazing things..I'll be so disappointed if it doesn't work.

Thx for your replies!:)

Thanks Steve...I have already posted on my roll call...no luck yet!

Yes, vbmom, they must have changed their times slightly. I spoke with them on the phone and they said 7:30 and that if my cruise ship docks at 7:30a that it's cutting it too close. There are 2 other cruise ships in Juneau that day, ours arrives at 7:30, and the other 2 not until 8am, but she said they run the tour for others visiting Juneau (not just for cruisers!). I suppose I can always play it by ear, and contact them upon arrival to see if we can make it but that will be just pure luck...

Adventure Bound will only take the 2nd boat out if they get a total of 10 people so I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'll get responses from my roll call...Heard so many amazing things..I'll be so disappointed if it doesn't work.

Thx for your replies!:)

What month are you going? I was there in mid-June 2008 and they started the 9:00 a.m. tour the week we were there and it was full. They continued it until sometime in early August. There were only two other people on our tour that were from a cruise ship. It is mostly a locals tour. I would keep checking back with Winona, because she may get enough locals sign up to run that boat. Keep your fingers crossed.

Just a few weeks ago, I booked our family of 4 with Adventure Bound for 7/20. Our ship will be in Juneau from 7am - 8:30pm. Since we were cutting it too close with the 7am arrival, she scheduled us for the 8:30am boat with a return at 6:30pm. No mention of needing more passengers to meet a minimum. She (Stefanie with Adventure Bound) emailed me a boarding pass that allows us to head straight to the boat in the morning to speed up the check-in process, too. She also included a map with directions to simplify things. :) Hope this helps.

Hi All:

am a bit confused.......:confused: I am leaving for Alaska Aug 24. I have booked the Tracy A. excursion. Some reviews say you don't actually miss much from the ship and it is not worth the money to book the excursion. Is this true, since in August the ship can go closer and not worry about the ice. Sorry, I am new to cruising and forums.....

I do enjoy reading the threads.:)

Thanks

Archived