Best hotel in Southampton

Presto2

This thread was suppose to be the best hotel to stay in Southampton, it as become a list of the worst hotels, even matching Trip Advisor for horror upon horror.

Southampton seems to have nothing the recomend it even before you get to the hotels. I was only going down for a ships visit, but on reading all this I'm hoping to persuade my other half to pass on it. I don't need the agro and would sooner stay somewhere of choice which is nearer, cleaner, and more friendly, and not a cesspit humanity.

We've stayed in both the Holiday Inn and Novotel over a Friday night, and had no noise or trouble, and we walked through town from the Oxford Bar without any problems. Our trouble with the Etap was because we were in a room overlooking MacDonald's, which seemed to be the meeting place for revellers after the clubs shut. We'd go back to the other two without hesitation.

Jo.

The Dolphin is a pleasant hotel, just a minute or two to the Town Centre (it is on the High Street) with plenty of places to eat out nearby. A taxi to and from the cruise ship is around £5 - and Southampton taxis have a £3.50 minimum fare no matter how near the hotel is to the ship - but, because the hotel does not have Aircon in the bedrooms I would avoid the Dolphin on Friday & Saturday nights in summer - there can be noise from nearby bars which might disturb you with the windows open.

The corridors twist and turn, so if you are carryiing loads of cases it can be a bit of a nuisance compared to more modern hotels.

However - friendly staff, a building with character and a great location (Weatherspoons is 3 doors away for a cheap - and good - breakfast, town centre shops a bloick further up) all run in it's favour. Put A/C (or at least good fans) in the rooms and it would tick every box.

The Dolphin is a pleasant hotel, just a minute or two to the Town Centre (it is on the High Street) with plenty of places to eat out nearby. A taxi to and from the cruise ship is around £5 - and Southampton taxis have a £3.50 minimum fare no matter how near the hotel is to the ship - but, because the hotel does not have Aircon in the bedrooms I would avoid the Dolphin on Friday & Saturday nights in summer - there can be noise from nearby bars which might disturb you with the windows open.

The corridors twist and turn, so if you are carryiing loads of cases it can be a bit of a nuisance compared to more modern hotels.

However - friendly staff, a building with character and a great location (Weatherspoons is 3 doors away for a cheap - and good - breakfast, town centre shops a bloick further up) all run in it's favour. Put A/C (or at least good fans) in the rooms and it would tick every box.

Hi thanks for that. Must admit, now that we know what to expect we will be more than happy. We love old hotels with character so it seems just up our street. Our taxi ride to the port is included in the stay, as is Half Board. As for being noisy the night before our cruise ---- I never sleep before a holiday anyway as I get so excited (and when flying nervous too!) so I think we may open a bottle of vino and join in with the singing ! :):):)

Archived