Ship vibrations

starcraft

I was on QM2 just a couple of days ago. we were dining in the britannia restaurant and sometimes we felt some vibrations from the ship? Is it because auf the bearings from the pods? Never felt that before. the sea was very calm.

This can`t be normal. Do you have more information about it.

Regards

Nothing to do with the pods, even though the sea is calm you can still get this at times though less on QM2 than on any other I have sailed.

David.

Most of the vibrations and engine sounds I have felt occur in the wide corridor forward of the two levels of the Britannina Restaurant.

I was on QM2 just a couple of days ago. we were dining in the britannia restaurant and sometimes we felt some vibrations from the ship? Is it because auf the bearings from the pods? Never felt that before. the sea was very calm.

Regards

They are GOOD VIBRATIONS!:D

In 2006 we were on the QM2 sailing from Mexico to Ft Lauderdale when suddenly the ship started vibrating very noticeably. We were in the Princess Grill at lunch time and the dishes were rattling. Turns out the captain speed up the ship to full power to meet a helicopter flying out from Key West to evacuate a passenger with a medical emergency. I mentioned this to Captain Rand on our 2007 trip and he recalled that they had the ship up to almost 30 knots that afternoon.

steve

They are GOOD VIBRATIONS!:D

As an engineer I've been down in the source of the vibrations on various ships. The huge diesels are rumbling hard to keep up with the demand of energy needed for propulsion and hotel load. Compared to what we can feel a floor higher it's quite noisy down there in the engine room. If it is silent, we'll stay/sit in the dark. So I'm totally with you its GOOD VIBRATIONS! And I personally like to walk the way to the Queens room where one can feel the good vibrations best on QM2. Also to dance a waltz and feel the massive power of QM2 beneath my feet is like being in engineers heaven.

Kind regards the engineer

As an engineer I've been down in the source of the vibrations on various ships. The huge diesels are rumbling hard to keep up with the demand of energy needed for propulsion and hotel load. Compared to what we can feel a floor higher it's quite noisy down there in the engine room. If it is silent, we'll stay/sit in the dark. So I'm totally with you its GOOD VIBRATIONS! And I personally like to walk the way to the Queens room where one can feel the good vibrations best on QM2. Also to dance a waltz and feel the massive power of QM2 beneath my feet is like being in engineers heaven.

Kind regards the engineer

And tthose vibrations are ever so slight on the QM2 compared to some of the older ships. Now my first cruise was in 1981 on the SS Britanis, the former lovely SS Monterey. and that ship truly vibrated. Our cabin was right over the engine room and the vibration truly nearly threw us out of the bed. Now they were VERY GOOD Vibrations!

Every ship vibrates somewhere onboard,The QE2 had various creeks and vibrations,but she was still the best.

Yes! Ships need to move and vibrate and creek and roll The charm of being on a ship is that it is one with the sea and the sea is constant motion. It is just part of the cruise experience.:)

Regards

We felt a definite vibration on the QM2 twice in 2008 - once in the King's Court and once in our cabin on deck12. It lasted around a minute and we haven't noticed anything like it since on either ship.

Archived