Question about all aboard times

How strict is RCL with the all aboard times? I want to plan plenty of time to get back without issue but I was wondering about why it is so far ahead of departure time from the port.

I have searched here, RC.com and google but I think I must be using the wrong phrasing to get the answer I want.

How strict is RCL with the all aboard times? I want to plan plenty of time to get back without issue but I was wondering about why it is so far ahead of departure time from the port.

I have searched here, RC.com and google but I think I must be using the wrong phrasing to get the answer I want.

In almost every instance, passengers have to be back on board 30 minutes before the ship is scheduled to sail. To me that doesn't qualify as "so far ahead of departure time from the port". Invariably there are stragglers who arrive at the last possible minute, so building in a thirty minute cushion hardly seems unrealistic. With the system that scans passengers sea pass cards as they reboard the ship, I have experienced occasions where, because everyone was back on board and accounted for, the ship actually left the dock a few minutes early.:)

For some countries being stopped at (more common in Europe) there are some reporting regulations for the local authorities to assure everyone who got off got back on. Getting everyone on in time makes this faster and avoids delaying actual departure time. For international cruises your passenger records include passport info for identity cross matching with seapass scanning on reboarding. They might leave anyway but the locals will have a list of who to go looking for.

Archived