Panama Canal Question

Bored today and started reading some of the Ports of Call threads....

I know many of you fellow RSSC cruisers have done the Panama Canal voyage already so maybe you can help me out ~ do we get off the ship during the crossing?? I see other posters have discussed various things they have done, but then when I look at people's photos of the crossing it doesn't appear that there would be any place to go along the canal that isn't dirty and "port like". Can someone clue me in?

I don't think RSSC stops in Gatun Lake any more, so I don't think there is an opportunity to get off any more. In 2006, we did a Panama Canal segment and there was a day spent at anchor at Gatun Lake Yacht Club. It was a special day. When we did the PC transit again in 2008, the ship just went straight through with no stops. Looking at the schedule of future Panama Canal transits on the RSSC website, I did not see any stops or port activities listed on the itineraries for the PC transit day. Debbie

Depends on the cruise. On the one Mrs Paint Horse and I were on from Los Angeles to Miami we just passed through. The process took all day. There was no delay at any point. We sailed right up to the entrance and into the lock after waiting for one ship to clear the lock.

I have heard of some lines stopping at some yacht club in the canal. The opinions I have read concerning this stop is do not bother. As to swimming in the canal I would point out that we were amazed at the size and number of alligators we saw.

Several years ago we took a cruise TO Panama, not through the canal. the ship was docked in Colon. We took a bus tour across the Isthmus, including a stop at the Gatun locks, and on to Panama City, where we had a great walking tour and a decent lunch before heading back to Colon.

At the time, I remember wishing that we had sailed through the canal, but it was a bargain cruise. Now, with a canal cruise coming up next February that probably won't stop in Panama, I'm really glad we had the opportunity to see a little of the canal zone, and the operation of one of the locks, from the land side. It adds to the perspective we will have while sailing through the canal.

I also just finished reading David McCallum's excellent history of the building of the canal, and that really added to the anticipation.

Bored today and started reading some of the Ports of Call threads....

I know many of you fellow RSSC cruisers have done the Panama Canal voyage already so maybe you can help me out ~ do we get off the ship during the crossing?? I see other posters have discussed various things they have done, but then when I look at people's photos of the crossing it doesn't appear that there would be any place to go along the canal that isn't dirty and "port like". Can someone clue me in?

On this years S.A. cruise we just sailed thru but a Holland America ship ahead of us stopped after going thru and pax could tender to land and watch the ships going thru, I have seen other cruise lines post stops in or around the canal. Have done the canal twice and it is awe inspiring:)

We transited the Canal in 2007 on the Mariner, and there was a stop at the Lake Gatun Yacht Club (complimentary, as RSSC was not all-inclusive then) as well as several other available excursions. The "Yacht Club" was pretty much a run-down bar, some tables of local handicrafts, and a local band.

By all means read "The Path Between the Seas" -- I got it at the last minute on a friend's recommendation, and finished the final pages while we were transiting. It will enhance your experience enormously.

Besides reading The Path Between the Seas, there are a couple of TV documentaries worth watching. The one I watched was called "A Man, a Plan, a Canal - Panama." It is narrated by David McCullough, the author of The Path Between the Seas." The documentaries are available on Netflix and other sites or video stores.

Dave

We transited the Canal in 2007 on the Mariner, and there was a stop at the Lake Gatun Yacht Club (complimentary, as RSSC was not all-inclusive then) as well as several other available excursions. The "Yacht Club" was pretty much a run-down bar, some tables of local handicrafts, and a local band.

We also transited the Canal on the April 2007 Ft Lauderdale to San Fransisco cruise, and agree with all you say. Some went on bird watching trips; we went on a boat trip on the lake, The interesting part was seeing the locks from the landward side.

All in all a memorable trip though

I was on the Panama Canal in December/January. We were to stop at Fuente Amador, Panama but due to two medevacs the first 2 days of the trip, we were a day late transiting the canal and we missed the new stop.

I've always enjoyed the canal transit, we've had very good lecturers and the people provided by the canal comission have been excellent as well.

I guess to answer OP's original question: no. the ship does not stop in the canal any more. I just looked at the Regent site and the 3 cruises (through 2011) I could find confirm that.

Peggy

On our Panama Canal cruise in 2005 we stopped at the Gatun Lake "Yacht Club". Yacht Club is a strange name for it...it seemed to have lots of small stalls full of local "curios", none of which were very interesting and folkloric dancing, which I happen to hate! But for us this stop was the highlight of the cruise as we took a helicopter ride over the canal, swooping down over the locks, and seeing the remains of the Fernch abortice try at creating the canal. It was really amazing and though it cost an arm and a leg I would do it again in a flash.

Archived